You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

ATMOSPHERE!!

edited March 2010 in The Shed

I hate that all the big games in the premiership now seem to be 12/1 o clock kick offs. I just feel it takes loads of atmosphere and spice away from the occasion. 

I remember watching Liverpool V Man utd, when Ruddock scored that header then looked like he'd been hit with a brick. Newcastle thrashing United with a chip from Phillipe ALBERTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT. Two 4-3 thrillers between Lpool and Newcastle, with last minute goals.

All of these were MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL! Under floodlights, fantastic occasions.

This game, BBurn V Burnley - its a massive derBy match for these fans, and no sooner are they up and outa bed, its time to go to football! - Wheres the time to go for a fry up, wash it down with with a few pints, soak up the atmosphere outside the ground, get yerself fired up for the game!!!

It seems to me the fans AND THE PLAYERS havent gotten out of bed yet!

BRING BACK MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL!!!!!

Comments

• edited March 2010
    Liverpool played the past few Monday nights and it has been rubbish.

• edited March 2010
    I agree its been annoying over the last couple of years.

If at all possible there should be a full football card on a Saturday afternoon and a live game on a Sunday.
  • edited March 2010
    I love it that it means so much to other teams supporters that their most fantastic memories are of beating Man U.

Its great to know that they deem that achievement the highlight of the decade.

Much better than actually winning these nice shiny boring silver things that Man u always win lololol..........now who are we gonna spank next.
  • edited March 2010
    There's still monday night football, it's just on ESPN and nobody watches it lol.
  • edited March 2010
    What about Setanta Sports? never see them advertising much nowadays.
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to ATMOSPHERE!!:
    I hate that all the big games in the premiership now seem to be 12/1 o clock kick offs. I just feel it takes loads of atmosphere and spice away from the occasion.  I remember watching Liverpool V Man utd, when Ruddock scored that header then looked like he'd been hit with a brick. Newcastle thrashing United with a chip from Phillipe ALBERTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT. Two 4-3 thrillers between Lpool and Newcastle, with last minute goals. All of these were MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL! Under floodlights, fantastic occasions. This game, BBurn V Burnley - its a massive derBy match for these fans, and no sooner are they up and outa bed, its time to go to football! - Wheres the time to go for a fry up, wash it down with with a few pints, soak up the atmosphere outside the ground, get yerself fired up for the game!!! It seems to me the fans AND THE PLAYERS havent gotten out of bed yet! BRING BACK MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL!!!!!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Some belting games you mention there JJ. Those Liverpool-Newcastle games were unreal.
     Glad you mentioned the 5-0 horsing given to the Mancs. (was a Sunday 4pm k.o)

Was not fortunate enough to be able to witness it first-hand, but remember watching it in a boozer in Darlington.

The commentary from Andy Gray and Martin Tyler that day was legendary.

I have NOT googled it but I can remember the following commentary from that day.....

when David Ginola made it 2-0 (turning Rat-Boy inside out in the process)......

ANDY GRAY quote "Take a Bow Son"

When Phillipe Albert scored that Goal.....

MARTIN TYLER quote "Phillipe Alberrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt"

Then one of them TYLER/GRAY....

"If the Rest was the Cake, then there is the Icing"

Happy Days. The Good Times will Return!!!!!!
  • edited March 2010
    Sorry Dohhhhhh, got a bit carried away there.

The dinner-time kick offs are not ideal. You are 100% right m8.
  • edited March 2010
    And the super Kev rant ..... "They've got to go to Middlesbrough and get something!! and I tell ya what, I'll love it if we beat them! Love it !!!"

You aren't gonna get Brian Laws ranting like that at half past one on a Sunday afternoon!!!

There was another Newcastle v Utd game - where Ud got absolutely battered, Schemicheal pulled off about eighty seven unreal saves, then Cantona nicked it with their first shot. Sickening, but as a goalie myself through junior league football - brilliant to watch the great Dane at his best. 

I dint think of ESPN! But even if they show games - theyre never likely to be big derby games, as theyre always on at dinner time, presumably to top people getting p1ssed upp al day and acting like 1diots. 

Shame tho :(

Dony still play Sheff Wed on Tuesday nights! Why cant we have Unted v Liverpool too? :(
  • edited March 2010

Bang Right again Dohhhhhhh ;0) The Keegan rant was during a 1-0 win at Leeds where Keith Gillespie scored with a header. Sadly for us it was at the other end of the ground so the celebrations were a bit "muted" until the penny dropped that he had scored!

The Newcastle Utd/Manc Game was the straw that broke the camels back for us in the 12 point-lead season. Schmeicheiicallblahhh was AWESOME that night. Credit where Credit is due...and one save he pulled off from Sir Les of Ferdinandshire, still makes me shake my head to this day.

You are right about the Early kick-offs as well....Its not "right" for games to be played at this hour (imo). There is no chance to soak up the atmosphere for ANY fans at the game.

Keep up the brilliant posts.

• edited March 2010
    In Response to ATMOSPHERE!!:
    I hate that all the big games in the premiership now seem to be 12/1 o clock kick offs. I just feel it takes loads of atmosphere and spice away from the occasion.  I remember watching Liverpool V Man utd, when Ruddock scored that header then looked like he'd been hit with a brick. Newcastle thrashing United with a chip from Phillipe ALBERTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT. Two 4-3 thrillers between Lpool and Newcastle, with last minute goals. All of these were MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL! Under floodlights, fantastic occasions. This game, BBurn V Burnley - its a massive derBy match for these fans, and no sooner are they up and outa bed, its time to go to football! - Wheres the time to go for a fry up, wash it down with with a few pints, soak up the atmosphere outside the ground, get yerself fired up for the game!!! It seems to me the fans AND THE PLAYERS havent gotten out of bed yet! BRING BACK MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL!!!!!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    i think thats why they have the early kick offs to stop people getting smashed then going to football and starting fights!!!

its all health and safety's fault!!
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: ATMOSPHERE!!:
    And the super Kev rant ..... "They've got to go to Middlesbrough and get something!! and I tell ya what, I'll love it if we beat them! Love it !!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    lol. This was the finest and funniest rant of all time. pmsl at the time. Newcastle had a really good and entertaining team.

I was glad when we nicked Andy Cole off them lolol.