You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Holding QQ on the button...

Hi guys,

Was running quite deep in a GUKPT qualifier on another site... had about 13k chips, Avg was 10k... placed about 14th with 60 left (450 entries). 1st gets a £1k package and 2nd-8th get entry to a £100 super sat

this is a 10 handed table... good structure so blinds take 10 mins but go up slowly. Bb was 600 at this point.

Just returned from 2nd 5 min break, been playing for just over 2hrs.

It is folded around to mid position a short stack who pushes all in for 2.8k...

I am on the button with QQ in the pocket, I have the sb and BB to follow me. I am thinking I want to isolate and just be playing the shortstack, so I push all in for 13k. I am instant called by the SB: At this point I know he must have KK/AA.

Anyway he shows AA v. QQ and shorties KJ.

AA hits a set on the flop..

I have thought about the hand and only way I can see how i could have done it differently was call the 2.8k all in IN CASE the sb/bb pushes over top, which would give me the option to fold. But tbh I didnt think the odds were that they would have AA/KK behind me.  Sb was on 14k chips.

do you think I did the right thing shoving? any opinions well received.

Cheers
Dave

Comments

• edited July 2009
    In Response to Holding QQ on the button...:
    Hi guys, Was running quite deep in a GUKPT qualifier on another site... had about 13k chips, Avg was 10k... placed about 14th with 60 left (450 entries). 1st gets a £1k package and 2nd-8th get entry to a £100 super sat this is a 10 handed table... good structure so blinds take 10 mins but go up slowly. Bb was 600 at this point. Just returned from 2nd 5 min break, been playing for just over 2hrs. It is folded around to mid position a short stack who pushes all in for 2.8k... I am on the button with QQ in the pocket, I have the sb and BB to follow me. I am thinking I want to isolate and just be playing the shortstack, so I push all in for 13k. I am instant called by the SB: At this point I know he must have KK/AA. Anyway he shows AA v. QQ and shorties KJ. AA hits a set on the flop.. I have thought about the hand and only way I can see how i could have done it differently was call the 2.8k all in IN CASE the sb/bb pushes over top, which would give me the option to fold. But tbh I didnt think the odds were that they would have AA/KK behind me.  Sb was on 14k chips. do you think I did the right thing shoving? any opinions well received. Cheers Dave
    Posted by Grimstar30
    Hi Dave
     what were the blinds m8,  col
  • edited July 2009
    300 / 600 col...
  • edited July 2009
    Hi grimstar, i definately think your shove was correct to isolate the short stack. QQ is the 3rd best starting hand so you are only behind to KK and AA if SB or BB want to get involved. 169 possible starting hands so chance of SB or BB having a better hand (AA or KK) is only 2.4%. Your shove also drives away hands like AK which is good because you are dodging less cards then. Horrible timing, couldnt they have picked a better spot to have aces!!! Just very unlucky but i always think shoving is correct to isolate the short stack because of the very very slim chance of being up against a better hand.
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: Holding QQ on the button...:
    Hi grimstar, i definately think your shove was correct to isolate the short stack. QQ is the 3rd best starting hand so you are only behind to KK and AA if SB or BB want to get involved. 169 possible starting hands so chance of SB or BB having a better hand (AA or KK) is only 2.4%. Your shove also drives away hands like AK which is good because you are dodging less cards then. Horrible timing, couldnt they have picked a better spot to have aces!!! Just very unlucky but i always think shoving is correct to isolate the short stack because of the very very slim chance of being up against a better hand.
    Posted by hustler12
    Thanks for your opinion Hustler. It was really a situation where the hands played themselves I guess.p.s  the shortie hit his King too...so the isoltation play wouldhave resulted in me being on 10k... but still in it!;)
  • edited July 2009
    I'd have shoved m8.  Same situation again, what would you do? You'd reraise to isolate - so ur move was correct.  You're not gonna run into AA or KK most times so ur play in the long run will be the correct , profitable one.
  • edited July 2009

You HAVE to shove here, & if SB or BB wakes up with KK or AA, too bad.

By flatting the 2.8k, you give huge odds to the SB & BB to call with any 2 - there'd be 300+600+2,800+ 2,800 = 6,500in the middle, so the SB (2,500 to Call) & the BB (2,200 to Call) would both be priced in. And we don't want to play QQ 5 handed, do we?

It was just one of those things. Not unlucky, but cold-decked.
  • edited July 2009
    You HAVE to shove here, & if SB or BB wakes up with KK or AA, too bad. By flatting the 2.8k, you give huge odds to the SB & BB to call with any 2 - there'd be 300+600+2,800+ 2,800 = 6,500in the middle, so the SB (2,500 to Call) & the BB (2,200 to Call) would both be priced in. And we don't want to play QQ 5 handed, do we? It was just one of those things. Not unlucky, but cold-decked.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thanks for the advice TK. Agreed I felt I did the right play, just one of those things. Wasnt upset about it, just was one of those things.
  • edited July 2009
    Yeh, always ship it there. Try not to be results orientated in the review of your play, n this occasion you were horribly cold-decked but that's almost never going to happen, and like TK said if it does happen, so be it.
  • edited July 2009
    Yeh, always ship it there. Try not to be results orientated in the review of your play, n this occasion you were horribly cold-decked but that's almost never going to happen, and like TK said if it does happen, so be it.
    Posted by YoungUn
    great advice re: not being results orientated
  • edited August 2009
    Re: "only way I can see how i could have done it differently was call the 2.8k all in IN CASE the sb/bb pushes over top, which would give me the option to fold."

...the additional problem with this logic is that if you do just call - and the SB is a decent player - he might see this as a great spot to squeeze (ie raise your 'weak-looking' call) with a hand inferior to yours (eg JJ, AKs) and you have to fold anyway. I think the genral consensus is spot-on - you played it correctly and were just uber-unlucky to run into a huge legitimate hand. Unless you have LOADS of notes about the AA-holding player to the tune of "Only plays AA and KK" then there is no getting away from it. On another day you hit your 1-in-5 chance and triple up (and everyone else types "FIX" into the chat box) :)

Happy Hunting

Matt B
  • edited August 2009
    you dont know how to put quotes in a box either matt neither do i