You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Maintaining concentration

edited March 2010 in Poker Chat
What are your tips for staying focused and disciplined when you are in the final stages of an MTT? I tend to get a bit punch drunk and start playing really badly, just at the time when you need to play your best!

Comments

• edited March 2010
    I think concentration is my biggest problem at the moment. Im currently in a horrific badrun (Check my sharkscope graph) I think im playing OK, but im not concentrating as I should be. What I have done is just bought a set of headphones to block out the sound of the mrs watching TV and listen to some music. I find myself sat on a table for 30 mins and still have no idea who is tight/loose/passive etc etc because I am simply playing my own cards while spinning round watching some trash on TV that I dont even like.

My advice would be simply turn off anything that can be a distraction. Turn on some music if it helps and watch everything the opponents do. If they bet x3 the BB regually, then suddenly bet 4 or 5 times, keep an eye on what cards they have. Once you get into "The Zone" you will not be distracted. At these stages there is not alot of play left, its a case of get your chips in, so anything that seems unusual and makes your oppo look weak/strong react accordingly, if you time these right it only takes 2 or 3 good moves and you are chip leader.

My trouble at the moment is even reaching the cash! If I cash I go deep, but getting there seems to be a massive problem at the moment.
  • edited March 2010
    I could answer this, but I'd feel pretty silly afterwards.

OK, you know what, I don't care. Try pretending that one of your poker heros is sat with you in the room, and is scrutinising your every move, with a view to personally mentoring you – and buying you into the WSOP... if you play well enough. 

But the tournament you're currently playing, is your one and only chance at this opportunity. 

It doesn't matter who the pro is, it could be Negreanu, Hansen, Helmuth or Orford. But the point of this is; you will immediately sharpen your focus as it's important to impress the pro. You'll be so eager to demonstrate your prowess, that you'll even commentate on the hands that you're not involved in, and predict the other players' cards based upon their bet sizing.

Then, as a bonus, imagine that if you get in the top 10%, your poker hero will dispense a small tender kiss to your cheek and buy you a Pot Noodle.

All I can say is, it works for me. Don't knock it until you've tried it.
  • edited March 2010
    this is a good question as ive been on a bad run of late like norm lol but i seem to lose concentration when i get the chip lead and then i just go useless losing most of my stacks playing like a novice like ive just done in a torny i raised pre flop of 4 times the big blind 1800 get a call hit my pair move all in get a call and he has a straight i didnt even see oh well
  • edited March 2010
    patience my young padowin. focus your mind and dont be clouded by the dark side. just as skywalker flew down the deathstar allyway with darth vader on his tail. he relaxed while listening to obeone canoby and took off his visor. consentrated on his target and didnt just blast away but waited for the right moment and fired. His shot entered his target and obliterated the deathstar and the galaxy was saved. :) May the force be with you in these criticle moments!
  • edited March 2010
    I get my fiancee to come hug me and I talk her through every hand, why im calling/raising/folding and what other players are playing like.