You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Weekend footy betting (Sat 13th)

edited March 2010 in The Shed
Hopefully the form book won't go out the window on me (and most others) like it has in recent weeks.

Just the 2 bets for me this weekend.

Main Acca:

Coventry to beat Plymouth (H) @ 8/11
Ipswich to beat Scunthorpe (H) @ 4/6
Swansea to beat Sheff Weds (H) @ 4/7
Morecambe to beat Grimsby (H) @ 4/5
Inverness to beat Morton (H) @ 4/7

These 5 are paying 11/1 which is decent value for 5 home wins (especially considering their home form as well).

Coventry have won 6 & drawn 1 of their last 7 at the Ricoh. The last side to beat them there in the league was Newcastle (1-3) back at the beginning of December. In contrast Plymouth have lost 4 of their last 6 on the road & have lost 12 from 17 away all season (winning 4).
On the face of it Ipswich's home form has been a bit shaky this season having drawn 10 of their 16 at Portman road. However, the last side to actually win there was Newcastle (spooky) when they won 0-4 back in September. Ipswich won against Cardiff in midweek & are slowly starting to look like the team most people thought they'd be in the summer. Scunthorpe have one of the worst away records in the division having lost 11 from 17 on the road. They've lost 4 of their last 6 away conceding 13 goals in the process.
Swansea have been solid if unspectacular at home this season. They've only lost 2 from 17 there against Forest & Boro right back at the start of the season. Despite initially picking up under Alan Irvine, Sheffield Wednesday have suffered on the road. They've won once (Vs Barnsley in January) & lost 5 of their last 6 on the road.
I'm surprised that Morecambe aren't a shorter price than this against a poor Grimsby side. They've only lost 3 at home all season & have picked up some impressive wins against some of the divisions better sides. Grimsby are fast heading for the conference. They've drawn far too many games & have struggled for goals home & away only scoring 38 in 34 games.
Inverness are the form team in the Scottish 1st division. They're now 10 games unbeaten home & away. They come up against a Morton side who are currently 2nd bottom & have already lost 4-1 away at Inverness earlier in the season.

Long Shot:

Arsenal (-1) to beat Hull (A) @ 11/10
Reading to beat Bristol City (H) @ 4/5
Millwall to beat Charlton (H) @ 5/4
Norwich to beat Huddersfield (A) @ 6/4
Southampton to beat Leeds (H) @ 13/8

These 5 are paying a whopping 55/1 so well worth a small dabble.

Arsenal are either gonna scrape past Hull or hit them for a cricket score. Personally I think it's more likely to be the latter for a number of reasons. They knocked 5 past Porto in midweek & know that they can at least keep pace at the top with a decent win. Reading are the form team in the Championship at the moment & Bristol City have generally been poor away from Ashton Gate. Saying that, they did win at Crystal Palace in midweek so I expect this to be fairly tight. Millwall are strong at home with their only defeat there coming at the hands of Wycombe of all teams. Charlton are a bit of a mixed bag at the moment but I suspect Millwall to be too strong for them. Whilst Huddersfield have yet to lose at home this season they are showing signs of stumbling, drawing their last 4 there. That 1st defeat is gonna come sooner or later and at 6/4 it's very difficult to ignore Norwich who (as I predicted back in the summer) are ripping this division apart. Southampton is really more of a gut instinct pick for me. They have been strong at St Mary's & Leeds have been a bit iffy since the turn of the year (I still can't figure out how Brentford managed to get a draw at Elland Road last week?).

Good luck to all having a bet and hopefully there will be a few of us celebrating tomorrow evening.

Jay

Comments

• edited March 2010
    Nice post...

Have a look at rushden and diamonds, northampton and livingston too...

my 4 fold is....

the 3 teams above along with coventry.

my outside bet (treble) would be....

Newcastle 6/4
    Millwall 11/10
    leicester evens

a 10 pound bet pays 104...

Hope more people come in with opinions and bets!

Mike
  • edited March 2010
    Good afternoon, we're gonna bash the bookies this weekend, i can feel it. Here's my banker acca(i don't normally bet on dinner time kick-offs but i think Spurs are gonna fly outta the blocks):

Chelsea
    Arsenal
    Spurs
    Coventry
    Bristol Rovers
    Northampton
    Brechin
    Livingston

Pays 24/1

I'll post my draw and longshot accas soon.

Good luck everyone.
  • edited March 2010

Hey regular shed heads - Ive posted this on the dilemma thread, but feel time is slipping away.

