You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

A couple of days rest & a change of pace

edited April 2010 in Poker Chat
Was exactly what the poker doctor ordered. 

I was starting to get very tilty towards the end of last week after being outdrawn left right & centre. I'd love to say it was all down to variance but I know for a FACT that probably half of it was my own fault for not taking a time out sooner.

Other than the TKO the other night, tonight's the first time I've played for a few days & I've come back better for it. Cashed in the £250Gtd speed & then again in 2 consecutive DYM as well (one PLO). Smaller stakes than I normally play but man, it feels good again. Tonight I've made a profit of £5.78 but in all honesty, it feels like 100 times more than that simply because I've enjoyed the thrill of it all again.

The moral of the story.................Take a break, have a change of pace & most importantly, don't let a few silly outdraws ruin your love for this wonderful game

Jay

Comments

• edited April 2010

spot on mate! i did a thread last week 'starting over' which is a bit simliar to this and i took a break for about 4-5 days and came back fully refreshed and rippin the tables apart again! that lasted about 2 days and then started playin like a muppet again lol! all good fun though!...  
    your a good player, even though i believe ive only crossed swords with you in the deepstacks? and u dont need any advice from me, you did the right thing - took a break, got ur head straight and come back with a bang! gl mate, hope your good run continues! - Andy

• edited April 2010
    Cheers Andy

I think you usually play a bit higher stakes than me but we've definitely crossed swords in one or two deepies.

The thing is, taking a small break is such a simple thing to do but sometimes I think some people forget that when they're steaming.
  • edited April 2010
    I never really agree with breaks unless ure playin rubbish.If ure gettin ure chips or cash in when in front that is all you can ever hope for.Variance will ALWAYS be the deciding factor.dav
  • edited April 2010
    Nice one SB (Jay)  ..Yes, "it's a funny ol game" as the saying goes....

One minute you flying high and cant miss, next thing is ...boom !  Your grounded ...   good luck.. and may the 'poker fairy' sit on our shoulder a while !!   

:))
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: A couple of days rest & a change of pace:
    I never really agree with breaks unless ure playin rubbish.If ure gettin ure chips or cash in when in front that is all you can ever hope for.Variance will ALWAYS be the deciding factor.dav
    Posted by dav1964
    I agree i play just as well on the next game when ive been loosing but taking a break just makes things seem a little less bad. When you keep being sucked out on and its not your fault it anyoys the he l l out of you. And id rather take a break just so i enjoy the game more. when i come back.
  • edited April 2010
    i keep thinking about taking a break when on a downswing but i cant,i just love playing and tbh thers not alot that intrests me at home the teles rubbish,the only break i,ll take is if like just now when me aq got busted by q5 in the £900 gtd i,ll sit out for half an hour read a few posts write a few replies like im doin now then i,ll load a couple of cash games before bedtime play real tight trying not to tilt not that i tilt easily i dont but if i do feel my cheeks burning because of the anger because it does,sometimes i do just switch off usually for the night too but thats not very often.
    maybe when the downswings are happening i know they are happening and im disciplined enough to slow down
    i dont go throwing me br away cuz im playing within me means so losing a few BIs cuz of bad beats doesn,t effect me much.
    what i do find tho is when i hit a hot streak i seem to recoup my money and more and it seems to be me giving the bad beats as well as playing well cuz this games easy when things are going well.well thats my thoughts anyway,i just cant keep away from the tables running good or bad i just slow down...sean
    edit:took me that long to write this its time for bed nite nite
  • edited April 2010
    Nite nite mate dav