You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Cash game or tournament poker

2»

Comments

• edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Cash game or tournament poker:
    In Response to Re: Cash game or tournament poker : How did I know you would say that Vince ???? I am sure that you are 100% right. But as you also say it is also a matter of feeling comfortable or confidence. If I miss out in a £50 DYM through a bad beat I have no hesitation in entering another against the same players. Similarly if I win one I would love to go straight back for another ! I need the confidence to transfer this onto the cash tables. TY M8 !
    Posted by penguin7

Errr, you're psychic?

You are absolutely right about the confidence and you have worked it out for yourself.
    If you're not feeling confident, you will not play "optimally". (Sorry, I over-use that word!).
    The confidence comes from winning consistently at whatever game you play and negative variance can affect this, especially if you suffer it early in your experience of a new type of game.
    Obviously your game is good enough to gain that confidence (quickly) at cash.
    After that, I'd just say that it's a matter of playing what you enjoy most.
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Cash game or tournament poker : guy called... ivey... phil ivey... heard of him?
    Posted by BlackFish3
    See my Post on Page 1 of this thread, timed at 1.55pm. ;)

I could actually tell you a great Phil Ivey story, but maybe another day.

PS - By the bye, did you know that Mr Ivey has NEVER won a WSOP Bracelet at Hold 'EM? All his WSOP Bangles have been in the more exotic variants - which have much smaller fields. Some call them "soft" Bracelets......
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Cash game or tournament poker : See my Post on Page 1 of this thread, timed at 1.55pm. ;) I could actually tell you a great Phil Ivey story, but maybe another day. PS - By the bye, did you know that Mr Ivey has NEVER won a WSOP Bracelet at Hold 'EM? All his WSOP Bangles have been in the more exotic variants - which have much smaller fields. Some call them "soft" Bracelets......
    Posted by Tikay10

This has sparked a little question in my head that I can't answer.

Gus Hansen - Is he a great tourney player?  On one side he rolled over the WPT and has won the Aussie Millions.  On the other side he has one of the worst WSOP records of anyone when you consider his standing in the poker world and the ratio of events played to cashes (Unless he's won one in 2009 that I missed I'm sure he's got no wins, don't think he has any FTs and only a handful of cashes).  On the negative side he was rolling over the WPT in the early seasons, I'm not sure how well he's done in the last couple of years.

Discuss.

• edited March 2010
    I disagree, but only to an extent, that you can't be good at both cash and tournament poker. I believe players with a predominately tournament background - such as Hellmuth - can never be great cash game players. I do, however, believe that the best cash game players have the ability to become the best tournament players. This can be seen in the 'big game' regulars such as Ivey, Brunson, Greenstin, Harman, Chip Reese (he didnt play tournament poker for many years but played the inaugural 50k H.O.R.S.E event at the WSOP (holdem, omaha, razz, stud Hi, stud hi/low split with an 8 qualifier) and won it (also the final table was played in the Cadillac of poker games - no limit hold em).    

I hold these views for many reasons:

1. Deep stacked, ring cash game poker is about playing hands after the flop and on later betting rounds - this is similar to the play in the early stage of a deep stacked, slow clock MTT such as the main event at the WSOP. 
    2.Cash game players have different skill sets in regards to playing v.s strong opponents and playing v.s weak opponents. Tournament players, however are used to extracting money from weaker players and do not have solid experience in playing vs better opponents. (Look at how Phil Hellmuth does in those short field 'big name' tournaments such as the 'premier league'; where the competition is tough and contains many good cash game players - not very well at all)

• edited March 2010
    id  say phil ivey comes very close  tobeen very good at both