You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

AK 1st hand after someone raises preflop before you

Here's an interesting situation my friend recently found himself in. 9 handed sit and go, top 3 payout, he was dealt 1st hand AK off suit in early position. A player before him raised 4x BB. What to do now?
Three options, fold, call or raise. Let me know what you would do in this situation and why.
He decided to reraise the original raise in an effort to isolate the preflop raiser considering many people call bets with drawing hands early on. This in fact put about a third of his stack in the pot. All of the other players folded but the original raiser shoved all in. My friend felt that he was pot committed and therefore had to call. The original raiser showed pocket 9s and the AK failed to improve and was knocked out of the tournament 1st hand. That is what actually happened.

I argue that the best option is to flat call. I do not think you can fold one of the best starting hands to a standard raise (4x BB) because it was a low limit game and therefore the standard is low enough that players could have quite a wide range of hands when they raise in early position. If you reraise you find yourself pot commited if they go all in, accepting the coin flip but being only a 45% favourite to win. Therefore 55 out of 100 times you have been knocked out of the tournament and must cash in nearly all of the remaining 45 times to make a profit. If they flat call your reraise then you do have position but have achieved the same in my oppinion as flat calling and hoping to hit on the flop but at a much higher price. I believe that the original raiser's raise is enough to scare off many drawing hands and therefore by flat calling you can see a flop and try and hit without it costing too much and without being committed if you miss. If other players do decide to join the pot because of implied odds etc then you can put out a pot size bet on the flop if you hit to find out where you are and if you get any callers then you can play very passively in order to reach a cheap showdown in case they have hit big. If they reraise your pot size bet then top pair is unlikely to be the best hand and you can easily fold. If you miss again an easy cheap fold.

Comments

• edited July 2009
    I'd like to start by saying this situation is written about me and this was exactly what I did and heres why.

$2 Sit and go -   9 handed.

1st hand:

Fold, Fold, Raise 4x BB, Now its me with AK. For me here calling is not an option as it will just encourage hands like J10 suited and Q10 also small pairs to come along and with this being a low limit Sng I didnt want to be multi way with AK out of position to a number of possible callers. So to me, I had the choice of folding or raising. I chose raise and made it 10x the BB. I did this to isolate the raiser. If he folds im good, if he flat calls I have position on him. The play folded back round to him and he thought for a while before shoving all in. Now I realised he probably wasn't doing this with AQ or A x Id put almost a third of my stack in already so I reluctantly called hoping I was racing and not up against KK or AA. He turned over 99 and they held up.

Maybe I was wrong for re raising?   

Anyones thoughts? 
  • edited July 2009
    I don't understand how you put a 3rd of your stack in after a 10xBB raise - that means starting stacks were 30BB?? If this is the case you can't do much differently, once you 3-bet him you can't fold this short and i think 3-betting is correct here if starting stacks are only 30BB. If starting stacks were 100BB i think either flatting or 3-betting is fine.
  • edited July 2009
    It was more like 12x BB I re raised and blinds start at 15/30 and we had 1500 chips.

Thanks for your post though.
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: AK 1st hand after someone raises preflop before you:
    It was more like 12x BB I re raised and blinds start at 15/30 and we had 1500 chips. Thanks for your post though.
    Posted by Strat91
    On second thoughts i would rather 3-bet than flatting AK in this spot and then i would fold to his shove - this deep you wouldn't be committed. Calling the shove isn't too bad cos it's so unlikely he is shoving AA or KK so at worst your flipping but i don't think it's necessary to take a flip first hand so i would fold.
  • edited July 2009

I Pass, & I've Voted that way.

It's player dependent, & situation dependent.

1) If you hit your A or K, could you still get off the hand to a further Bet? You could hit & still be behind.

2) A Double-Up early has very limited value. A Double-Up later is far more useful.

3) Can I find a better spot for all my chips? Yes, I can!

4) Why not let the fast starters knock a few of each other out before playing any big pots? Lazy, but smart, that. Fast Starters almost NEVER Cash.

5) I play for pleasure, & If I pay £5, £50 or £500, (it matters not which), I'm gonna be pretty sick if I bust first hand with AK, & I'm gonna look pretty silly. too.

6) I like to be the aggrressor, to control my Pots, make my own decision when to play & how to play. 9-9 man is dictating the play here. Let him, I'll have him later - on my terms.

Later in the Tourney, this hand plays TOTALLY different, & I deffo Jam to his Raise.

