You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Most Important Thing In Poker??

edited March 2010 in Poker Chat
Had this argument in the pub the other day, not sure there is a right or wrong answer but here goes!!

Comments

• edited March 2010
    These are all important factors, but I think ability.

If i could choose 2 I would say ability & bank roll management
  • edited March 2010
    They are all fairly important, I was gonna go for ability but it had to be position in the end as when you have position it makes the whole game a lot easier.
  • edited March 2010
    with out bankroll all you have is a tilting poker player with position,ability,notes etc lol
  • edited March 2010
    You forgot good looking with a great pair
  • edited March 2010

The Poll is flawed, imho.

It omits "to enjoy".

• edited March 2010

I don't think you can really compare some of the things on that list.

I mean having 100/100 ability, yet 1/100 bankroll management, you are gonna go broke - so id take the BR management.

Yet if you offered me 35/100 for BR management, and 90/100 ability, id take that rather than the other way around.

As long as you arent going nuts with ur bankroll, the ability you have should combat this weakness....

Id still go with ability, as this is something you cannot be taught. You can learn all the stats/odds/percentages etc, but you cant be taught "feel and instinct" at a table - which is in my opinion separates the good from the very good. 
    (just ask DANTB - King 8!!! ffs! lol)

Table selection, BR management, and notes can be easily taught, you can be good at these just by reading 4/5 pages of a book once, and you understand them for life.

Give me ability and discipline any day, and I'l figure the rest up as I go - great topic tho !!!

DOHH

(I think it would be good/fun, if on this or another thread, people rated themselves out of 100 in each of those catagories, self analysis and honesty is massive in poker, and doing something as simple as this may really help some people) - Whadda ya think?

• edited March 2010
    I agree with DOHHHH 100%. He said it way better than I did.
  • edited March 2010

To get Tikay off the fence - I think you should edit the title to "Mos Imortant thing to win at poker??"

Maybe Having fun would still be a valid answer? sigh

Try....

"APART FROM HAVING FUN!!! - What is the 2nd post important thing to be able to win at poker!!!"

:)
  • edited March 2010

Another slight mod - What is the most important thing to be a winning poker player in the long term

gotta give variance a nod.

• edited March 2010

I loved Dohx7's Post, in so many ways.

He mentioned discipline. I know a Pro, mainly Online, who, I guarantee you, is the best "spin-up merchant" around. He can - & does & has - have the ability to spin up $10 into $250k, & I've seen him do it time & again. Then he does the lot. If he only had discipline! We'd die for his ability, but without discipline, it's wasted ability.

He also mentioned one of THE great moments of TP for me - the DanTB10 K-8 coup. Honestly, the way he played it, explained it, & made the read, was truly astonishing.

• edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Most Important Thing In Poker??:
    To get Tikay off the fence - I think you should edit the title to "Mos Imortant thing to win at poker??" Maybe Having fun would still be a valid answer? sigh Try.... "APART FROM HAVING FUN!!! - What is the 2nd post important thing to be able to win at poker!!!" :)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Now I love Dohhhhhhh, too.
  • edited March 2010
    I have placed in the poll ability but I personally think there are many factors that are equally important in online play.

Ability is always important having no ability or no idea of the game then you are never gonna build to become a good player, yet at the same time like dohhhhhh said, if you have that but no bankroll management then one bad session and your broke :(, not a good plan.

I think position is also another important factor but not necessary as yes position is key but at the same time sometimes playing out of position with certain situations can be good as well. Table selection everybody say is key and yes it is cause if you stumble on a table with all tight players and you cant get anything paid is not the best but if you find the maniacs then you can get your monsters paid, or if your the looser player the tighter players will lay down your bluffs more so it is key.

On thing I think personally is the least important is information. Yes in a way its key you have notes on a player you can adapt to suit there play, but what if they were brand new first time, this time they play totally different, or they had a bad day played everything wrong next day play brilliantly, notes are never key, I personally think that you can have notes but keep them general and then build a brand new read on top of that general information cause players can change and adapt due to many different factors.

To concise all that down I think a lot of things are equally important in playing good online poker as a lot of things have to be worked together to be able to play online optimally. One other thing is to make sure you play when you know you can play your best, but the most important thing about online poker full stop regardless of results is to have fun. :)

Good luck on the tables all

Spike2120

one last thing is that I agree with dohhhh with that other post about our opinions on ourselves, why aint you put it up yet lol :P

• edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Most Important Thing In Poker??:
    I have placed in the poll ability but I personally think there are many factors that are equally important in online play. Ability is always important having no ability or no idea of the game then you are never gonna build to become a good player, yet at the same time like dohhhhhh said, if you have that but no bankroll management then one bad session and your broke :(, not a good plan. I think position is also another important factor but not necessary as yes position is key but at the same time sometimes playing out of position with certain situations can be good as well. Table selection everybody say is key and yes it is cause if you stumble on a table with all tight players and you cant get anything paid is not the best but if you find the maniacs then you can get your monsters paid, or if your the looser player the tighter players will lay down your bluffs more so it is key. On thing I think personally is the least important is information. Yes in a way its key you have notes on a player you can adapt to suit there play, but what if they were brand new first time, this time they play totally different, or they had a bad day played everything wrong next day play brilliantly, notes are never key, I personally think that you can have notes but keep them general and then build a brand new read on top of that general information cause players can change and adapt due to many different factors. To concise all that down I think a lot of things are equally important in playing good online poker as a lot of things have to be worked together to be able to play online optimally. One other thing is to make sure you play when you know you can play your best, but the most important thing about online poker full stop regardless of results is to have fun. :) Good luck on the tables all Spike2120
    Posted by Spike2120
    Time for a Love-Fest, methinks.

I'm here, & ready.
  • edited March 2010

1. preparation 

2. bankroll management 

3. the rest will follow .
  • edited March 2010

PATIENCE!!!

Wait for it......... 
  • edited March 2010
    have fun??? dont talk rubbish, manchester united and chelsea dont start the season saying as long as we have fun its a good season, its all about winning and nothing more, stop being silly and suggesting its all about fun cos its not
  • edited March 2010
    There is soemthing I do day in & day out for money. That would be my job! Yes money is an important aspect of poker, but without the fun I wouldn't bother personally.
  • edited March 2010
    oh yes rooney and lampard dont care if they win as long as they have their wages
  • edited March 2010

To extend your analogy some more,

do you think Rooney et al enjoy what they do? Or do you think they jyst drag themselves in for the cash?

• edited March 2010

Would they play if they didnt get paid?

Yup I reckon so :)
  • edited March 2010
    Mango's ..... just ask Julie
  • edited March 2010
    Mango's are the key.