You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Cash advice

edited March 2010 in Poker Chat
Hi guys just wondering if you could give me some advice on playing cash.

I have a br of £500 at the moment built from dym. Dym are really starting to bore me a little now as you play so few hands till it becomes a game of all in. So want to start playing more cash.

So what level should i be playing at on the cash tables?
Whats the best way to play cash? Be aggressive or wait for big hands?
Anyone know of any books that are good for cash poker?

If anyone has any other advice that they could give me that would be great.

Thanks

Kilo

Comments

• edited March 2010
    lol exactly the same as me, i got bored playing dyms and started on cash, cash is a lot harder than dyms. Harrington on holdem the cash volume is very good apparently. Play tight, play aggressive, play the players at your table. Start at the micro stakes and see how you get on.
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Cash advice:
    Hi guys just wondering if you could give me some advice on playing cash. I have a br of £500 at the moment built from dym. Dym are really starting to bore me a little now as you play so few hands till it becomes a game of all in. So want to start playing more cash. So what level should i be playing at on the cash tables? Whats the best way to play cash? Be aggressive or wait for big hands? Anyone know of any books that are good for cash poker? If anyone has any other advice that they could give me that would be great. Thanks Kilo
    Posted by kilo05

Sklansky - Theory of Poker. 

Start very low you don't want to go bust. The luck in poker will blow your mind.

Maybe try adding a cash table on the side of a DYM or two and try to pick apart the differences in the way you should play and what factors are affecting your decision. 

GL
  • edited March 2010

Play the 20 or 30 quid cash tables mate, test the water, see how it goes...

If you are the same as blackfish, above ^^^^^^ a converted fold and double your money waller, then you should have a solid cash game quite naturally.

You get loads of time to settle into a cash game, then gradually start to open up, trust your instincts, do the basics well, and you will be fine.

GL, DOHH
  • edited March 2010
    Dan harrington on cash games is easily the best poker book out there for learnin how to play cash! so i would highly recommend buying and reading that before you hit the cash tables seriously. if your bankroll is £500 which you have built from double your moneys then your obviously a good solid player and playing the micro cash limits with the same strategy wouldnt do you any harm whilst reading the book and learnin the difference from tourney to cash poker. you are pretty much rolled for NL20/NL30 (forget this 5% rubbish) so when you feel comfortable play at those levels and build it up. i would also suggest watching some of the higher cash tables on sky poker picking a couple of high rollers at random and watch them for couple of hours a night and watch what they do, how they play premiums, draws, small pairs, how often they cbet etc etc and try and add these into your own game (they are high rollers for a reason!) ...also keeping notes on players is pretty vital and very profitable! as is table selection - find the fish and hunt them down! and at the same time avoid the players at your level who are no value to you (these players you will find playing day in day out, multi-tabling). Hope this helps ya a bit. GL and keep us updated
  • edited March 2010

`Killer No Limit` by Jon Vorhaus, I thought was a really good book.

You are pretty much rollrd for nl20/30 but if you are just starting, I would go for nl10 and see how it goes.  Imo there is not much difference in skill level between 10 and 20nl, but variance would be the same so you dont wanna go on a bad run as your confidence would be that much more knocked at nl20. You dont really want that when starting out.

gl

• edited March 2010
    Spend a bit of time watching,

You can rail NL20 players for a few nights. See what people are doing, try and put them on hands & think through what you would do playing against them. This is a free education against players you will be pitting your wits against.

Also Check out the lower limit tables on the MasterCash programe this Saturday. Should give you a bunch of starter tips to begin with and let you see the regular cash game players at your level with the cards face up (which i always find makes it much easier lol)
  • edited March 2010

Dont agree that the dan harrington cash books are good, the book is all about 9max live games which plays completely differently to 6max online games.(cant think of any good low stake cash books which are good on the top of my head,but the dc videos are amazing.)
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Cash advice:
    Dont agree that the dan harrington cash books are good, the book is all about 9max live games which plays completely differently to 6max online games.(cant think of any good low stake cash books which are good on the top of my head,but the dc videos are amazing.)
    Posted by DeuceAK-47
    I was thinking about dc or cr.  Are there any free videos and how good are they.  Do you really have to be a paying ,member to get the best stuff.  Seems a bit pricey
  • edited March 2010
    theres a book by lee jones which is a good book its called winning low limits by lee jones obviously lol hope you like it
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Cash advice:
    In Response to Re: Cash advice : I was thinking about dc or cr.  Are there any free videos and how good are they.  Do you really have to be a paying ,member to get the best stuff.  Seems a bit pricey
    Posted by OMahonyO
    http://www.gamblingsystem.biz/books/2p2NL6max.pdf-thinking about it this is a good book which is free.

I am a member of both dc and cr and they are both good sites but i prefer dc as i think the low stake poker videos (where i play) are better. (cr have good high stakes and omaha vids)

The best thing about DC is that the videos have no DRM..........So i just paid the subscription for one month and downloaded basically every video to my computer. (you can also download some videos to your ipod)