You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

picking the wrong time to push

edited March 2010 in Poker Chat
Three times in the last 2 days ive been doing ok in a tourney, and then hit a bad patch. I get short stacked, not massively, but like 15 BB, such as blinds 200/400, ive got 5800, tourney pays top 20, and there are 45 odd remaining. Im waiting for a chance to double up, i get AK or JJ, and i shove on the button, and believe me when i say, ive tried to wait for the right moment, and player calls with pocket aces, talk about kicking a man when he's down,does everyone else get this, and how do you cope (i just laugh and say ffs i can pick the wrong time to shove) but i must admit, it gets on my t i t s lool. Or maybe, its fate, like im meant to be unlucky, like when 10 of us walk down the street and its me that a bird c r a p s on from above, or its me that treads in the dog poo, etc etc.

Comments

• edited March 2010
    i know what u mean, been there and got boot up rear, u wait 20 min for some half decent or better cards and u think you have doubled up with say 2 pair and boooom they have trips, and to rub salt into wound they hit on river. lol i hate the dealer and dislike the player who got it, just kiddin.
  • edited March 2010

To win a tourny, you have to do this sort of thing loads and loads. If you are the short stack, you have no choice but to "shove blind" with any 2. When you are the big stack, alot of the time when unraised on the button or sb, you are "raising blind" with almost any 2, knowing you are committed to calling the re-shove from the shorties if they're poxy enough to find a massive hand. You are priced in....

Luck plays a huge part in tournys -just getting your "blind, blind raises" through can be huge. If ur lucky enough to find tight passive players on ya table - this is also a huge slice of luck. Getting lucky isnt all about winning flips and having ur aces hold up :)

U said u waited for jj and AK - I'd be shoving/raising muchhhhhhhh wider than that :) - Gimie 67 suited neday :)

