You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!
Options

Standard of play at mircro limits

At micro limits would you consider the standard of the play to be similar at different levels ie.e 0.01/0.02, 0.02/0.05 etc or is there a vast difference.

In the past I have felt that at the very lowest levels the play is just crazy, people going all in with any two cards because it is only 23 pence etc.

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2010

Micro's improve at 5p - 10p but TBH you have to expect lower standards of play the lower you are playing. That's exactly whats meant to be there. As people develop a game they pull themselves further up the levels.

I've played on sky at every level between 2p-4p to £1 - £2 dependant on what i was trying to acheive. I would say forget about 2p - 4p & 4p - 8p. Begin at 5p - 10p and build from there if your trying to put a roll together from Micro limits. There is enough play there that people are able to fold "Some Things" but if your standard is good enough you can dominate most tables.

I say this in many of my threads & replys but i really don't follow BR managment. I try to select tables with players that are value (not when i was taking shots at £1 - £2 though, turn s out there are no players there i can beat lol) and by doing this it means i often play outside of 5% but i manage to spin a little into a lot quite often. A lot of the time i will be on a table for 1 player specifically. I may be avoiding pots with 3 out of 5 other players at the table and concentrating on getting into pots with 1 or 2 players that i beleive will pay me eventually.

• Options
    edited March 2010
    In Response to Standard of play at mircro limits:
    At micro limits would you consider the standard of the play to be similar at different levels ie.e 0.01/0.02, 0.02/0.05 etc or is there a vast difference. In the past I have felt that at the very lowest levels the play is just crazy, people going all in with any two cards because it is only 23 pence etc.
    Posted by KieHugh
    I have been playing 2p/4p for the last few days and it is a huge exageration to say that people go allin with any 2. Yes, there are often players who find it difficult to fold a hand but most of the time I see fairly passive play with lots of calling and not much raising. You can definitely get players to fold in some circumstances. SOme players will call an allin with a weakish hand, thankfully! I have been playing durng the day so it may be looser and wilder in the late evenings.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Standard of play at mircro limits:
    In Response to Standard of play at mircro limits : I have been playing 2p/4p for the last few days and it is a huge exageration to say that people go allin with any 2. Yes, there are often players who find it difficult to fold a hand but most of the time I see fairly passive play with lots of calling and not much raising. You can definitely get players to fold in some circumstances. SOme players will call an allin with a weakish hand, thankfully! I have been playing durng the day so it may be looser and wilder in the late evenings.
    Posted by Seagull158
    nah i think you have got this spot on... its not as everyone says, you can bluff, they dont go all in every hand... instead they play very passively. Loose passive is pretty standard. Or very nitty.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Standard of play at mircro limits : nah i think you have got this spot on... its not as everyone says, you can bluff, they dont go all in every hand... instead they play very passively. Loose passive is pretty standard. Or very nitty.
    Posted by BlackFish3
    loose passive i can see, never seen a nit at 2p 4p though lol :)

i don't like the games below 5-10 but they are what they are. 90% of players there are new and so learning and making mistakes as they go and the other 10% have learned a bit and are picking up buy ins to build (or they went busto higher up and are playing what they had left)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Standard of play at mircro limits : nah i think you have got this spot on... its not as everyone says, you can bluff, they dont go all in every hand... instead they play very passively. Loose passive is pretty standard. Or very nitty.
    Posted by BlackFish3
    Think what you and seagull have said is more true than what I have read elsewhere i.e. "you will crucify that level" or "they are all maniacs".  I have started playing cash at 4NL, was thinking of skipping the first few levels, but decided to start at the bottom and determined to move my way up.  I find it very difficult to judge how much to raise when you have a strong starting hand, too big a raise and everyone folds, limp in and your gonna get 6 callers, then where do you stand on the flop? usually behind! 
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Standard of play at mircro limits : Think what you and seagull have said is more true than what I have read elsewhere i.e. "you will crucify that level" or "they are all maniacs".  I have started playing cash at 4NL, was thinking of skipping the first few levels, but decided to start at the bottom and determined to move my way up.  I find it very difficult to judge how much to raise when you have a strong starting hand, too big a raise and everyone folds, limp in and your gonna get 6 callers, then where do you stand on the flop? usually behind! 
    Posted by Patching99
    i would use 4xbb raise in the majority at this level. Watching will be the most important thing. Find the players that will pay you with 2nd pair or top pair weak kicker, there will be plenty of them about. Although it's been said you can bluff at this level i would think very few get through because they lay down an actual hand, mostly just that they missed so C bet into people who are regularly folding to them but be carefull when firing more than 1 barrell at this level on a complete bluff, if they connect at all your probably getting called. People will draw more often so be mindfull of charging the right price so they are paying too much to hit

Other than that GL :) Happy hunting & hope you build a fat roll lol
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Standard of play at mircro limits : i would use 4xbb raise in the majority at this level. Watching will be the most important thing. Find the players that will pay you with 2nd pair or top pair weak kicker, there will be plenty of them about. Although it's been said you can bluff at this level i would think very few get through because they lay down an actual hand, mostly just that they missed so C bet into people who are regularly folding to them but be carefull when firing more than 1 barrell at this level on a complete bluff, if they connect at all your probably getting called. People will draw more often so be mindfull of charging the right price so they are paying too much to hit Other than that GL :) Happy hunting & hope you build a fat roll lol
    Posted by ACESOVER8s
    Cheers for the advice I will keep it in mind.  I think I'm currently the player everyone wants to play against but I'm sure this will soon change!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Imo, there are more maniacs than not at this level.  Not saying everyone is a maniac, but there are quite a few.  Like aces said at least 4xbb pre flop, I go between 4 and 5.  If there has been a raise before you and you have AA or KK, make it a BIG raise or even all in.  You will be surprised how many times you will get called by hands like KQ, KJ, KT, JQ and all pp`s etc.
    Bluffing - If you NEVER bluff its not a bad thing, half the time I sometimes think I`m actually bluffing with the best hand on the very few occasions I do.

I think the most important thing is betting for value.  So many flops go multiway,so  that when you  flop a monster like a straight or top set, you can just bet 3/4 to pot size bet when first in knowing that there will be callers. 

You will also be amazed how many ppl think it is clever to slowplay aa or kk and check call all the way to the river, thinking they are trapping, then shoving on the river only to find that you are holding the nuts.

gl