You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Miserable or discourtious sports personalities

edited March 2010 in The Shed

Once went to see an exhibition game of snooker between Jimmy White and John Virgo during the tv show 'Big Break's' heyday. The queue to get in was down both sides of a 100ft corridor and Jimmy walked up it and everyone was cheering while he slapped everyone's hands as he was walking and he was rubbing the kids heads and signing autographs and lapped it up. Two minutes later John Virgo got the same reception but just walked past everyone looking straight ahead and miserable and acknowledged nobody who had paid to line his pockets and kids waving autograph books. Well ignorant it was. By the time he had got half way up the corridor no one was clapping anymore and everyone was just looking at each other in disbelief.

Then during the match he put on those big Dennis Taylor glasses and started to crack jokes but everyone knew it was just false and that he was really a misery and didn't laugh at him. Served him right the stuck up burke lol.

Only other person who i have met who was just as bad as him was Robbie Keane. He was well up his own 'you know what' looking for the light switch.

Has anyone else been snubbed by a high and mighty celeb ? if so what did they do ?

Comments

• edited March 2010
    Diouf once told me to "F" off.

But it was because I shouted him away from his warm-up handed him a pen and paper then asked would he go and get Gerrards autograph for me.

Other than that I havn't had much dealings with famous sport personallities.
  • edited March 2010
    Many years ago, about 30+, my father was umpiring in a cricket match at Grimsby CC in a testimonial match for I think Barry Duddlestone( though it may have been Norman McVicar, there were a lot of these that my father umpired around that time). Anyway, because my dad was out in the field, i got to do the scoring in the book. Among those playing was a certain Mr Geoffrey Boycott, at that time my total hero and the greatest cricketer in the world. He batted for the pro team against the best of the local players and was out for about 12 runs. As he came back into the pavillion i asked him if he would sign the scorebook for me and he told me to **** off in his typically Yorkshire accent. So i guess he counts as my memory.

As a footnote, one of the organising committee, overheard this exchange, had a word with the bigwigs and they got me a bat signed by all the pro player's that where there on the day, even Geoff, so the day ended well enough.

NB: edit 13/03.. Looked through my late father's stuff and found that it was in fact Ray Illingworth Testimonial year.
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Miserable or discourtious sports personalities:
    Diouf once told me to "F" off. But it was because I shouted him away from his warm-up handed him a pen and paper then asked would he go and get Gerrards autograph for me. Other than that I havn't had much dealings with famous sport personallities.
    Posted by Mr_Miyagi
    think yourself lucky he didn't put a curse on you, or gob in your face.
  • edited March 2010
    THAT SAM ALLAYDCE IS A MISERABLE GET(SHOCK HORROR) A FEW SEASONS BACK JUST AFTER THE PANORAMA FOOTBALL CORRUPTION SHOW. HE WAS AT FRATTON PARK SCOUTING THE MATCH HE WAS LEAVING JUST BEFORE THE END AND ALL I SHOUTED WAS "HEY SAM IS THAT BROWN ENVELOPE ON THE SEAT YOURS"
    THE WAY HE LOOKED AT ME YOU WOULD HAVE THOUGHT I RUN OVER HIS CAT AND NO AUTOGRAPH EITHER, SOME PEOPLE EH!
  • edited March 2010
    yeah micky quinn,i were down fratton park about oer 86 or 87 anyway hed just come out of prison and the stoke fans were giving him loads and making der der der der noises (the old police car siren) and you know what he did the miserable sod,he goes and bangs a hatrick ,yeah laughing his balls off while he was doing it ,ungreatful sod.i was miserable on the way home on a c rappy bus that kept breaking down,didnt even get back for a pint i tells ya
  • edited March 2010
    yeah micky quinn,i were down fratton park about oer 86 or 87 anyway hed just come out of prison and the stoke fans were giving him loads and making der der der der noises (the old police car siren) and you know what he did the miserable sod,he goes and bangs a hatrick ,yeah laughing his balls off while he was doing it ,ungreatful sod.i was miserable on the way home on a c rappy bus that kept breaking down,didnt even get back for a pint i tells ya
    Posted by stokefc
    I WAS AT THAT GAME GETTING HAMMERED MUST HAVE BEEN BAD ENOUGH WITHOUT SOME SMUG FAT SCOUSER GRINNING AT YOU MUST HAVE PUT THE CHERRY ON THE TOP DIDNT HE PUT THE HATRICK BALL UP HIS SHIRT FOR GOOD MEASURE LOL 
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Miserable or discourtious sports personalities:
    Once went to see an exhibition game of snooker between Jimmy White and John Virgo during the tv show 'Big Break's' heyday. The queue to get in was down both sides of a 100ft corridor and Jimmy walked up it and everyone was cheering while he slapped everyone's hands as he was walking and he was rubbing the kids heads and signing autographs and lapped it up. Two minutes later John Virgo got the same reception but just walked past everyone looking straight ahead and miserable and acknowledged nobody who had paid to line his pockets and kids waving autograph books. Well ignorant it was. By the time he had got half way up the corridor no one was clapping anymore and everyone was just looking at each other in disbelief. Then during the match he put on those big Dennis Taylor glasses and started to crack jokes but everyone knew it was just false and that he was really a misery and didn't laugh at him. Served him right the stuck up burke lol. Only other person who i have met who was just as bad as him was Robbie Keane. He was well up his own 'you know what' looking for the light switch. Has anyone else been snubbed by a high and mighty celeb ? if so what did they do ?
    Posted by AIRWALKER
    Must be a thing with snooker pros, i watched terry griffiths at a Butlins exhibition when i was about 15, after the match he was signing autographs and it was a tenner if you had bought his official photograph or a fiver if it was on your own paper the miserable g i t lool - no i didnt bother getting it.
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Miserable or discourtious sports personalities : I WAS AT THAT GAME GETTING HAMMERED MUST HAVE BEEN BAD ENOUGH WITHOUT SOME SMUG FAT SCOUSER GRINNING AT YOU MUST HAVE PUT THE CHERRY ON THE TOP DIDNT HE PUT THE HATRICK BALL UP HIS SHIRT FOR GOOD MEASURE LOL 
    Posted by BADBOY985
    i remember it well they put us in the ground 11/2 b4 kick off.the naughty 40 were formed that day,not that im proud of that but i can remember all the lads being restless down the front of the terrace