You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

I need to cool down for a few minutes...

edited April 2010 in Poker Chat
Right, send me to Area 51.....Hell, send me to District 9!? Why am I getting outdrawn every single time Im ahead!!? Why am I having the perfect reads on players and there flat calling till the river to hit a card!?!?

Oh Poker Gods....Please shine down on me soon! Somehow I've grinded a stack back up to 1.7k in the Vegas Qtrs....I was on 5k!

LAPTOP IS BEING WARNED IT MAY HAVE A BAD NIGHT!!

Comments

• edited April 2010
    me too m8 first hand i had pocket 4s hit set on the flop all chips are in after a reraise and he has pocket 6s and hit higher set on flop. Hand before in 6k i hit fh and they had better fh. Just drawing dead with great hands. Immmm fuuuummmin but got a carry on. hope our luck changes m8
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: I need to cool down for a few minutes...:
    me too m8 first hand i had pocket 4s hit set on the flop all chips are in after a reraise and he has pocket 6s and hit higher set on flop. Hand before in 6k i hit fh and they had better fh. Just drawing dead with great hands. Immmm fuuuummmin but got a carry on. hope our luck changes m8
    Posted by Dazler
    Wow that is horrible, unlucky mate.

Im out now....pocket 44s ran into JJs...the hand that hurt me was when small blind pushed with A5...I snap call with A9 because I know Im ahead...course he hits a 5 on river.

Oh well, thats me done for the night...I'll stick to trying to get through the cheaper Sats.
  • edited April 2010
    i know it sucks dont it. Earlier in 100garanteed i had pocket 8s raise it flop comes J8J so ive got my fh. Guy goes all in and i call he has J7off and hits 7 on river. Sums up my day lol. Heres hopin tomoraz is better gl m8
  • edited April 2010

Stop playin have a cuppa and an early night and santa poker will bring you goodies in the morning lol

• edited April 2010
    santa poker is dead to me.
  • edited April 2010
    santa poker is dead to me.
    Posted by crow01
    you have too be nice and send him a letter or you dont get nothing ;)
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to I need to cool down for a few minutes...:
    Right, send me to Area 51.....Hell, send me to District 9!? Why am I getting outdrawn every single time Im ahead!!? Why am I having the perfect reads on players and there flat calling till the river to hit a card!?!? Oh Poker Gods....Please shine down on me soon! Somehow I've grinded a stack back up to 1.7k in the Vegas Qtrs....I was on 5k! LAPTOP IS BEING WARNED IT MAY HAVE A BAD NIGHT!!
    Posted by Ads2kuk
    Dear Mr. Ads
    As you know I am regular player on sky poker, and yes. I have suffered the same fate. It was only a short time ago I realised what it was.

Unfortunately, There are a lot of newbies signing up for sky poker and i'm afraid until there poker improves this is bound to happen on a continuous basis. I regularly used to play in the 8.15 deepstack and most weeks the same players entered, these players were regulars and new the game and new me, I new how to play against them and they new how to play against me, however, week after week we continuously had new players entering the tourny until it became a bit of a luckfest.

I dont like it but, you have got to adapt you game to take the newbie players into account. I started by sitting as tight as a ducks bum, in the same tournies I had regularly cashed in. I only played premium hands and most of the time I only played 1 premium hand an hour but raked in as much cash as possible in this hand and it saw me through to the last table.

What I am basically saying is - Its not you that is playing any differently, it is not sky that is giving you bad beats - It is the amount of new players joining sky poker who will continuously call because of there inexperience and the fact that they are new to the game.

You know if you raise 4 x BB most experienced players will fold because they know your game or because a 4 x BB usually means you have poket pairs, unfortunately, the amount of newbies that are joining will call you because of there inexperience, however, once they achieve the same ability as you they will then start to fold to your 4 x BB raise.

My advice is - Sit Tight until you get to know the players on the table and then punish them for their inexperience. but don't forget, just like you and me, the more experienced they get the less likely they will be calling stations.

I personally think it is quite sad to have as many bad beats as we do on sky poker, however, their are a vast amount of new players joining sky poker just like you and me did, but I firmly believe the bad beats are due to the inexperience of new players, we expect them to play methodical poker and fold to our 4 x BB raise, when infact its their inexperience that makes them call to the river and hit with their A High.

