You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Idea for a new tournie - *ANOTHER NAMING COMPETITION*

edited July 2009 in Poker Chat
Thought I'd offer up an idea for a tournament for the site - apologies if its ben suggested before, I haven't seen it.

Its basically a weekly tournament (something with a reasonable buy in and chip size/blind structure), and it is named after the person that won it the week before.  So each week the winner not only gets the biggest payout they also have the next tournament in their name and a free buy in to it.  (Ladbrokes do a similar thing called 'The Daddy')

So eg first week it runs its just called "The invitational", "The Daddy", or "The Big Chip Love Fest", and then say I won the first one, week 2 it is now called "Repton3's Invitational", "Repton3 is The Daddy" or "Repton3's Big Chip Love Fest", week 2 is won by someone called MrCheese so week 3 the tournament is called "MrCheese is The Daddy" etc etc

I always loved the idea of this tournament setup when i saw it at ladbrokes.

What does anyone else think?

Comments

• edited July 2009
  • edited July 2009
  • edited July 2009

Hi,

An interesting concept - My only Q's are what should the entry fee be, and to appeal to the masses, should it be a 10 min blind level or a more DS one and on which day do you want it to run on?

Also do we put a bounty on the previous weeks winners head?

I'll also open it up to all to come up with the name for the first week. Prize for the winner is a seat in the next £15k Primo.....

So get busy, the closing date is 5pm Monday.

All the best,

Bernie

• edited July 2009

THE NUTS

FISH N CHIPS

Deep stack 12 min blinds format starting at 19.30 Thursdays or Sundays £5 buy in for those who can't afford the Five 00 or the Open! 

• edited July 2009
    Hi Bernie,

Well assuming this idea is for the masses, as it would be about getting your name on the event and free entry etc.. then prob (even though we all love the DS structures) it should be say 10 min blinds? Not sure, maybe others can comment too :)

Not sure if putting a bounty on the previous winners head then makes it closer to the bh format?

Names:

Sky poker "The one" tournament  = flashflush is THE ONE  - this would prob work better if the winner had a bounty on their head.

'the Sky Masters Series' = Phil12UK is the MASTER.  Master series could be more of a DS event - or you could have it 10 min but create it's own mini league. If you went this route you would prob want a buy in from £5 -£10. I can see a league structure focused on one tournament being popular.

finally

"Sky Fire" tournament = Tikay10 is on fire.... that would be more just about who is running well. I.e. won the week before.

or on a jokey angle.

The Sky 'Takeaway' - Mickjenn1's Takeaway  etc.... implying you takeaway the top prize and freeentry to the next week. Ok I am all out of creative ideas for now lol

Cheers

Dave
  • edited July 2009
    Hi
    Why not just call it The Champ, then the next week it would go, hopefully lol, Mr-Mbro is the champ.
    I think that it is proved that a smaller buyin will attract a bigger field(Mickjenn's tourny is an example), so i would pitch it at £5.50 with 10 min blinds, you could run it on a Saturday night 7pm start.

col
  • edited July 2009
    i normaly go all out for these naming and caption comp's, lets face it its the only chance i have of winning anything ;)

i will only offer one this time, since i think Grimstar's suggestions are really good and will be hard to top :)

my suggestion is Schools out, the winner is then top of the class i.e schools out. Grimstar is top of the class.

i know, i know, i'll get my coat. :)
  • edited July 2009
    I like the idea of a bounty on winners head. May I suggest the format used for the weekly league final as that tourney has plenty of scope for play yet doesnt last as long as the deepstacks.

How about initially it's called "Sky Name The Game" and the weekly winner then has to name their tourney for the next week?  They can then go on a Mickjenn promotional campaign with some sort of prize (Sky T shirt?) if the runners get above a certain number?
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: Idea for a new tournie - *ANOTHER NAMING COMPETITION*:
    i normaly go all out for these naming and caption comp's, lets face it its the only chance i have of winning anything ;) i will only offer one this time, since i think Grimstar's suggestions are really good and will be hard to top :) my suggestion is Schools out, the winner is then top of the class i.e schools out. Grimstar is top of the class. i know, i know, i'll get my coat. :)
    Posted by mike1975
    Yeah you have pulled lol... haha I never win these things mate! prob only chance for years i can afford the Primo haha
  • edited July 2009
    I like the idea of a bounty on winners head. May I suggest the format used for the weekly league final as that tourney has plenty of scope for play yet doesnt last as long as the deepstacks. How about initially it's called "Sky Name The Game" and the weekly winner then has to name their tourney for the next week?  They can then go on a Mickjenn promotional campaign with some sort of prize (Sky T shirt?) if the runners get above a certain number?
    Posted by phil12uk
    This is a good idea mate
  • edited July 2009

Well i have a mtt sir tkay has 1 and quite right 2, wat about rich top geezer, had a great laff at dtd wiv him, so i think it shud be called just 1 word, ORFORDS,  he gets sum stick about his poker but hes not as bad as every1 makes out, whenever hes in the chatbox you are guaranteed a laff.   so sky ORFORDS MTT?

