You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

URGENT HELP NEEDED........

edited April 2010 in Poker Chat
it has come to my attention that my bankroll management is obviously poor/non existent. I have always just started my account off with a small deposit of say £50, and withdraw the lot when its over say £500...
if i bust, just start again....

but i have been thinking lately and after my last couple of escapades (the drunk night, and last night) it is obvious i need to address this issue.

i am most happy/comfortable at nl50 and nl30

and i rarely play mtts or sng's

i have been thinking about recording my roi's of each table/session etc

someone help

ideas please.....

Comments

• edited April 2010

See a shrink...not a poker forum......

:)

Nah honestly u said its hard to make a decent profit at nl20 - I woldnt say it was hard, but your right, sometimes it is a grind.....

However...for me, NL30 is completely different - especially during the day - when the nl50 tables r full of regs and steady players - n30/80 is a better option. I made rly good money (best iv ever done) at nl30 last month - and move onto nl50 at midnight onwards.....

NL30 FOR ME FELLA!!!! IF THAT DOESNT WORK - SHRINK!
  • edited April 2010
    why not save up a bit more slowly on the lower tables, or on tournies untill you have a big enough roll---then you can go to cash tables with only around 5% of your bankroll, much easier to ride the storms this way
  • edited April 2010
    Crowe

I would suggest you read my blog over next few days...I carn't promise anything but it may help

Keep Smiling
    HAL_9000
  • edited April 2010
    I read somewhere the other day you got upto £250 then blew it.

As long as you can afford to lose what your depositing and not miss it if you do bust then it is all good, but maybe when you next get to £250-£500 withdraw it and go for a night out and enjoy what you have won.
  • edited April 2010
    wat i do is when im in a decent win i withdraw  3 quarters off it ( and the wife spends it ) and use other quarter to carry on playin
  • edited April 2010
    thanks for the help, but was looking for something a bit more strategical. ie always having say £500 in the kitty for playing 2x nl50 tables, anything over the £500 at the end of the day i withdraw, hopefuly keeping above the 500 lol. or maybe £300 for 2x 30nl tables.....

you get the idea, who here uses proper br management and what do they do?

thanks
  • edited April 2010
  • edited April 2010

20-40 Buyins apparently, so i use 30 lol.

For example, 2play 50 nl you should have a £1500 bankroll. (at the end of the month you could take off any money over £1500)
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED........:
    20-40 Buyins apparently, so i use 30 lol. For example, 2play 50 nl you should have a £1500 bankroll. (at the end of the month you could take off any money over £1500)
    Posted by DeuceAK-47
    well i know of the 5% rule, but 40 buy ins just takes the biscuit lol, that would have to be some bad run to need all them in reserve, i think i would have to give up poker lol
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED........ : well i know of the 5% rule, but 40 buy ins just takes the biscuit lol, that would have to be some bad run to need all them in reserve, i think i would have to give up poker lol
    Posted by crow01
    Lol, yeah 40 buyins is quite safe but some players like the extra security when moving up limits as they could be loosing players at the next level,If you know you can beat the level you play on then 20 buyins is plenty enough.
  • edited April 2010

I have like the reverse of bad bankroll management - Im far too safe.

I have like 80 x pull ups for the level I play - thats in my account...

Anyone been through the transition from lower mid stakes to higher mid stakes? I believe this is where the real jump is, and where the players become 80% solid, ie, 4/5 out of 6 at the table r good players, rather than a table with 1 or 2 good players.....

Its all mentality - the beats WOULD hurt me - no matter what my bankroll is - coz ive worked so hard over the last 6 weeks to build it - and the thought of it being taken away by playing higher kills me....

How have u dealt with the transition? - Should I just eat loads of snickers and get some nuts?

DOHH

• edited April 2010
    thanks for the help, but was looking for something a bit more strategical. ie always having say £500 in the kitty for playing 2x nl50 tables, anything over the £500 at the end of the day i withdraw, hopefuly keeping above the 500 lol. or maybe £300 for 2x 30nl tables..... you get the idea, who here uses proper br management and what do they do? thanks
    Posted by crow01
    Ha, bit of a sore subject, but when I was doing it properly, I was still playing nl20 with £800 - 1k.  Withdrawing was not a plan as such, but if I needed money for something I would have to withdraw some.  I would never want my acc to go under £500 though
  • edited April 2010
    I have like the reverse of bad bankroll management - Im far too safe. I have like 80 x pull ups for the level I play - thats in my account... Anyone been through the transition from lower mid stakes to higher mid stakes? I believe this is where the real jump is, and where the players become 80% solid, ie, 4/5 out of 6 at the table r good players, rather than a table with 1 or 2 good players..... Its all mentality - the beats WOULD hurt me - no matter what my bankroll is - coz ive worked so hard over the last 6 weeks to build it - and the thought of it being taken away by playing higher kills me.... How have u dealt with the transition? - Should I just eat loads of snickers and get some nuts? DOHH
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    LOL, On a serious note though you should play where your most comfortable or where you make the most money, when i move up and take shots at the next level i make sure i moved straight back down if i lost more than five buyins until i won them back and then rinsed and repeated until you can beat the next level.
    Also some professional poker players never move up as although they can beat the next level they can make more money by crushing the level below.

If the beats really hurt when loosing big amounts of money, try not to worry about what you win/loose daily or weekly and analyse you results monthly-this helps me anyway lol

Hope this makes sense and i reckon the biggest jump in stakes is from 100nl to 200nl but im not good enough to get that far yet :-)