I need a website that will deliver a card and/or some present for tomorrow....anyone any ideas? Moonpig wont do it till monday :( 

- will post some sports bets later....thanx
  • edited March 2010
    Here goes my acca for today:

Coventry
    Ipswich
    Sheff Utd
    Watford
    West Brom
    Chesterfield
    Morecambe

48/1

GL ME
  • edited March 2010

got 2 accumulators on 2day 

shalke - stutgart (win)
    Bolton - wigan
    Spurs - blackburn
    West brom - Blackpool
    Ipswich - scunthorpe
    Swansea - sheff weds
    Coventry - plymouth

40/1 for seven home wins so worth a flutter

And here is my extreme long shot

birmingham - Everton
    Bolton - wigan
    burnley - Wolves
    stoke - Villa
    Coventry
    - plymouth
    Doncaster - derby
    Leicester - cardiff
    boro - Newcastle
    Saints
    - leeds
    Milwall - charlton
    Orient - walsall
    huddersfield - Norwich
    carlise - Colchester
    Bristol rovers
    - tranmere
    brighton - Swindon

this is paying a whopping 208609/1  never going to happen but worth 5p

good luck everyone - lets win some money

• edited March 2010
    Here's my draw acca:

Brum v Everton
    Stoke v Villa
    The Dingles v Palace
    Hudds v Norwich
    Orient v Walsall

Pays 414/1

Shabba
  • edited March 2010
    heres hoping for a good day, last weekend was shocking to say the least

todays bet is

coventry
    west brom
    bristol rovers
    chesterfield
    morecambe
    brechin

£10 acc paying 27/1
  • edited March 2010
    Here's my longshot acca:

Doncaster
    Ipswich
    Newcastle
    Preston/Forest Draw
    Reading
    Swansea
    West Brom
    Millwall
    Chesterfield
    Morecambe

Pays 956/1
  • edited March 2010

Good grief, things are looking bleak already. Pile of gash!

• edited March 2010
    A fairly decent day for me so far.

I've cashed in the only DYM SnG I've played & came 2nd in the £50 guaranteed MTT for £31 so a tidy little profit there.

My main acca went all pear shaped with only 2 of the 5 winning & the other 3 drawing.

However, I'm still on for my long shot. By the sounds of things Reading were quite comfortable against a poor Bristol City team. Millwall thumped Charlton, Southampton scrapped past Leeds & despite being 1-0 down at half time Norwich came back to beat Huddersfield to inflict their first league defeat of the season at the Galpharm.

All I need is for Arsenal to win by 2 goals or more at Hull & I'm laughing.

For 90 minutes (plus injury time!) ONLY, I will be an Arsenal fan. COME ON YOU GOONERS!!!!!!
  • edited March 2010
    45 to go at Hull & it's 1-1 so I still need 2 goals without reply for Arsenal in the 2nd half.

However, Hull are now down to 10 men so I'm still confident.
  • edited March 2010
    I hope for your sake they bash a few past them in the 2nd half...Wish i had followed ur tips and got on at 55/1 booom..My football bets got done over 2day with cheltenham beating burton 6-5 & chesterfield getting stuffed at home..My lucks all out lol
  • edited March 2010
    Not looking too good really. 10 minutes to get 2 goals. Saying that I'm sure Cheltenham scored at least 3 in the last 5-10 minutes at Burton so you never know. 

Here's hoping.
  • edited March 2010
    Damn you Arsenal. 

After 10 minutes of the 2nd half I just knew it would finish 1-2. And the really annoying thing about it is Hull shouldn't have been given the penalty in the first place cos the guy was clearly offside when the ball was played in. 

So close.
  • edited March 2010
    I hereby declare that Chesterfield have been banned from our football bets until further notice.
  • edited March 2010
    Sorry i did'nt get round to posting my bets this week, working nights but it was a utter shambles Chesterfield to win Burton/cheltham under 2.5 goals the list goes on.

Even had a bet on the horse moonooo suggested which is on its way to the glue factory as i type lol.

Had a big bet on arsenal/hull both teams to score which covered all my loses and gave me a small profit.

Sorry silentbob but he was clearly onside and that penalty was goal of the season as far as i'm concerned lol.

Holding my own this season but haven't had the really big win yet when all the teams that should win do win.

Be lucky. 
  • edited March 2010
    The UK footy bets have been an absolute NIGHTMARE over the last few weeks. I have hit the underside of the bar twice in the last few weeks on my Sunday World/Euro coupon on Sky Bet, but because I always select 9 teams and perm them in nine-eight folds and an acca, I have made a decent profit. Have not been posting my selections for these Sunday games for fear of looking like a complete Potato and some of the teams sounding like wind-ups (lol) Anyone looking to make a profit on Football betting will either be betting on singles, short priced doubles/trebles or perms. A straight acca with more than 5 or 6 selections is a mugs bet. I have been let down today by Bohemians (Czech league I think) who drew 1-1, but got a return of £50 from my remaining 8-fold for an outlay of £2.50 (9 x 8 folds and an acca @ 25p). If anyone would like my Sunday selections, then please let me know....Don`t curse me though!!!! its a bet that will run dry for weeks/months, but this is my 4th this season that has gave me an eight fold, so I am way in profit (at level stakes for this bet) That elusive 9th selection = party hats and streamers. I just need someone who is lucky to place my selections to help me out!!! LOL
  • edited March 2010
    I'll help you emilyegg. It's bound to come in if i stick it on. ;-)
  • edited March 2010
    QUICK!!! Mr Miyagi is running in the 2.09 at fortune meadows @ 20/1
  • edited March 2010
    Rats...it came 9th out of 11 runners
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Weekend footy betting (Sat 13th):
    I'll help you emilyegg. It's bound to come in if i stick it on. ;-)
    Posted by Quagmire72
    We WILL sup cocktails with carefree abandon at Hooters...It is just a case of WHEN.