You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

5% bankroll rule

edited March 2010 in Poker Chat
This is the first time ive ever had the luxuary of using the 5% bankroll rule. After winning and competing in enough touraments and DYM;s ive built a stong enough bankroll to do so. So without sounding too rude, im going to ask, how many people actually follow this 5% rule and how affective have they felt it is.

For all my bankroll isnt yet 100% where id like it to be i actually feel like its going rapidly in the right direction, and when it goes all wrong im secure enough to recover it with one or two tournaments of a DYM. Although Sharkscope says im on tilt i feel like im playing some of the best poker if not thee best poker ive ever played, and alot of it is down to being able to relax because if i lose ive enjoyed myself and i can still do so. Even then i feel like i can go into another tournament even if ive just watched my AA being beaten by A2 relax and recover mentally to play well again.

Comments

• edited March 2010

the don !! - 10/10 for enthusiasm fella, n ignore sharkscope it dunt know what its on about !!!

Saw u in the spt qualifier to Glasgow earlier how did u do?

And on a side note, ne idea how much the qualifiers to the final r gonna beeeee?

DOH 
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: 5% bankroll rule:
    the don !! - 10/10 for enthusiasm fella, n ignore sharkscope it dunt know what its on about !!! Saw u in the spt qualifier to Glasgow earlier how did u do? And on a side note, ne idea how much the qualifiers to the final r gonna beeeee? DOH 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    last year the buyin to the final was £210 i think, and they ran satellites 1 in 10, i dont recall there being 1 in 5 satellites which was a shame as 1 in 10 are really annoying, i just ended up buying in after winning £1500 on football betting. i think this final is bigger so who knows just hope they do 1 in 5 go through though
  • edited March 2010

Ahhh the 5% rule lol

It divides opinion on here, there's a thread way way back in the archives where i asked the question and got lots of response on both sides.

Here's my take on it. I don't use 5%. i Don't do it because i have no NEED to stay in the game, and thats the reason that BRM is good. I play for fun so i play the amount i want to play against the opponents i want to play. I buy into whatever tournament i feel like playing by simply depositing enough to cover it.

If you need to play all the time, if your high stakes or a doing this as a proffesion (or if you ever have asperations of doing this) then BRM is essential. If your playing for a laugh then the most important thing is to play what's fun and financially viable to you.

I refuse to beleive that some of the players playing 15 - 30, 20 - 40 etc have the rolls to be there but if there doing it for fun and the any money won is a bonus then why not?

I set myself a challange recently to take £25 i'd won in a freeroll and spin it up (obviously something like this can not be done within the 5% rule unless you want it take 5 years lol). At the highest point I span this to £640 in 2 - 3 weeks and when i ended the challange i'd cashed £520 off the site. Now i could have left the money on and stayed in the game, but why win it all without enjoying it ?

• edited March 2010

the don !! - 10/10 for enthusiasm fella, n ignore sharkscope it dunt know what its on about !!! Saw u in the spt qualifier to Glasgow earlier how did u do? And on a side note, ne idea how much the qualifiers to the final r gonna beeeee? DOH 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    The SPT qualifier didnt exactly go to plan. On the 1 - 5 satellite into the Semi i bubbled, although i am suspisious of alot of co-ollition (spelling) in the final four. Although nothing was said in the chat box ill read out a few hands.

heres the hand on the bubble i went out on (fair enough no complaints he hit one of his 3 outs)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    bobby786 Small blind 600.00 600.00 17310.00
    The_Don90 Big blind  1200.00 1800.00 1360.00
      Your hole cards
    • K

kingkenned Call  1200.00 3000.00 11330.00
    bobby786 Call  600.00 3600.00 16710.00
    The_Don90 All-in  1360.00 4960.00 0.00
    kingkenned Call  1360.00 6320.00 9970.00
    bobby786 Fold     
    The_Don90 Show
    • K

kingkenned Show

Flop

• A

Turn

River

kingkenned Win Two Pairs, 9s and 6s 6320.00  16290.00

However heres a hand just two minutes before

The_Don90 Small blind  500.00 500.00 8660.00
    kingkenned Big blind  1000.00 1500.00 11530.00
      Your hole cards

oceans0007 Fold     
    bobby786 All-in  1600.00 3100.00 0.00
    The_Don90 Fold     
    kingkenned Fold     
    bobby786 Muck     
    bobby786 Win  3100.00  3100.00
    So he'll call my all in of 2x BB with 96 but wont call this other guys effectivley doubling him up. Which allowed him to take my other opponent out.
    oceans0007 Small blind  500.00 500.00 6710.00
    bobby786 Big blind  1000.00 1500.00 9700.00
      Your hole cards
    • J

The_Don90 Fold     
    kingkenned Fold     
    oceans0007 All-in  6710.00 8210.00 0.00
    bobby786 Call  6210.00 14420.00 3490.00
    oceans0007 Show
    • Q

bobby786 Show
    • A
    • K

Flop

• A
    • K

Turn

River

• A

bobby786 Win Full House, Aces and Kings 14420.00  17910.00
    Again a fair enough hand, but should the 600 been called earlier when the pot odds where there really for any hand to call in the BB would he have got the chance? i dont think so.