To be fair, I play Small-Pot Poker, so most would not take my line. But on balance, & for me, nah, take it 9-9 man, I'll find a better spot later.
  • edited July 2009
    I'd generally agree with Tikay here, but I would suggest that to get better answers out of people don't post the results - many people will be results-orientated.
  • edited July 2009
    Going on from this I've found AK gets me into a lot of trouble post flop if I haven't hit the flop.
    Scenario:
    Middway through torny both stacks nearly equal.
    I'm in mid position with villian raising in early pos with about 3xbb
    I raise 5xbb everyone else folds.
    Villain calls
    Flop comes and I've missed the flop.
    Villain bets 3xbb again.
    Do you chase the turn & river cards or fold?
  • edited July 2009
    Going on from this I've found AK gets me into a lot of trouble post flop if I haven't hit the flop. Scenario: Middway through torny both stacks nearly equal. I'm in mid position with villian raising in early pos with about 3xbb I raise 5xbb everyone else folds. Villain calls Flop comes and I've missed the flop. Villain bets 3xbb again. Do you chase the turn & river cards or fold?
    Posted by PokerParty
    Or reraise him if you think you are ahead? His raise on the flop of 3xBB is a very small considering there are close to 18xBB in the middle so maybe pop in a raise to half the pot to see where you stand and if he comes over the top you can fold.

It depends on stack sizes, his and your table image and about a million other things but whatever you do DONT call hoping to hit - raise or fold.
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: AK 1st hand after someone raises preflop before you : Or reraise him if you think you are ahead? His raise on the flop of 3xBB is a very small considering there are close to 18xBB in the middle so maybe pop in a raise to half the pot to see where you stand and if he comes over the top you can fold. It depends on stack sizes, his and your table image and about a million other things but whatever you do DONT call hoping to hit - raise or fold.
    Posted by dowzer
    +1

Don't forget, if ypou play AK correctly, (preferably later in the Tourney), it's a 75/25 shot against any Pair, QQ down. It is NOT 50/50 - unless you just Call.
  • edited July 2009
    I would flat call a 3/4 times raise with AK but would be prepared to get away if i miss, but if the raiser shows any weakness after the flop i might try a raise with 2 overcards to the board
    Gary

• edited July 2009
    I'd like to start by saying this situation is written about me and this was exactly what I did and heres why. $2 Sit and go -   9 handed. 1st hand: Fold, Fold, Raise 4x BB, Now its me with AK. For me here calling is not an option as it will just encourage hands like J10 suited and Q10 also small pairs to come along and with this being a low limit Sng I didnt want to be multi way with AK out of position to a number of possible callers. So to me, I had the choice of folding or raising. I chose raise and made it 10x the BB. I did this to isolate the raiser. If he folds im good, if he flat calls I have position on him. The play folded back round to him and he thought for a while before shoving all in. Now I realised he probably wasn't doing this with AQ or A x of my stack in already so I reluctantly called hoping I was racing and not up against KK or AA. He turned over 99 and theId put almost a third y held up. Maybe I was wrong for re raising?    Anyones thoughts? 
    Posted by Strat91
    Hi Strat91,
    Im not going to say your play was wrong as you did it for certain reasons.
    My problem with your comment is that you RELUCTANTLY CALLED HOPING I WAS RACING OR NOT UP AGAINST ACES OR KINGS.
    Playing like this is wrong, why put your comp on the line in this way, on the first hand.
    As it was you were racing and you could have picked a BETTER SPOT.

