You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Could somebody please explain this "move"?

I cannot find one bit of justification for this. Just horrible, horrible play from what I thought previously was a normal (ish) player.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
spoiler Small blind   £0.25 £0.25 £29.78
CLIOKID Big blind   £0.50 £0.75 £53.26
RFvirgin Sit out        
  Your hole cards

jayh34 Fold        
CeeJayPee Fold        
MOREBOY Fold        
spoiler Call   £0.25 £1.00 £29.53
CLIOKID Raise   £1.50 £2.50 £51.76
spoiler Raise   £5.00 £7.50 £24.53
CLIOKID Raise   £17.50 £25.00 £34.26
spoiler All-in   £24.53 £49.53 £0.00
CLIOKID Call   £10.53 £60.06 £23.73
Flop

• J
  • Q

Turn

• K

River

• Q

spoiler Show
  • K

CLIOKID Show

spoiler Win Two Pairs, Kings and Queens £58.26   £58.26

Comments

• edited July 2009
    I agree, can't possibly see how they could justify that, especially with the size of your re-re-raise.

Some players just seem to massively overvalue suited hole cards, I've had people call sizeable
    raises with rubbish like 8 4 suited.

It's hugely frustrating when they win, but in the long run you want them to play that way against you.
  • edited July 2009
    That's the thing about poker you must ignore  no one has to JUSTIFY their play to any one other than themselves !!!  Sometimes you gain sometimes you lose but in the end ABC will probably
    deny you massive losses.  What do i know ?   Not a lot  except if you can't influence something then don't get hot under the collar about it.
  • edited July 2009
    Would be interesting to know what you put your opponent on when he was raising - easy to say after the event but you did only have a mid pair and a lot of hands were beating you (albeit his wasn't!). What were you thinking he had when he reraised you to £5.00 to make you think you were ahead?
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: Could somebody please explain this "move"?:
    Would be interesting to know what you put your opponent on when he was raising - easy to say after the event but you did only have a mid pair and a lot of hands were beating you (albeit his wasn't!). What were you thinking he had when he reraised you to £5.00 to make you think you were ahead?
    Posted by dowzer
    I hadn't raised out of my BB just about the whole game. The guy has seen me play tight as anything therefore I know he ain't limping too strong, I felt he thought I was at it, hence the big re-raise.

Could ALMOST justify if it was for a full stack shove as then I might be able to fold but the fact that I'd made it that big a bet to show that I wasn't folding to his all in which makes it even crazier that he stayed.
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: Could somebody please explain this "move"? : I hadn't raised out of my BB just about the whole game. The guy has seen me play tight as anything therefore I know he ain't limping too strong, I felt he thought I was at it, hence the big re-raise. Could ALMOST justify if it was for a full stack shove as then I might be able to fold but the fact that I'd made it that big a bet to show that I wasn't folding to his all in which makes it even crazier that he stayed.
    Posted by CLIOKID
    Hi Clio
    You havent really answered the question, of what did you think his range of hands were.
    Was he iyo a loose or tight player?
    I agree with your assesment but you were pot committed(5to1) after the allin.
    Looking at the betting only, i think i would put his range as ,AA KK QQ JJ 1010, AK AQ AJ. Hence im either dominated
    by a bigger pair or im racing.
    In this situation i would have called the raise and tried a stopper bet on the flop.
    It might not have worked but it might have meant not losing so much.
    Too many players get involved in a macho contest,(if you see what i mean), when you can get away from a hand and save some chips for a better situation.

col
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: Could somebody please explain this "move"? : Hi Clio You havent really answered the question, of what did you think his range of hands were. Was he iyo a loose or tight player? I agree with your assesment but you were pot committed(5to1) after the allin. Looking at the betting only, i think i would put his range as ,AA KK QQ JJ 1010, AK AQ AJ. Hence im either dominated by a bigger pair or im racing. In this situation i would have called the raise and tried a stopper bet on the flop. It might not have worked but it might have meant not losing so much. Too many players get involved in a macho contest,(if you see what i mean), when you can get away from a hand and save some chips for a better situation. col
    Posted by mr_mbro
    I put him on a steal. Simple as that. I did not think he had a genuine hand therefore did not to let him see a cheap flop by calling or a small re-raise.

I consider him a loose player who will try to pull a stunt.

Against most players I would not play my hand anywhere near as aggressively.
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: Could somebody please explain this "move"? : I put him on a steal. Simple as that. I did not think he had a genuine hand therefore did not to let him see a cheap flop by calling or a small re-raise. I consider him a loose player who will try to pull a stunt. Against most players I would not play my hand anywhere near as aggressively.
    Posted by CLIOKID
    Hi Clio
    This wasn't meant to come across as a criticism.
    I agree if you thought he was on a steal and a loose player then the big raise was correct. It put him in push or fold territory and loose players WILL push more than fold in that situation.
    When the cards go over your ahead so you read it well and got a beat , unlucky this time. 

col