You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Why do some people regularly play Russian Roulette? (nothing to do with guns, the poker version!)

edited March 2010 in Poker Chat
I notice some players regularly sit down in the Russian Roulette HU games. Now these aren't newbies, they are established players with heaps of league points.

Unless I'm misunderstanding how RR works these tables are basicly nothing more than a 50/50 coin flip, and the 15p per £1 rake means that in the long run these players are guaranteed a ROI of -15% playing RR. So why do they do it? Are they people who just enjoy a gamble and don't mind if they lose a few quid? Or maybe they are chasing quick poker points and league points which will go on to win prizes that make up the 15% and more? Maybe their ROI is worse than 15% in games of skill?

I can understand why someone might sit down at a RR table every now and then for a laugh, I confess to doing so once myself, but it seems to me to be a no-brainer that anybody going there regularly will just be chipping away at their bankroll. Personally I think I'll stick to the regular HU tables where the rake is only +/- 5p per £1.

Comments

• edited March 2010
    Boredom, gambling,excitement, etc, they must get something out of it, i seen 2 players going at it on a £55 a pop RR, now that is mad. 
  • edited March 2010
    Gary .... I play these occasionally and sometimes at the £55 level.  Usually, I have just busted out of a sit n go or a tournament by making a dreadful call or being caught out bluffing.  If I win the RR, which requires no thought whatsoever, I normally recoup my losses from my earlier exits.  If I lose, I go to bed.  Yes, it's just a gamble.
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Why do some people regularly play Russian Roulette? (nothing to do with guns, the poker version!):
    Gary .... I play these occasionally and sometimes at the £55 level.  Usually, I have just busted out of a sit n go or a tournament by making a dreadful call or being caught out bluffing.  If I win the RR, which requires no thought whatsoever, I normally recoup my losses from my earlier exits.  If I lose, I go to bed.  Yes, it's just a gamble.
    Posted by inka2003
    but surely youd be better off putting £50 on red on the roullete table and save urslef the £5 rake
  • edited March 2010
    Gary
    The best thing to do is NOT post about it on here but make notes of the players that do this and try and get them on a table as you know they like a gamble and are not running correct BR management. Your already quids in with info about the player
    and should be able to make profit from them

Keep Smiling
    HAL_9000
  • edited March 2010
    Sky must love it when two players sit at a £50 RR table, £10 rake for one pre-flop all-in hand, over in seconds.