col
  • edited July 2009
    I would flat call a 3/4 times raise with AK but would be prepared to get away if i miss, but if the raiser shows any weakness after the flop i might try a raise with 2 overcards to the board Gary   
    Posted by IAMALLIN2
    Exactly my line of thinking. Still don't know if it's the right way or not but then I guess that's why I play the stakes I do?
  • edited July 2009
    I Pass, & I've Voted that way. It's player dependent, & situation dependent. 1) If you hit your A or K, could you still get off the hand to a further Bet? You could hit & still be behind. 2) A Double-Up early has very limited value. A Double-Up later is far more useful. 3) Can I find a better spot for all my chips? Yes, I can! 4) Why not let the fast starters knock a few of each other out before playing any big pots? Lazy, but smart, that. Fast Starters almost NEVER Cash. 5) I play for pleasure, & If I pay £5, £50 or £500, (it matters not which), I'm gonna be pretty sick if I bust first hand with AK, & I'm gonna look pretty silly. too. 6) I like to be the aggrressor, to control my Pots, make my own decision when to play & how to play. 9-9 man is dictating the play here. Let him, I'll have him later - on my terms. Later in the Tourney, this hand plays TOTALLY different, & I deffo Jam to his Raise. To be fair, I play Small-Pot Poker, so most would not take my line. But on balance, & for me, nah, take it 9-9 man, I'll find a better spot later.
    Posted by Tikay10
    lol, this advice is so bad
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: AK 1st hand after someone raises preflop before you : +1 Don't forget, if ypou play AK correctly, (preferably later in the Tourney), it's a 75/25 shot against any Pair, QQ down. It is NOT 50/50 - unless you just Call.
    Posted by Tikay10
    ????????? 50/50
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: AK 1st hand after someone raises preflop before you : lol, this advice is so bad
    Posted by catmadeit
    Care to elaborate?
  • edited July 2009
    catmadeit... any better advice?
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to AK 1st hand after someone raises preflop before you:
    Here's an interesting situation my friend recently found himself in. 9 handed sit and go, top 3 payout, he was dealt 1st hand AK off suit in early position. A player before him raised 4x BB. What to do now? Three options, fold, call or raise. Let me know what you would do in this situation and why. He decided to reraise the original raise in an effort to isolate the preflop raiser considering many people call bets with drawing hands early on. This in fact put about a third of his stack in the pot. All of the other players folded but the original raiser shoved all in. My friend felt that he was pot committed and therefore had to call. The original raiser showed pocket 9s and the AK failed to improve and was knocked out of the tournament 1st hand. That is what actually happened. I argue that the best option is to flat call. I do not think you can fold one of the best starting hands to a standard raise (4x BB) because it was a low limit game and therefore the standard is low enough that players could have quite a wide range of hands when they raise in early position. If you reraise you find yourself pot commited if they go all in, accepting the coin flip but being only a 45% favourite to win. Therefore 55 out of 100 times you have been knocked out of the tournament and must cash in nearly all of the remaining 45 times to make a profit. If they flat call your reraise then you do have position but have achieved the same in my oppinion as flat calling and hoping to hit on the flop but at a much higher price. I believe that the original raiser's raise is enough to scare off many drawing hands and therefore by flat calling you can see a flop and try and hit without it costing too much and without being committed if you miss. If other players do decide to join the pot because of implied odds etc then you can put out a pot size bet on the flop if you hit to find out where you are and if you get any callers then you can play very passively in order to reach a cheap showdown in case they have hit big. If they reraise your pot size bet then top pair is unlikely to be the best hand and you can easily fold. If you miss again an easy cheap fold.
    Posted by hustler12
    For me I would never risk a large bet like that unless I had AA KK maybe QQ because it being the 1st hand you will not know what the other players will do after your big bet, for me if i was sitting with a pair of 9's I may call because I am getting the odds.
    A good rule would be to find out more information about your players before you start reading them.
  • edited August 2009
    AK is a drawing hand so you play it accordingly (as you would for 9-10, 5-6, etc) and call to see if you improve. You're losing to 22 here so getting creative with lots of players to get through is a quick exit waiting to happen. If you call the 4xBB and another player raises so can probably let the hand go and feel good about it. If you connect with the flop you can either check-raise the original raiser or bet out and shut things down. If you miss, you can check-fold and continue with a playable stack.

Too many people go bonkers with AK early on, so try to visualise it as just a drawing hand that will be SUPER if it connects but is effectively 27o if you miss (forgive my SLIGHT simplification) :)

MB
  • edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: AK 1st hand after someone raises preflop before you : ????????? 50/50
    Posted by diablo_pez
    No, NOT 50/50, if played correctly.

Let's nail this AK v Underpair = 50/50 thing.

Yes, AK is (about) 50/50 if you CALL.

What if you Re-Raise with it, though? Re-Raise BIG?

How often does your Oppo Call a big Raise from you? If he Raises, & you Re-Pop it BIG, he needs a BIG hand to Call. He won't (or should not) be Calling a big Raise with marginals). He will Call with, say, TT up, or maybe AQ.

So, how many times can you "get him off" with that big Raise?

Half the time?

Well if you get the Oppo to fold half of the time, & the other half of the time, they Call, then the odds of your AK winning - over time - have increased from 50/50 to 75/25. And that's a mathematical fact. Because you "got him off" Pre-flop 50% of the time.

