You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How to take Deepstack game into faster rising MTTs?

edited March 2010 in Poker Chat
I seem to be doing OK in deepstack tournaments at the moment and am confident of going deep in these and this is my favourite format as you can make a few more plays and i don't feel as limited in in the plays i make.

But when i move over to the likes of the open and tournaments with faster rising blinds or say 2-3k starting stacks i never seem to get very far and was wondering what you have to change moving into these tournaments alot of people seem to prefer this format but to me seems as you have to double up fairly quickly and if you lose a big pot early you are in big trouble and need to start shoving pretty quickly.

It might be my mentality going into the tournaments that is letting me down just would like people's opinions on how you should change your game to cope with the faster blinds or lower starting stack as its these tournaments which seem to get the most runners as the orforadbles and deepstacks only get max 40 most nights.  

Comments

• edited March 2010
    Unlike a Deepstack, the first hour in this type of format is critical. Fold everything apart from premium hands in the first hour. There are too many players calling with absolute rubbish in the first hour so protect your stack till there eliminated.

If you manage to double up by only playing just one hand in the first hour thats all you need to carry you forward.

You can usually start playing your own game as you would normally sometime after the break. Your play at this stage will start to command more respect and people will usually start to fold to your raises.

I know your play as a deepstack player is very good and the same thing will work later on in these other formats. But play as tight as a ducks bum for the first part and the rest of your game should see you through.

Good Luck Rob.
  • edited March 2010
    cheers for the advice mate thats probably where im going wrong need to tighten up early think i might try put that into action tonight lol thanks again trev much appreciated m8