You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bad fold

edited April 2010 in Poker Chat
Now ive heard of a number of people saying to me that they made a bad fold. Now is there really such a thing as a bad fold. 90% of the time when a player folds he/she is usually behind to at least one opponent. So for example I fold Q,7 pre flop. The flop come Q,Q,7 although i feel sick for folding, i know the AJ that won in the end with the kicker was ahead of me when i folded. This by logic makes it the correct fold if im right in thinking.

So im woundering am i the only one who believes in this or is there someone out there who agrees with me?

Comments

• edited March 2010
    I think that there are certain situations where it would be incorrect to fold.  I don't really understand your example, you can't judge whether a pre-flop fold is good by what you would have hit on the flop. 
  • edited March 2010

Perhaps this hand is a bad example, as my oppenent shows no aggression, but it's fresh in my mind.  I can't think of a single point in this hand where if he had shown any aggression that I could have folded.  It doesn't mean that it would have been a bad call, I'm winning so often here.  At the same time, I think that if my opponent had shown any aggression, my fold would be a bad one, as I am loosing money by folding these spots in the long term.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    42D Small blind  15.00 15.00 1165.00
    Wilhelm Big blind  30.00 45.00 790.00
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • Q

42D Call  15.00 60.00 1150.00
    Wilhelm Raise  60.00 120.00 730.00
    42D Call  60.00 180.00 1090.00
    Flop

• J
    • J

Wilhelm Bet  90.00 270.00 640.00
    42D Call  90.00 360.00 1000.00
    Turn

• J

Wilhelm Bet  180.00 540.00 460.00
    42D Call  180.00 720.00 820.00
    River

• Q

Wilhelm All-in  460.00 1180.00 0.00
    42D Call  460.00 1640.00 360.00
    42D Show
    • J

Wilhelm Show
    • Q
    • Q

42D Win Four Jacks 1640.00  2000.00
  • edited March 2010

Folding hands, is hard! - In some spots, it looks impossible to fold, but the great players can.

Sometimes, you can fold in a situation, and find out later that it was the "wrong fold in that instance" - but you have to be a really good player to be able to make it.

I was watching the primo, and saw a hand involving the home guest who had pocket tens, another player, who had pocket jacks, and a guy who uses the forum called FLASHFLUSH who had pocket queens. 

There were about 18 thousand raises pre flop before the tens and the jacks ended up all in.

The decision was on FF to call an all in with QQ for his tournament - with 2 guys all in ahead of him. He folded the hand.

Looking back at the hand, he was miles ahead. But was his fold bad? 

Sure he wont mind me saying, check his Sharcskope stats - and see what being capable of making this type of big fold can help you achieve long term.

The example you give with the queen 7 Don is auwful lol. My Dad moans when he folds and "his cards come out" - and he's been playing 3 weeks - I still have no sympathy !!!

DOHH
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Bad fold:
    Folding hands, is hard! - In some spots, it looks impossible to fold, but the great players can. Sometimes, you can fold in a situation, and find out later that it was the "wrong fold in that instance" - but you have to be a really good player to be able to make it. I was watching the primo, and saw a hand involving the home guest who had pocket tens, another player, who had pocket jacks, and a guy who uses the forum called FLASHFLUSH who had pocket queens.  There were about 18 thousand raises pre flop before the tens and the jacks ended up all in. The decision was on FF to call an all in with QQ for his tournament - with 2 guys all in ahead of him. He folded the hand. Looking back at the hand, he was miles ahead. But was his fold bad?  Sure he wont mind me saying, check his Sharcskope stats - and see what being capable of making this type of big fold can help you achieve long term. The example you give with the queen 7 Don is auwful lol. My Dad moans when he folds and "his cards come out" - and he's been playing 3 weeks - I still have no sympathy !!! DOHH
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    wow, just checked out his stats, impressive,  Also checked out yours.....  you shy one you ;)
  • edited March 2010
    Bad fold if you are on a table were people are allowing you to limp in. Right fold when people are making you pay to see the flop no matter what the flop comes down as! IMO.
  • edited March 2010
    Btw, did anyone see the wsope on channel 4 last night?  Your man folded Kings pre-flop and showed, the other guy showed him the bullets...
  • edited March 2010
    Btw, did anyone see the wsope on channel 4 last night?  Your man folded Kings pre-flop and showed, the other guy showed him the bullets...
    Posted by Wilhelm
    Fair play, the guy with the bullets was Hollywooding soooooo much that he might as well have had "I've got Aces!!!!" tattooed on his forehead. If he'd just made his raise and sat there like a good little boy, he'd have been paid off for sure.

Still, great fold by KK boy though.
  • edited March 2010
    I think too many players concentrate on the hand they have been given and pre flop any hand could win. Its all about betting the right amount you could have 23 and take down a AK no problem even if they raise. If they dont hit you can represent any card on the board if your brave enough to do so. its risky to do but good players are able to take advantage so depends on your decision making and reads of players. Not good practice to do all the time but now and again it can be very profitable.
  • edited March 2010
    The decision was on FF to call an all in with QQ for his tournament - with 2 guys all in ahead of him. He folded the hand.  DOHH
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I remember watching that hand. Folded for the right reasons cos most of the time he's behind.
    Didn't a Q come down on the flop as well?
  • edited April 2010

It did!!!!

Does that make it bad? :)

• edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: Bad fold : wow, just checked out his stats, impressive,  Also checked out yours.....  you shy one you ;)
    Posted by JockBMW
    wow check out dantb10s results on sharkscope. thats inpressive
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to Bad fold:
    Now ive heard of a number of people saying to me that they made a bad fold. Now is there really such a thing as a bad fold. 90% of the time when a player folds he/she is usually behind to at least one opponent. So for example I fold Q,7 pre flop. The flop come Q,Q,7 although i feel sick for folding, i know the AJ that won in the end with the kicker was ahead of me when i folded. This by logic makes it the correct fold if im right in thinking. So im woundering am i the only one who believes in this or is there someone out there who agrees with me?
    Posted by The_Don90

HU Q7 is 35% to AJ
    so folding pre flop is a bad fold if the implyed odd are there.

You cant look at it as i got a hand which is probly beat pre or u will only eva play AA
  • edited April 2010
    in the words of JC Tran. 'I'd rather make a bad lay down, than a bad call'

wise words.