Anyway ADS you know you are a good player so just adjust your game and things will work out.

Sky want us to stay - Why - Because we spend money
    Sky dont deliberately give us bad beats - Why - Because they want us to stay and spend money
    Sky cannot deliberately give us bad beats - Why- Because it is regulated and it and it makes no difference if we win or somone else wins, they make the same amount of money.

Anyway sorry if I couldn't give you a short answer but thats poker!!!!! Good Luck.

Good Luck on the tables m8ty
  • edited April 2010
    you summed it up perfectly trev. i haven't been playing the deepstacks lately for that reason, instead been trying cash was getting fed up of the bad beats by the newbies in tournys where you cant rebuy. instead in cash can just reload and get it back and got to say i love newcomers in cash and been doing well for it. still dont  compare to tournaments though and will be trying my luck in the deepstacks again one night this weekend lol hope everyones luck improves soon.

Rob
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to I need to cool down for a few minutes... : Dear Mr. Ads As you know I am regular player on sky poker, and yes. I have suffered the same fate. It was only a short time ago I realised what it was. Unfortunately, There are a lot of newbies signing up for sky poker and i'm afraid until there poker improves this is bound to happen on a continuous basis. I regularly used to play in the 8.15 deepstack and most weeks the same players entered, these players were regulars and new the game and new me, I new how to play against them and they new how to play against me, however, week after week we continuously had new players entering the tourny until it became a bit of a luckfest. I dont like it but, you have got to adapt you game to take the newbie players into account. I started by sitting as tight as a ducks bum, in the same tournies I had regularly cashed in. I only played premium hands and most of the time I only played 1 premium hand an hour but raked in as much cash as possible in this hand and it saw me through to the last table. What I am basically saying is - Its not you that is playing any differently, it is not sky that is giving you bad beats - It is the amount of new players joining sky poker who will continuously call because of there inexperience and the fact that they are new to the game. You know if you raise 4 x BB most experienced players will fold because they know your game or because a 4 x BB usually means you have poket pairs, unfortunately, the amount of newbies that are joining will call you because of there inexperience, however, once they achieve the same ability as you they will then start to fold to your 4 x BB raise. My advice is - Sit Tight until you get to know the players on the table and then punish them for their inexperience. but don't forget, just like you and me, the more experienced they get the less likely they will be calling stations. I personally think it is quite sad to have as many bad beats as we do on sky poker, however, their are a vast amount of new players joining sky poker just like you and me did, but I firmly believe the bad beats are due to the inexperience of new players, we expect them to play methodical poker and fold to our 4 x BB raise, when infact its their inexperience that makes them call to the river and hit with their A High. Anyway ADS you know you are a good player so just adjust your game and things will work out. Sky want us to stay - Why - Because we spend money Sky dont deliberately give us bad beats - Why - Because they want us to stay and spend money Sky cannot deliberately give us bad beats -  Why - Because it is regulated and it and it makes no difference if we win or somone else wins, they make the same amount of money. Anyway sorry if I couldn't give you a short answer but thats poker!!!!! Good Luck. Good Luck on the tables m8ty
    Posted by POKERTREV
    This post is going to sound very snotty but I find the highlighted comments very disappointing.
    Although we all enjoy playing with our mates, Sky Poker is not a closed shop for a few friends to play each other. We were all new to poker once and we should welcome new players. Indeed, it would be a dull game if there were no "new blood" constantly arriving.
    I, for one, wholeheartedly welcome all new players to Sky Poker.
  • edited April 2010

Not sure how the deepstacks are luckfests with afew new players,you have plenty of time to work out their weaknesses and exploit them.
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: I need to cool down for a few minutes... : This post is going to sound very snotty but I find the highlighted comments very disappointing. Although we all enjoy playing with our mates, Sky Poker is not a closed shop for a few friends to play each other. We were all new to poker once and we should welcome new players. Indeed, it would be a dull game if there were no "new blood" constantly arriving. I, for one, wholeheartedly welcome all new players to Sky Poker.
    Posted by MereNovice
    This is my point exactly Mr Mere, I am trying to help a fellow player who seams a little down at the moment because of the bad beats he is getting and he is not the only one. We were all new players at some point and I am all for new players joining sky poker and have not suggested otherwise. however, I am trying to explain to this player, that you have to adapt your game to reduce the bad beats.

