You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bad Beats (katabatic65)

edited March 2010 in Poker Chat

Hi, is it me or are the bad beats on this sit getting worse day by day? I've only been with the site a few months & as I've played the worse it's got. Very strong hands pitted against each other way beyond normality? Tonights probably the worst I've seen, though I must admit some of it was entertaining watching enourmous odds  against 'busts'. Is this why the tournaments such as the early evening deep stacks & Orfordable have less players? 11 in one the other nite. ..... Or....is it just me?????

Comments

• edited March 2010
    Hi Katabatic
    Bad beats don't happen as often as the best hand holding up! But they do happen! It's a fact of poker and it happens everywhere, on every internet site and in every live poker room! They haven't got worse, you've just started noticing them more! So in answer to your question,yes, it is you! lol BUT, there lots of others like you so don't worry about it! ;) Tin foil hats are available at very reasonable prices in Area 51 if it gets too much! lol
    Welcome to the madhouse mate, hope to see you on the tables! Good luck

• edited March 2010
    In Response to Bad Beats (katabatic65):
    Hi, is it me or are the bad beats on this sit getting worse day by day? I've only been with the site a few months & as I've played the worse it's got. Very strong hands pitted against each other way beyond normality? Tonights probably the worst I've seen, though I must admit some of it was entertaining watching enourmous odds  against 'busts'. Is this why the tournaments such as the early evening deep stacks & Orfordable have less players? 11 in one the other nite. ..... Or....is it just me?????
    Posted by katabatic

Hiya mate, someone has already covered the bad beat part of this thread. But i would strongly advise you to play a couple of these deepstack and orfordable tournys, i regularly play these and they are always very enjoyable and have great table banter! unfortunately you are right the number of runners has been low recently but dont let this put you off! hopefully if a few people dont let that discourage them these tournaments can go from strength to strength as imo these are the most enjoyable tournys on this site.

Hope to see you on the tables soon mate 

Rob

• edited March 2010
    In Response to Bad Beats (katabatic65):
    Posted by katabatic
    Sky Poker is a young site and it's Televised. As such there is a higher than usual percentage of players who are new to the game. Also because the main events are televised the blind structures are set to allow TV coverage to normally be completed in a 4 hour period. The effect of this is increased rates of confrontation over slower paced tournaments. Inexperienced players will also tend to play more risky hands and so the likelihood of 'bad beats' occurring is increased. There is a definite preference on all sites towards faster moving tournaments too. Players prefer speed and turbo style tournaments to deepstacks where the pace is more leisurely.

The site is still evolving but it's no different than any other site in respect of 'bad beats' nor is it beyond normality.
  • edited March 2010
     Thanks for reading my 'moan' guys, you're time & input. I'll continue to suffer, er, sorry, continue with the site for a while, it's just when i started it seemed a very fair game (bad beats included, as mentioned - part of the game) & fair site. Now it seems as if it's selective play - no matter how good the cards you get how well you play, it will dish out cards to appalling calls far too often to sink you, I still feel....  But.... I will do  2 things!!! ( thx for the tip! get a tin hat! :-)  & totally! tear up my odds & stats book! .... oh & 3 sorry... call with rubbish & nick you're chips lads! :-) .....   thx again..   hopefully see you at the tables.    Good Luck!
    Posted by katabatic
  • edited March 2010
    IThanks too elsadog for your input, all taken onboard.  See you at the tables too.  ... P.s  just incase chat is started up at the tables, I can only hvae the chat if I'm on my downstairs comp! upstairs I can only play mini view - no chat - so I'm not ignoring anyone! :-) thx again all.    Good luck! n Response to Re: Bad Beats (katabatic65):
    In Response to Bad Beats (katabatic65) :  Hiya mate, someone has already covered the bad beat part of this thread. But i would strongly advise you to play a couple of these deepstack and orfordable tournys, i regularly play these and they are always very enjoyable and have great table banter! unfortunately you are right the number of runners has been low recently but dont let this put you off! hopefully if a few people dont let that discourage them these tournaments can go from strength to strength as imo these are the most enjoyable tournys on this site.  Hope to see you on the tables soon mate    Rob
    Posted by robc
  • edited March 2010
    Well. i'm sorry to say this but the appalling, brainless donk play has spread to the orfordable and that is very sad because it is usually such an enjoyable tourny. There's some guy playing this evening who is throwing chips in by the bucketload, raising 10 and 20 times the BB, going in behind every time and coming out ahead. If he ends up winning I'm taking up bingo.
  • edited March 2010

Hiya Kat, this is a regular thread and always will be i'm afraid, most replies will tend to be polite but more or less say "Tough, get on with it" The best explaination i've read has been posted above by Elsadog, i would add some people will push with "rubbish" possibly emulating what they've seen on tv and if you've got something descent, it is hard to let go and when they hit, without doubt it is frustrating and if its cost you your tourny, well what can i say.Today ive been in 4 mtt in 2 iwas ahead pre flop in 2 ahead post flop eventually ending in allins, which i lost lol.However i do cling to the fact that i was ahead b4 the allin and that is all you can hope for coz on another day if i won i would be grateful for the call.
       The DS are defo less eratic and i do tend to hide there sometimes when i'm feeling vunerable, so i might see you there.
           All the best
        ps I should add ive also hit from behind so it does work both ways   
  • edited March 2010
    Ive played online poker for only 10 months but played poker since a young age(im now 46 lol) and all of the bad beat stories that are posted including my own lol only emulate from others making very rash calls and hitting.Most will say that over time you will come out on top and indeed you should ....but in my online experiance so far this is not the case.Whether it is my own stack or somebody elses at risk after i have folded all i see all to often is the rash call being the winner.Is it the software? who knows.Poker is poker and everyone will have their own opinions but lots of players i am facing all seem to have 1 same opinion THERE IS WAY TOO MANY FLUSHING BOARDS.lol dav