Ahhh the 5% rule lol It divides opinion on here, there's a thread way way back in the archives where i asked the question and got lots of response on both sides. Here's my take on it. I don't use 5%. i Don't do it because i have no NEED to stay in the game, and thats the reason that BRM is good. I play for fun so i play the amount i want to play against the opponents i want to play. I buy into whatever tournament i feel like playing by simply depositing enough to cover it. If you need to play all the time, if your high stakes or a doing this as a proffesion (or if you ever have asperations of doing this) then BRM is essential. If your playing for a laugh then the most important thing is to play what's fun and financially viable to you. I refuse to beleive that some of the players playing 15 - 30, 20 - 40 etc have the rolls to be there but if there doing it for fun and the any money won is a bonus then why not? I set myself a challange recently to take £25 i'd won in a freeroll and spin it up (obviously something like this can not be done within the 5% rule unless you want it take 5 years lol). At the highest point I span this to £640 in 2 - 3 weeks and when i ended the challange i'd cashed £520 off the site. Now i could have left the money on and stayed in the game, but why win it all without enjoying it ?
    Posted by ACESOVER8s

As you say Acesover8s i also play for fun, but as im unemployed at least breaking even is really an essential for me to maintain playing for fun. Its not exactly my ideal lifestyle to be unemployed, however this gives me more time to play the game and continue my learning curve.

As you said i would like to play in any tournament any time to play who i want everytime. But i need to play in lower stake games to fund this. This is effectivley my BRM. However i feel comfortable with this now, as my BR is improving im finding a bigger and better comfort zone. Admittedly once i do have a certain amount i will withdraw the vast amount of it, although will leave enough in my account to start to build it back up to that amount and withdraw again. Again though this is purley because i have no real income to put into the poker. As a result i have withdrawn the money ive placed into the game and what i have left is my BR.
  • edited March 2010
    Hi Don

I do stick to the 5% rigidly, it gives me the comfort of not playing with scared money, recently varience has not been nice to me, there have been a couple of good days, but mostly not, my bankroll has dropped dramaticaly, but I have been able to drop down levels to keep varience covered.
  • edited March 2010
    As youve said Barry most days financially are bad, however as i find i teand to play in the small hours of the night so i can cover the next days losses build it back up and maybe make a profit on it.

This is where i find the hands either come or the players are just not as good at taking advantage of my bluffing or they dont chase and i dont get outdrawn, e.g i went all in on a bounty hunter first hand with 2 pair on the flop. Someone calls and hit their 7 for their gutshot (4outs in the deck),
  • edited March 2010
    Ahhh the 5% rule lol It divides opinion on here, there's a thread way way back in the archives where i asked the question and got lots of response on both sides. Here's my take on it. I don't use 5%. i Don't do it because i have no NEED to stay in the game, and thats the reason that BRM is good. I play for fun so i play the amount i want to play against the opponents i want to play. I buy into whatever tournament i feel like playing by simply depositing enough to cover it. If you need to play all the time, if your high stakes or a doing this as a proffesion (or if you ever have asperations of doing this) then BRM is essential. If your playing for a laugh then the most important thing is to play what's fun and financially viable to you. I refuse to beleive that some of the players playing 15 - 30, 20 - 40 etc have the rolls to be there but if there doing it for fun and the any money won is a bonus then why not? I set myself a challange recently to take £25 i'd won in a freeroll and spin it up (obviously something like this can not be done within the 5% rule unless you want it take 5 years lol). At the highest point I span this to £640 in 2 - 3 weeks and when i ended the challange i'd cashed £520 off the site. Now i could have left the money on and stayed in the game, but why win it all without enjoying it ?
    Posted by ACESOVER8s
    +1 perfect response
  • edited March 2010

Those hands in the satellite look very dodgy to me DON!! I'd be P1ssed off if that was the bubble and the big blind folded for less than another Big blind........
  • edited March 2010
    Those hands in the satellite look very dodgy to me DON!! I'd be P1ssed off if that was the bubble and the big blind folded for less than another Big blind........
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Yes but what can i really do about it
  • edited March 2010

I dunno mate - but Im sure people have come across this sort of thing before, - especially the double your money players. Was it really the bubble??? - Maybe "ask Blackfish" (lol) or webby, or ckd, Ikow these guys play alot of DYM's - and loads of others....even "ask tikay" - But if that was really the bubble, then he HAS to call with any 2 like he did against you.........
  • edited March 2010
    Well it was the qualifier bubble. I got £4.40 for comming third, so i guess i did get just under my buy in back. However i dont want to sound bitter i played the qualifier to qualify for another tournament, not cover some of my losses. So i found this extremly frustrating.
  • edited March 2010

Im not sure how they deal with these sort of things - but if they eve do give out "compensation" - you definitely have a case for me. Gl with it anyway and ur game in general. 
  • edited March 2010
    thanks Dohhhh ill start another thread up after my DYM finnishes
  • edited March 2010
    This 5% rule is just a rule of thumb... so my advice would be to play with what you can afford to lose. If you want to play a £110 dym and can afford to... go crazy! If not then dont! If you want to deposit a certain amount and try and build that up and try to keep moving up the stakes then you just need to have enough to cover any bad runs you might have, i find at least 10 buy ins for cash or dyms is ideal if you know you can crush them. Otherwise 15-20 is better if you are taking a shot. For example i play 5c/10c cash, moved up from 2c/5c at $150 as i had 15 buy ins for the level above, i then told myself i would move down if i went below $100 and so i was willing to have a 5 buy in shot at nl10.
  • edited March 2010
    smells very fishy indeed, kingkenned should be calling with any 2 cards there, even call with 27, it shouldn't matter what cards he has, paying 600 for 3600 gives him great odds, he knows that himself but looks very dodgy, this as happened a few times on sky poker in the satellites, there is a huge thread on another forum slating sky poker for this kind of dodgy activity, something should be done!!