We all want new players joining the site why wouldn't we?, however because the site is now becoming very popular, a player needs to recognise that inexperienced players are going to continuously call your 4 x BB raise and pot bets to the river with their A high because they can't lay it down. When most experienced players would fold to this type of betting pattern. The sooner we can get a read on this type of player, the sooner we can take advantage of it and reduce our bad beats.

The comments you have highlighted from my post, takes them out of context a little given the fact that the post as a whole was trying to be helpful and not demeaning to sky in anyway.

Summary of my post.
    There are lots of new and inexperienced players playing on sky at the moment and a player needs to adapt his game to reduce his losses and bad beats. We will always suffer bad beats that is part of the game however adapting to your opponents and playing selective hands will minimise the risk.

A player of you caliber Mr Mere probably takes this for granted, however, other players need a little reminder when they are down on their luck and I hope my post was at least helpful in someway to them.

Ps. Now if you think you are going to luckbox your way to winning this weeks deepy like you did against Greggers Mr Mere, you is havin a laugh Innit!!! Lol. I have had a word with the poker gods.
  • edited April 2010
    Thanks for the clarification.

One of the greatest "charms" of poker is adapting to different styles of opponent.
    If we all played the same way it would be a very dull game indeed.

P.S. You may be right about the "luckboxing". I've had to return the "lever" to Tikay because the rental has run out.

Good luck to you.

• edited April 2010
    Thanks for the clarification. One of the greatest "charms" of poker is adapting to different styles of opponent. If we all played the same way it would be a very dull game indeed. P.S. You may be right about the "luckboxing". I've had to return the "lever" to Tikay because the rental has run out. Good luck to you.
    Posted by MereNovice
    Think I will have to have a word, I could do with hiring it for a week myself.

Good luck on the tables m8y - not like you need it lol.
  • edited April 2010
    tournies are too frustrating... play cash!!!!!
  • edited April 2010
    tournies are too frustrating... play cash!!!!!
    Posted by BlackFish3
    Have you started playing cash Mr. Blackfish? I thought you only played DYMs

What level cash are you playing? and what is standard of play like?
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: I need to cool down for a few minutes... : Have you started playing cash Mr. Blackfish? I thought you only played DYMs What level cash are you playing? and what is standard of play like?
    Posted by POKERTREV
    Yea i just play micro stakes cash now, i found like 8 months of just dyms got to me in the end, way too frustrating because if you are decent at them you are basically always bubbling or cashing, which means you are often shoving in the SB with any 2 and it became a bit boring and not fun when you just have to keep shoving praying you dont get called when its on the bubble with high blinds.

I have played 2p/4p and 4p/8p here on sky, standard is very low which is great but i really struggled to adjust to cash, in tournies (barring deepstacks) decisions are basically made for you because you will have a small stack to blind ratio and therefore stacking off with top pair top kicker is standard... at cash i was initially stacking off way too easily and just being a general donkazoid :(... played with a m8 a few times at the cash tables (obvs he was playing at different tables) who is better than me and that really helped to get my game together a bit better, if you ever want to improve and have a poker m8 who you can play sitting next to and he is better than you then that will probably help soooooo much, but atm im playing 5c/10c rush on 'Tilt which again the standard is very low so thats good, but im making a lil bit :)
  • edited April 2010
    I really want to start playing some more cash but I think I must be the worst cash player on here! I have donked off £500+ online/live in the past 2years! WELL Down on cash games!! Just can't adapt!?
  • edited April 2010
    Have you done any reading? Play the lowest of the low stakes then until you can win.
  • edited April 2010
    Did you find it hard to get used to rush poker blackfish? i gave it a go but just got battered lol 
  • edited April 2010
    Did you find it hard to get used to rush poker blackfish? i gave it a go but just got battered lol 
    Posted by robc

Rush isn't poker, nit fest. Just sit there paying rake.
  • edited April 2010
    Posted by robc
    hard to adjust to cash poker... rush seems the same at the micro stakes as normal poker. Not sure how it would be when playing against more competent players... basically stack the fish and avoid/make notes on the regs... should be able to exploit them.