You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

its a conspiracy!!!

edited March 2010 in Poker Chat
is there an unwritten rule that the regular high stakes players wont play each other? there is always a few of them sat at different tables, but at the same stakes, HU cash tables?

playing 2.50/5 or 5/10, none of the opponents are easy....

is it comradery? (spl)

explain please (even better if you are one of these people)

Comments

• edited March 2010

It's called "Table Selection", an extremely important part of a cash players skillset.

Essentially, the good players look for players who are "value", & try to avoid players who are "not value", i.e., as good or better than them.

• edited March 2010
    It's mainly they don't want to play against someone they have little to no edge over - no sense just passing money back and forth so there's better value waiting for some crazy gambler or someone who's decided to take shot at higher level, playing out of their bankroll/skill level and crush them instead!

EDIT: Tikay beat me to it!
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to its a conspiracy!!!:
    is there an unwritten rule that the regular high stakes players wont play each other? there is always a few of them sat at different tables, but at the same stakes, HU cash tables? playing 2.50/5 or 5/10, none of the opponents are easy.... is it comradery? (spl) explain please (even better if you are one of these people)
    Posted by crow01
    No rule but it's just common sense really. As most of these players do this for a living then it doesn't make sense to play other players who's game you know you have little or no edge over. They sit and wait for well off recreational players to sit with them. Pro's earn their money from playing those of a lower ability than them
  • edited March 2010
    i see you point tikay, but on the flip side of the coin might it not be an advantage to play someone you have extensive notes on and seen hours and hours of their play, rather than someone who you have little or no info on? and have to start from scratch....

also the stars of the tv cash tables have no problem playing each other online, which i have watched many times???

just a thought
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: its a conspiracy!!!:
    i see you point tikay, but on the flip side of the coin might it not be an advantage to play someone you have extensive notes on and seen hours and hours of their play, rather than someone who you have little or no info on? and have to start from scratch.... also the stars of the tv cash tables have no problem playing each other online, which i have watched many times??? just a thought
    Posted by crow01
    If you're talking about Dwan/Ivey/Antonius etc, then to certain extent yes that's true but that's because there's only so many players that can afford to play at those stakes so you have to play them if you want to get some action going - the bigger games on here (£2.50/£5 - £10/£20) will tend to attract more wannabe high rollers than $100k buy in so it's worth "our" players waiting for someone to step in the lion's den!
  • edited March 2010
    good answers, points made..... :p
  • edited March 2010
    Last night you could have watched Sparce against Lolufold at 4 tables simultaneously with about £5000 each in play.