It's also worth remembering, that by Raising big with AK, you often don't get to see the Flop. And if you don't see a Flop, I've noticed that, generally, you cannot lose.......;)

Please note, this method of playing AK refers to the Mid-stages of Tourneys. You should NOT follow this advice with AK in the first 4 or 5 Levels. It won't work.
  • edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: AK 1st hand after someone raises preflop before you : lol, this advice is so bad
    Posted by catmadeit
    Yes, it might well be.

Perhaps you would, to use Rory Breaker's words, care to enlighten us......... 
  • edited August 2009
    i for one always re raise with A/K if some one then pushes over the top or goes all in i know pretty much im v aa kk qq or maybe jacks ,,then depending on stack i make my choice ...
  • edited August 2009
    Me personally, as happened to me earlier this week in the EARLY stages of a tournament will fold AK (esp Unsuited) to a large shove/allin. It's not a hand I like to call with pre flop in the early stages. Late on when ppl are making moves, then it's a time to think about doubling up.

Dave
  • edited August 2009
    Sigh ...You guys make things so complicated...

It's  a $2 sit an go not the WSOP  !! 

It's been raised up first hand 4 times the BB  in early position, 
    Ok if it's a Major tournament it's an easy pass  but in this scenario you can call to speculate a  little but the point to remember is... it's  ony an Ace high hand, AK is so overrated pre flop early in a game

Once a flop comes with any hand  you don't really know where  you are,  until some more betting takes place, this game has a hidden framework, it cant be analysed by people or odds and percentages it's called

"Gambling"
     It also contains "Emotion" and from behind a computer screen you don't know what is going through other players minds
    Poker is an easy game to play if you understand there will be bad-beats, it's when players try to make things complicated for themselves that they start to doubt their own ability's  

glk benny

• edited August 2009
    In Response to AK 1st hand after someone raises preflop before you:
    Here's an interesting situation my friend recently found himself in. 9 handed sit and go, top 3 payout, he was dealt 1st hand AK off suit in early position. A player before him raised 4x BB. What to do now? Three options, fold, call or raise. Let me know what you would do in this situation and why. He decided to reraise the original raise in an effort to isolate the preflop raiser considering many people call bets with drawing hands early on. This in fact put about a third of his stack in the pot. All of the other players folded but the original raiser shoved all in. My friend felt that he was pot committed and therefore had to call. The original raiser showed pocket 9s and the AK failed to improve and was knocked out of the tournament 1st hand. That is what actually happened. I argue that the best option is to flat call. I do not think you can fold one of the best starting hands to a standard raise (4x BB) because it was a low limit game and therefore the standard is low enough that players could have quite a wide range of hands when they raise in early position. If you reraise you find yourself pot commited if they go all in, accepting the coin flip but being only a 45% favourite to win. Therefore 55 out of 100 times you have been knocked out of the tournament and must cash in nearly all of the remaining 45 times to make a profit. If they flat call your reraise then you do have position but have achieved the same in my oppinion as flat calling and hoping to hit on the flop but at a much higher price. I believe that the original raiser's raise is enough to scare off many drawing hands and therefore by flat calling you can see a flop and try and hit without it costing too much and without being committed if you miss. If other players do decide to join the pot because of implied odds etc then you can put out a pot size bet on the flop if you hit to find out where you are and if you get any callers then you can play very passively in order to reach a cheap showdown in case they have hit big. If they reraise your pot size bet then top pair is unlikely to be the best hand and you can easily fold. If you miss again an easy cheap fold.
    Posted by hustler12
    I have been in this senario many times and generally i would just call and see the flop AK is only good if you hit or the opponent misses what ever they have. A raise that big in the earliest possition generaly tells you they have a mid pocket pair or better, and unless you have plenty of chips left over after an all in is basically a gamble and could potentialy knock you out. If its the fist hand you have no information about the player and he could have anything its not worth the risk unless you are on a lucky streak and feel you want to gamble. sit and go this may be ok but tornament play i would start of slow and reraise if you know you are ahead which will only be after the flop. If the board comes down pictured he will be cautious of his mid pocket pair and you will notice if he is week because he will probably check then you can put a bet in or push. If he has hit say a Q on the flop you will know. or if you hit your AK you can check it and probably get the rest of his chips, if the board has shown all low cards its a bit more difficult but he will raise or push with his 9s knowing he is ahead but if he has AQ,AJ he might check and you know your ahead. Depends always on how you feel but he has put the raise in that you would have anyway in which case you would of maybe wanted a caller after your raise its just switched around in who is betting first. Basicaly dont get tied up with AK as many players do unless you hit or you have a draw or its late in the tornament and the blinds are worth nicking.