GL DOHH
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to picking the wrong time to push:
    Three times in the last 2 days ive been doing ok in a tourney, and then hit a bad patch. I get short stacked, not massively, but like 15 BB, such as blinds 200/400, ive got 5800, tourney pays top 20, and there are 45 odd remaining. Im waiting for a chance to double up, i get AK or JJ, and i shove on the button, and believe me when i say, ive tried to wait for the right moment, and player calls with pocket aces, talk about kicking a man when he's down,does everyone else get this, and how do you cope (i just laugh and say ffs i can pick the wrong time to shove) but i must admit, it gets on my t i t s lool. Or maybe, its fate, like im meant to be unlucky, like when 10 of us walk down the street and its me that a bird c r a p s on from above, or its me that treads in the dog poo, etc etc.
    Posted by loonytoons
    ALWAYS...strangely tho ud expekt to win these situations 'sometimes'.even when 'a massif fav.'seem to lose to junk,phaps its just written in the software,clear out the low stakks,theyll go play another game,then we can wrap this one up quicktime...or phaps like u say we're destined to be losers..
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to picking the wrong time to push:
    Posted by loonytoons
    isnt that sposed to be 'lukky'
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: picking the wrong time to push:
    In Response to picking the wrong time to push : ALWAYS...strangely tho ud expekt to win these situations 'sometimes'.even when 'a massif fav.'seem to lose to junk,phaps its just written in the software,clear out the low stakks,theyll go play another game,then we can wrap this one up quicktime...or phaps like u say we're destined to be losers..
    Posted by philmenow
    I was SUCH a believer in this notion when I 1st came on this site. I also thought that a CL in a B/H could call your all in with any two cards and guarantee to hit!!
    But over the months, I have come across a wonderful thing called
    variance which does go up and down more times than a yo yo in a lift.
    Yes it does seem like the poker gods are against you at times when you bust out with a horrendous outdraw but that could realistically happen at any time in the tourney.
    I was recently, watching from the rail , a Vegas QF which took ages for the bubble to burst!
    I was then playing in a QF last night and became the BUBBLE!! Grrrrr. Anyway, I went out with my AJ v AQ which is what it is. However, when I had AA and AK on the BB, no one put a chip in the pot and I got walks. The bubble lasted ages (or seemed to). So either this software is now broken or you are way of the mark there.
  • edited March 2010
    Had DYM this morning, 4 left 1 guy had 2BB's left rest including me were also fairly short 6-10. Big stack limps then 2nd in chips pushes with Queens, micro stack folds then big stack snaps with Aces. It does happen but you have to just laugh it off tbh.
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: picking the wrong time to push : I was SUCH a believer in this notion when I 1st came on this site. I also thought that a CL in a B/H could call your all in with any two cards and guarantee to hit!! But over the months, I have come across a wonderful thing called variance which does go up and down more times than a yo yo in a lift. Yes it does seem like the poker gods are against you at times when you bust out with a horrendous outdraw but that could realistically happen at any time in the tourney. I was recently, watching from the rail , a Vegas QF which took ages for the bubble to burst! I was then playing in a QF last night and became the BUBBLE!! Grrrrr. Anyway, I went out with my AJ v AQ which is what it is. However, when I had AA and AK on the BB, no one put a chip in the pot and I got walks. The bubble lasted ages (or seemed to). So either this software is now broken or you are way of the mark there.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    undoubtedly the later.altho i wonder if 'variance' has its favourites,as my yo yo has stukk at the bottom..
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: picking the wrong time to push : I was SUCH a believer in this notion when I 1st came on this site. I also thought that a CL in a B/H could call your all in with any two cards and guarantee to hit!! But over the months, I have come across a wonderful thing called variance which does go up and down more times than a yo yo in a lift. Yes it does seem like the poker gods are against you at times when you bust out with a horrendous outdraw but that could realistically happen at any time in the tourney. I was recently, watching from the rail , a Vegas QF which took ages for the bubble to burst! I was then playing in a QF last night and became the BUBBLE!! Grrrrr. Anyway, I went out with my AJ v AQ which is what it is. However, when I had AA and AK on the BB, no one put a chip in the pot and I got walks. The bubble lasted ages (or seemed to). So either this software is now broken or you are way of the mark there.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    also you were behind when you lost wth aj,so is slightly different
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: picking the wrong time to push : undoubtedly the later.altho i wonder if 'variance' has its favourites,as my yo yo has stukk at the bottom..
    Posted by philmenow
    maybe your just not that good?
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: picking the wrong time to push : undoubtedly the later.altho i wonder if 'variance' has its favourites,as my yo yo has stukk at the bottom..
    Posted by philmenow
    I had two months at the end of last year when it felt like I hit every flop and won game after game, then the last three months have been the total opposite, yesterday I won my first tournament this year so I am hopeful that the pendulum has now swung back in my favour.  Believe me when I say that variance DOES happen and you have to learn to take the rough with the smooth but most importantly make sure that when you are running  "hot" you bank some of your winnings to fall back on during the lean times.
  • edited March 2010
    Very few things more annoying than pegging someone as a loose player, seeing them raise hand after hand and assuming they must be bluffing at least a little, then when you finally say "enough" and try to call their bluff they've got great cards.

You lose the hand and you leave still convinced you were right about them, except of course for that one hand. Even if you weren't.
  • edited March 2010
    Very few things more annoying than pegging someone as a loose player, seeing them raise hand after hand and assuming they must be bluffing at least a little, then when you finally say "enough" and try to call their bluff they've got great cards. You lose the hand and you leave still convinced you were right about them, except of course for that one hand. Even if you weren't.
    Posted by baconc87
    Thats the beauty of playing loose and aggressive, if you can't beat them, join them ;)
  • edited March 2010
    Guys, i wasnt trying to express the tactical play, and its not a bad beat thread, as i was behind on each occassion, or area 51 lool, i was just saying that,when your down, and you make a move to get back into the tourney, sods law says your gonna pick that 1 hand in 100 that your opponent has the bullets.
  • edited March 2010

every exit hand i go out on are when ive got a big starting hand either pocket pair whether low or high usualy Ks or trips and lose constantly. but i can be proud in the fact that i am going out with a big hand and not just any old cra p. which shows im making moves when i think im ahead unfortunately timing is everything and in those cercumstances your just unlucky and have to move on.

• edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: picking the wrong time to push : maybe your just not that good?
    Posted by MrWh1te[/QUOTE

maybe,or just not as lukky as some of the really bad players...id like to think im not that bad,clearly no world beater,but i have a reasonable grasp of the game..yes i comment on ,bad beat,online 'rip-off' and conspiracy theory type threads,generally for my own amusement..but i understand ,to a degree,why sometimes i win with the best of it and sometimes lose...