• edited July 2009
    Well i have a mtt sir tkay has 1 and quite right 2, wat about rich top geezer, had a great laff at dtd wiv him, so i think it shud be called just 1 word, ORFORDS,  he gets sum stick about his poker but hes not as bad as every1 makes out, whenever hes in the chatbox you are guaranteed a laff.   so sky ORFORDS MTT?
    Posted by mickjenn1
    Hi mick

I have to say I totaly agree with what you say, I have had the pleasure, yes pleasure of watching Richard play poker under his alias, and no I am not telling, Richard will give it out if and when he wants, allthough there are a few who know it, there is nothing I like better than watching my mates win.

So come on lets have a tourny named after Richard

• edited July 2009
    I think naming it after Richard loses the initial point of this thread. The point is the winner gets it names after him.  I agree that there should be a speed tourney of some sort named after Rich but not for this idea.
  • edited July 2009
    The first week it should be called "The winner of this tournement will get the tournement named after them next week", or something snappy like that.  To make it different - 2500 starting stack - 9 minute blinds - slow blind structure.  Start at 19:00 on a Saturday.

Name of the Game
    Winner name's it all
    The name fame game

• edited July 2009

I'd say a lowish buyin to attract quite a few runners, say £5.50, reasonable stack 2500 chips and 9/10 min blinds. 

A bounty on previous winners head was a great suggestion I like that idea. - Maybe an amount equal to a full buy in (e.g £5.50) to reward the successful killer.

Ideas for names:

Sky Rocks     - e.g "repton3 Rocks"
    Beat the Winner        - e.g "Beat repton3"
    Watch out!        - e.g "Watch out repton3 is about"
    Quake in Fear      - e.g "Quake in fear of repton3"

I'll have to think of some more, this is exciting :)

• edited July 2009
    hi all new to this so thought id have a go what about naming it YOU TOO COULD BE A WINNER or IT COULD BE YOU OR even BRAGGING RIGHTS GOES TO................

make the following week a bounty on last weeks winner
     id say £5.00 buy in with 10 mins blinds
  • edited July 2009
    Forgot to add - Friday night would be the best night for me for the tournament to run as its the evening I most often get free and can afford to stay up playing poker!  But in terms of the masses playing I'd just say the tournament should go on whichever night you currently have the least 'special' tournaments in the schedule.
  • edited July 2009
    how about the winner gets to change the blind structure as well so we can have the winners fav structure, buy in should be 5.50 always tho so its affordable to all. winit2nameit something simple like that should be the name
  • edited July 2009
    the winning formula sounds good ...repton gr8 idea m8 like it ,, what about the name pole posistion??
  • edited July 2009
    "THE SPECIAL ONE"
  • edited July 2009
    I've got it... "King for the week".  Everyone wants to be king, even if only for a week!

"Player456 is King"
  • edited July 2009
    Spartacus

"Annie Duke is Spartacus"

:o)~
  • edited July 2009
    1) Numero Uno

"Diablo Pez is Numero Uno"

2) All Hail

"All Hail Diablo Pez"

3) The Target (assuming bounty on head)

"Diablo Pez is The Target"

• edited July 2009
    pez,,,wot bout FOREST.. OR ,, forest beat derby torn???
  • edited July 2009
    The Idea is great repton3 ....  (.......... is the Daddy) Tournament, !!

3000 chips

12 min levels

7.30 start

Entry 22quid (with loads of satellite's through the week and on the day)

With this structure the final table should be finished before midnight allowing time for TV coverage if wanted !!
  • edited July 2009
    pez,,,wot bout FOREST.. OR ,, forest beat derby torn???
    Posted by razorkev
    Hahaha realistic names only plz Kev - they aint managed to beat us for the best part of 10 years....it's sort of like saying the qpr beat chelsea torn, or qpr beat west ham, or qpr beat millwall...u get the drift lolol
  • edited July 2009
    but I'm Spartacus...
  • edited July 2009
    I think the 1st time it should be called "The Chip Daddy tournament" then after it has been won it should say i.e "Chip Daddy FlashFlush"

Chips 2500

Blinds 12 mins

Time + Date 8pm Any Night

My reason for those... 2500 chips, its an original amount with not a too large amount as it could start with alot of runners.
    Blinds 12 mins, it needs to be a skillfull tournament!
    8pm as people are starting to sit down and play by then and also not too close to the open

Cheers

Flash
  • edited July 2009
    Get your entries in Guys!

sky_bernie is going to judge this around 5pm today, so make sure you have a crack at naming the tournament

Rich
  • edited July 2009
    Its a knock out :)