You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

THE OPEN IS NOW 3K????????

2»

Comments

• edited April 2010

Surely the fact that there have been no sats for the open all day will affect numbers?
  • edited April 2010
    the average social poker played is attracted to tournament poker.  basically the type of poker they see on tv.  sky really has to do something for those players to start playing on sky rather than the competition.  i understand all the arguments about the tv stuff and the overlay occassionally on guaranteed tournaments.  i just think its a massive shame that something that was so successful in getting people into playing on sky is going to slowly die a death just like the 8.15pm deepstack tournament did(used to be 80-90 players and £500 gtd, now is 15-25 players with £150 gtd).  its all well and good saying the interest from the players isnt there but you have to provide a tournament to be interested in.

people lose interest for a reason...simple
  • edited April 2010
    A truly excellent post by Aces.

Sky poker is a business. In any business, decisions are made based on return of investment, and Sky poker is no exception I'm sure. It would be nice if it was a charity for poker players but, like ALL other sites, it isn't and can't be. As Aces has pointed out, we are all members of a very unique club. What you get at Sky isn't on offer anywhere else. I play some of the biggest sites and for some of biggest prize-pools for online tournaments in the world. Where do I regard myself as at ''home'' ........ Sky Poker!

The guarantees for tournaments aren't plucked out of the air, they are set at a point the management feel they can sustain , profitably. The amount of coverage on TV may not be what we would all like but it's what can be sustained, profitably. The number of premier tournaments on any given day is what can be sustained, profitably. It has to be this way otherwise it would be loss-making and it would close down.

The one factor that determines all the above is the players, based on how many, and what they choose to play. Sky can only react to that. Sometimes Sky can attempt to promote but at the end of the day the players actions dictate what takes place.

As Aces has said, we get a lot from Sky Poker that isn't available anywhere else. How it progresses and grows is up to us. I personally think all aspects of the site are the bees-knees and long may it continue. All things will never suit everyone and we all like our little moans occasionally, but at the end of the day we are very very lucky and would be far worse off without it.
  • edited April 2010

Looks like i am in the minority..but i prefer the smaller guarantees with the smaller fields as the variance is too big when playing with over 500 players.
    I love playing poker and play mostly everyday but i cant justify missing a football game as good as tonights,even my gf loved the 1st leg and she hates football lol.

• edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: THE OPEN IS NOW 3K????????:
    Surely the fact that there have been no sats for the open all day will affect numbers?
    Posted by uber_rock
    There have been sats all day.
  • edited April 2010
    I myself have come to 3 conclusions

1 shoot on site anyone who disrespects SKY POKER

2 shoot on site anyone not interested in 2nites BARCA v ARSENAL footy (sorry stokey but i do not see stoke v barca in the near future) lol

3 enjoy the poker here as it IS unlike anywhere else

dav
  • edited April 2010
    I myself have come to 3 conclusions 1 shoot on site anyone who disrespects SKY POKER 2 shoot on site anyone not interested in 2nites BARCA v ARSENAL footy (sorry stokey but i do not see stoke v barca in the near future) lol 3 enjoy the poker here as it IS unlike anywhere else dav
    Posted by dav1964
    bit harsh m8 lol,sorry but i lost intrest in the CL a few years back now ,i wish they would put the top 4 or five in a super league and let them get on with it..anyway people do what they want,stoke v barca rory would scare em to death
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: THE OPEN IS NOW 3K???????? : bit harsh m8 lol,sorry but i lost intrest in the CL a few years back now ,i wish they would put the top 4 or five in a super league and let them get on with it..anyway people do what they want,stoke v barca rory would scare em to death
    Posted by stokefc
    Nice one mate gl dav