You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

taking a break from tourney's need some advice please

edited March 2010 in Poker Chat

am now into my 9th month with Sky Poker last couple of weeks have been unbeleivably unlucky on tourneys to top it off played 5 tourney's today busted out on 5 on the river on 2 occaisons other person had quads this is a sign to take a break b4 i throw my computer out the window so for the next 3 months i shall be following in me m8 ozzie08's footsteps & play cash tables from 1st april the only tourney's i may take part in are  freerolls & £1-£1-50 satalites & the TKO'S

i would appreciate it if someone could tell me what bankroll you would need for 4/8 - - 5/10 & 10/20 blinds on cash tables as i'm giving myself a goal for the next 3 months

many thanks

michael   dtw

Comments

• edited March 2010
    I play 5p/10p and 10p/20p and do not use bankroll rules i just use what i can afford.gl with your game m8.dav
  • edited March 2010
    I don't play cash much anymore but if I did I would want at least 50 pull-ups to be comfortable. In fact, I use this rule for everything that I play... Oh yeah, and a minimum of 100 pull-ups for omaha...
  • edited March 2010
    iF YOU ARE GOING TO MULTI YOU WILL NEED 300.00 BE IF ITS FUN THEN AT LEAST 150.00 GOOD LUCK WITH IT
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to taking a break from tourney's need some advice please:
         am now into my 9th month with Sky Poker last couple of weeks have been unbeleivably unlucky on tourneys to top it off played 5 tourney's today busted out on 5 on the river on 2 occaisons other person had quads this is a sign to take a break b4 i throw my computer out the window so for the next 3 months i shall be following in me m8 ozzie08's footsteps & play cash tables from 1st april the only tourney's i may take part in are  freerolls & £1-£1-50 satalites & the TKO'S     i would appreciate it if someone could tell me what bankroll you would need for 4/8 - - 5/10 & 10/20 blinds on cash tables as i'm giving myself a goal for the next 3 months      many thanks    michael   dtw
    Posted by DTWBANDIT
    Having seen your play, i reckon a bankroll of £2500 should last you the 3 months, if not, just deposit more - i hope this helps gl
  • edited March 2010

Hundred quid should be fine.

No difference between tourny poker and cash poker, its the same game, a flush still beats a run, pocket aces are still the best hand, people still bluff, people still wait for the nuts.

Its all in the head. If you are good at poker, u shud be able to play poker no matter what the game, at your own level.

Heds up is different.

Good luck with it.
  • edited March 2010
    tourneys are the most tilt inducing things ever, i dont even know why i play them. i wish i could win one but i get bored and then go out on a flip or bad beat every single time and then start to tilt playing cash.

So yeah, moral of the story, dont play tourneys unless you hate yourself.
  • edited March 2010
    Perhaps you should forget losing or winning money alltogether for a couple of weeks and just play for chips ( which are available from any reputable Argos store lol ) with your mates.

Then at least you will have a laugh win or lose and you will just get used to not being on tilt at all.

If your unlucky streak extends to the cash games what will you do then?

All i need to calm down is cards, mates, chips, scotch and a nice tin of Henry Wintermans.......laaarvly.

Might be not everyones cuppa but it does for me.

• edited March 2010
    Hi Michael, Tournaments are very hit and miss and it isn't unusual to have long periods without success. Negotiating your way through a field of other players is not only dependent on your skill but a lot of other factors too. In order to win or place high in any tournament requires a large amount of luck alongside your skill. I wouldn't get despondent about a bad run of a couple of weeks or a month, it happens to everyone. All the usual advice applies, take a break, have a change of scene, drop down the buy-in scale until it turns around.

It will change but in my experience you can't force it to happen ...... you just need to be patient and it will turn around for you.
  • edited March 2010
    i was in the same postion as u m8 but stuck at and my luck has changed ive cashed in the main event the last 4 out ove 4 including 4th on fri and 7th last night so dont give up mate we all have bad runs. gl with the cash challenge tho m8.del
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to taking a break from tourney's need some advice please:
         am now into my 9th month with Sky Poker last couple of weeks have been unbeleivably unlucky on tourneys to top it off played 5 tourney's today busted out on 5 on the river on 2 occaisons other person had quads this is a sign to take a break b4 i throw my computer out the window so for the next 3 months i shall be following in me m8 ozzie08's footsteps & play cash tables from 1st april the only tourney's i may take part in are  freerolls & £1-£1-50 satalites & the TKO'S     i would appreciate it if someone could tell me what bankroll you would need for 4/8 - - 5/10 & 10/20 blinds on cash tables as i'm giving myself a goal for the next 3 months      many thanks    michael   dtw
    Posted by DTWBANDIT
    Depends how you want to look at the game and what you want out of it. % bankroll rules are important to people not wanting to go bust and stay in the game. I have never played 5p 10p while having 50 buy ins (as 5p 10p buy in is £20 i doubt there is any player at that level playing with 50 buy ins. People sitting with that roll are always playing higher IMO. If you have a decent enough game you can play higher than BR with decent table selection.

I play with what i want to put on the site and i play the games i think i can win in.

Too much focus is put on BRM by players who just don't need to worry as much about it. Don't get me wrong, i wouldn't advocate droping £200 on and going to sit at £200NL but you get my point.

BRm controls playing with scared money, if you can afford to stick £100 and accept that you may lose it then it's not scared money so all is fine lol

Unless your playing for a living your first and foremost thoughts should be where am i not outclassed and where do i WANT to play. winning moey is just the gravy, it's if you enjoy your game that should matter
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: taking a break from tourney's need some advice please:
    I play 5p/10p and 10p/20p and do not use bankroll rules i just use what i can afford.gl with your game m8.dav
    Posted by dav1964
      hi dav as i am not 100% on BRM for cash tables i've been doing the same cheers m8 dtw
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: taking a break from tourney's need some advice please:
    Perhaps you should forget losing or winning money alltogether for a couple of weeks and just play for chips ( which are available from any reputable Argos store lol ) with your mates. Then at least you will have a laugh win or lose and you will just get used to not being on tilt at all. If your unlucky streak extends to the cash games what will you do then? All i need to calm down is cards, mates, chips, scotch and a nice tin of Henry Wintermans.......laaarvly. Might be not everyones cuppa but it does for me.
    Posted by AIRWALKER

cheers for that m8  my local is starting a poker nite so gonna go along and have a go will be my 1st live game should be fun  dtw