You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

should i just fold?

edited March 2010 in Poker Chat

Comments

• edited March 2010
    AmountPotBalance
    MADPATDOTC Small blind  400.00 400.00 11912.53
    xxxxxBig blind  800.00 1200.00 11278.50
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • K

w4rlock Fold     
    Eagle26 All-in  19289.58 20489.58 0.00
    NIHIGHGUN Fold     
    MADPATDOTC Fold     
    xxxxxAll-in  11278.50 31768.08 0.00
    Eagle26 Unmatched bet  7211.08 24557.00 7211.08
    xxxxxxShow

Eagle26 Show
    • K
    • K

Flop

Turn

• Q

River

xxxxxx Win Straight to the 8 24557.00  

alright guys this was a hand that took place very late in the vegas semi last night, probably a hand that has hurt more than any other in the year or so ive been playin the game! my reason for posting is this at this stage i believe there were 10 runners left with the top 6 gettin though to the vegas final and 7th bankin themselves £550 quid i was 2nd at this stage and to be honest fairly comfortable and thinkin about it could have possibly just folded my way into the final. so my question is this, should i have just folded and let the others fight it out amongst themselves? losin this hand meant i went from 2nd to last and ended up finishing 8th when i picked up pocket jacks and they were cracked by QK with the king hitting on the river! would any of you have folded the cowboys here or would you have just shoved like myself hoping to take another player out and absolutly then guarantee your seat in the final??
  • edited March 2010
    i'm afraid i would have finnished 8th aswell, would love to say otherwise but thats just the truth.... very ul mate
  • edited March 2010
    you played it right, the call with 88 is a nutter!!--floppin mad I tell you, better remove the name and just call him dingdong or something--lol
  • edited March 2010
    You've done nothing wrong this game just sucks sometimes. UL.
  • edited March 2010
    yeah i thought that to be honest mate and never even contemplated it at the time. but after it happened and speakin to a few mates who also play the game at a high level they said i should have possibly folded as all i had to do was finish in top 6 and wasnt really in that much danger of not achievein that with the stack i had at the time! probably a stupid thread, just curious thats all. cheers anyway
  • edited March 2010
    I would have played it exactly the same way I've been burned to may times trying to slow play Kings,  Not usually against 8's though 

In fairness to the lad that called, he may have put you on Ak or the like.  You were 81% winner in this race so you would have lost 1 out of every 5 times, this was the one 
  • edited March 2010
    dingdong could shove an unraised pot with 88, and you could fold to a shove with kk, but for dingdong to call a shove with 88 is just mental, very hard for you to know that a total nutcase is still in at this stage, so you played right imo,if you were not absolutely guaranteed a place yet, then you made the correct play
  • edited March 2010
    no way do u fold u was miles ahead preflop  just got unlucky
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: should i just fold?:
    I would have played it exactly the same way I've been burned to may times trying to slow play Kings,  Not usually against 8's though  In fairness to the lad that called, he may have put you on Ak or the like.  You were 81% winner in this race so you would have lost 1 out of every 5 times, this was the one 
    Posted by JockBMW
    Honestly I lose at least 4 out of 5 times. I swear.
  • edited March 2010
    I would have played it exactly the same way I've been burned to may times trying to slow play Kings,  Not usually against 8's though  In fairness to the lad that called, he may have put you on Ak or the like.  You were 81% winner in this race so you would have lost 1 out of every 5 times, this was the one 
    Posted by JockBMW
    slow playin wasnt an option mate to be fair, a flat call or a min raise would have looked to obvious at this stage anyway! i understand the odds mate and am fully aware of how unlucky it was but that wasnt my question! i aint put this up as a bad beat thread, i put it up to get some feedback. cheers for reply anyway
  • edited March 2010
    Without knowing all the other chip stacks, I'd say that you were just unlucky.
    I'm not quite sure why the big blind called a 24bb aipf bet with 88 but I wasn't at the table.
    Shoving the lot in pre-flop can look weak but it looks as though he wasn't in a position where he needed to gamble so it's a bit odd.

• edited March 2010
    just wanna make it clear because i feel this thread may have made me look a bit stupid lol 'should i fold pocket kings preflop' ...obviously if this was your standard mtt say there would be absolutly no chance of me doing anything other than what i did here as obviously im playin to win! but as its not and you only gotta make top 6 regardless if its 1st or 6th i just wondered if my strategy should have changed! anyway big thank you to those who have replyed and gl at the tables! - Andy
  • edited March 2010
    just wanna make it clear because i feel this thread may have made me look a bit stupid lol 'should i fold pocket kings preflop' ...obviously if this was your standard mtt say there would be absolutly no chance of me doing anything other than what i did here as obviously im playin to win! but as its not and you only gotta make top 6 regardless if its 1st or 6th i just wondered if my strategy should have changed! anyway big thank you to those who have replyed and gl at the tables! - Andy
    Posted by Eagle26
    If this were a standard MTT I definitely wouldn't open shove pf with KK for 24bb.
    You should be looking to get much more value for your big hands at that (or any) stage of the tournament.
  • edited March 2010

understand what your sayin and when i wrote that i probably didnt give it much thought! just meant that i wouldnt consider folding kings! however an open shove at a late stage of a tournament with a big hand isnt such a bad strategy i believe as it can look weak! a flat call or a min raise for example from early position can look alot more stronger than just a shove which looks like im just trying to grab the blinds and basically tellin everyone to get out my way (perhaps thats why he called with the 88's!)...if ive been on a table where players have seen me shove alot obviously nickin the blinds then im definatly more inclined to carry on with this strategy if i pick up a monster! depends on my mood, players at the table and my chipstack for what i move i end up makin! varying it up is obviously the best way so slow playin or open shovin can both be effective! how many times have you sat late stages of a tourney with say Ak-AQ and a guy before you just open shoves? your immediate thought is would he really be doing this with AA/KK? is my AK/AQ good?? so i believe that open shovin can be an effective strategy