You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

j

edited March 2010 in Poker Chat
I am in the same boat. I play reasonably well in sng and mtt's and cashed now in a few.

I take the same style onto cash tables and just find myself losing all my money.

Comments

• edited March 2010

I recently switched switched from cash to heads up sit & gos and am now making a steady profit.  I would suggest you try this as well.

• edited March 2010
    In Response to cash games,just not my cup of tea:
    hi all ,been playing cash since last year low stakes ,high stakes bit of every thing really ,i just dont seem to make a steady profit at it ,not sure if im just unlucky or just bad at it ,tried playing aggressive ,tried playing tight ,result is always the same (end up losing my buy in )if i raise with ak ,some 1 calls with j4 suited flop a44,how do u get away from that hand ?without doing ur stack ,tried playing like this and called raises with j4 suited flop aj4 ,hit 2 pair guys got aj ,another buyin gone ..............just dont seem to win at cash ,very frustrating ,is it me or am i just unlucky ?so ive decided today im not playing cash anymore ,tournys and stts only ,done pretty well playing these and i should stick at what ur good at ,...but making a steady profit at tournys only comes when u have a big win ,which doesnt happen often ,thats y i tried my hand at cash ...but its just not for me ,also like 2 add that most money lost has been with aa or kk the top 2 premium hands ,may b im just unlucky ,who knows ?          anybody else feel the same?.......this isnt a moan or bad beat story ,i know exactly where im at ,cash is just not my cup of tea ^ _ ^
    Posted by TENOFSPADE
    on total player finale they talked about this last night,it seems cash players seem to adapt well to mtt and stt,but it dosnt seem to work out as well for tourney players moving into cash!
  • edited March 2010
    They are different disciplines. Some say cash play requires more skill. I would disagree, I think it requires different skills to play each successfully.

I think cash requires more discipline, calculation and BR management. That's why I don't play it much, I'm far too disorganised. 

Tournament poker requires a shift of style as the tournament progresses. At the start it is akin to the cash game but as it progresses it changes quite dramatically as few flops will be seen.

For long term, steady profit, play cash. For enjoyment play tournaments. For financial certainty and security, get a job.

ps. For total happiness, get a dog.
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: cash games,just not my cup of tea:
    They are different disciplines. Some say cash play requires more skill. I would disagree, I think it requires different skills to play each successfully. I think cash requires more discipline, calculation and BR management. That's why I don't play it much, I'm far too disorganised.  Tournament poker requires a shift of style as the tournament progresses. At the start it is akin to the cash game but as it progresses it changes quite dramatically as few flops will be seen. For long term, steady profit, play cash. For enjoyment play tournaments. For financial certainty and security, get a job. ps. For total happiness, get a dog.
    Posted by elsadog
    get a job noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited March 2010
    ive just taken the jump to the cash tables and i find it a lot harder even micro stakes. I find the main things im trying to get to grips with are not getting stacked when i have hands like an over pair, and getting maximum value when i do have a monster. In tournies you can probs sit out the first few levels and then jump in with 30BBs left and all the decisions are much easier because top pair top kicker becomes the nuts.
  • edited March 2010

Cash is definitely not my game, if I played at a cash table for more than 15 mins im pushing it, too boooooring.

• edited March 2010
    Tenofspades,
    Cash is as different to tournys as limit is to no limit holdem although there the same game you need different skills to achieve profit
    Perhaps its the way you play that suits tournys in cash the skills are patience and restraint with the correct mix of bluff and aggression.
    The best way to learn cash is to set aside 6 hours and play the 15/30 or 20/40 tables i believe this is the min for a true reflection of your cash skills.
    Also have you read any books?
    Reading poker books is the most profitable thing you can do but by definition most poker players are Lazy and carnt be bothered to read which is why i make profit out of them and you could too.
    Keep Smiling
    HAL_9000
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: cash games,just not my cup of tea:
    Cash is definitely not my game, if I played at a cash table for more than 15 mins im pushing it, too boooooring.
    Posted by acebarry10
    im the same just cant get tuned into the mindset of cash,though i have tried over the years!