You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

does anybody else do this?

edited March 2010 in Poker Chat
(cash) when you have missed your draw on the flop, doesnt come in on the turn or the river, but the villains bet is so small on the river i know i am beat, but call anyway just to get that extra bit of information on how he plays his hand, figuring it is worth more to me than giving away a bb or two....

maybe i am leaking chips, or maybe i am gaining information...?

Comments

• edited March 2010
    are you using that information?
  • edited March 2010

Raise him!!!!

Sometimes I will call the bet yeh if its reallllllllllllllyyy small - loads of min bets pop up - and sometimes theres no point raising coz u know they flat the raise. The ace high for the nut draw may be good ya never know ;)
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: does anybody else do this?:
    are you using that information?
    Posted by BlackFish3
    of course, i see it as an inverstment of my chips, giving the edge over the villain later on....
  • edited March 2010
    which information?
  • edited March 2010
    Raise him!!!! Sometimes I will call the bet yeh if its reallllllllllllllyyy small - loads of min bets pop up - and sometimes theres no point raising coz u know they flat the raise. The ace high for the nut draw may be good ya never know ;)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

oh i would always raise if i thought i wasnt going to get donk called...... but sometimes you just know .....
  • edited March 2010
    which information?
    Posted by webby234
    is this a serious question?
  • edited March 2010
    In a cash game why not, in a tournament it depends on the ratio of chips to stack. In cash i have often called insignificant bets in order to see someones hand and figure out what they did and why. can't say I remember doing it in tournaments as I'm all about chip preservation lol

But yeah if you have a £10 pot and some guy bets 80p on the river, i'm calling even when I know i'm beat just to work the hand back
  • edited March 2010

ive done this myself yeah-i think most cash players have! ive also been called on the river myself many times by players who i just KNOW are only callin me to gain information- so ill simply make a note on the player who has seen me play a hand a certain way, and next time, be it the same session or  2 weeks down the road if a similar situation arises ill play the hand completly different! anyway my point is yes its good to try and get as much info on a player as possible but dont just base this info on solely how you seen some bloke play 1 hand! my advice to you is perhaps pick a few players at random, people who play at your level and play regularly and watch them, for say an hour a night for a couple of weeks and make notes, look for betting patterns and bet sizes, how often they cbet, how they played draws, big pocket pairs etc etc and repeat this process week after week with different players! the info you gain can be invaluable! and its a cheaper way of doing it rather than callin bets on the river when you know your beat!

• edited March 2010
    ive done this myself yeah-i think most cash players have! ive also been called on the river myself many times by players who i just KNOW are only callin me to gain information- so ill simply make a note on the player who has seen me play a hand a certain way, and next time, be it the same session or a 2 weeks down the road if a similar situation arises ill play the hand completly different! anyway my point is yes its good to try and get as much info on a player as possible but dont just base this info on solely how you seen some bloke play 1 hand! my advice to you is perhaps pick a few players at random, people who play at your level and play regularly and watch them, for say an hour a night for a couple of weeks and make notes, look for betting patterns and bet sizes, how often they cbet, how they played draws, big pocket pairs etc etc and repeat this process week after week with different players! the info you gain can be invaluable! and its a cheaper way of doing it rather than callin bets on the river when you know your beat!
    Posted by Eagle26
    +1 A Grade advice in my opinion. Railing is often used to sit in awe of the high rollers but don't forget you have the ability to sit and watch people at your level without playing (particularly good if your considering shifting levels as you may not know the regs like you do at your current level). Sit watching for a week seeing where you think you can earn value and then go searching once you've built a nice catalog of notes
  • edited March 2010
    my notes, although i have a lot of them, seem to be quite generalised and not going into specifics. maybe this is where i need to improve more......... thanks!