You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

variance?

edited April 2010 in Poker Chat
hi hope you all can help me here im really struggling at the mo i cant win a scooby snack not alone a tourny so far have managed to lose my £100 br playing the 5% so u can see how bad this run has gone i put the cash on last night for the 8pm tourny i lasted 3 hands twice had full house only to be busted by 4 of a kind thought that was unreal to be busted twice like that when i thought i was so ahead ask boonicon he was the player that killed me big style so then i thought i would pay and enter the 8pm tourny tonight only to get busted on the nut flush with a killer full house on the river then when having 900 chips left getting k 10 i raise to 200 trying to steal the blinds get 2 callers flop comes k 10 9 i move all in get two instant calls one shows a set of 9s other guy shows j q how can i play against this people call it variance but how does it get worked out ???????
on shark scope im showing 71 on tornys but only 54 on sit and goes  such a massive differance is that normall?
please help me get over this as ive invested so much in skys bank i wouldnt mind taking some back lol

Comments

• edited April 2010
    hello mate,

i find that my sharkscope rating is also higher for mtts than sngs, but when i find variance is being unkind, i tend to play some dyms just to ride out the bad run.  this might not work for everyone but it works for me! might be worth giving it a go.  good luck!
  • edited April 2010
    i only play dym sit and goes thats how bad my run has been
  • edited April 2010
    Drop down the stakes sim!!! the money will hurt a lot less.
  • edited April 2010
    Variance is unimaginable. Just imagine getting kicked in the nuts constantly, that's bad variance.  Occasionally not getting kicked in the nuts is running good!!!

Remember if you are 80% to win preflop, and you win, you have run good. Lose with 20% and you are not surprised but your also technically running bad because you would expect 20% of the pot not zero.

Using a 5% bankroll management strategy has an inherent possibility of you going bust. That is what people would have been taking into account when they gave this basic figure.
  • edited April 2010
    Sky is fantasy poker for some. Any donk that calls me with junk draws the winning hand where I'm concerned. I've had weeks of it and it's not much fun, so either ride it out or go somewhere else or stop for a while. I lost with AKs vs A2os, QQ vs 94os and TT vs 22 twice, all in one mtt tonight. That's about the norm at the moment on here.

There are a lot of poor players who think they are God's gift to poker on Sky. The problem is they keep hitting those one and two outers, game after game after game. Not too damaging in a cash game but in a tournament it's deadly.
  • edited April 2010
    i play to the 5% rule so i should be playing the correct levels
  • edited April 2010
    this is what i mean on a bh just few secs ago
    erry1nick Small blind  15.00 15.00 1850.00
    Bza3swords Big blind  30.00 45.00 4585.00
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • A

magralad Raise  180.00 225.00 1745.00
    sim75 Raise  780.00 1005.00 3900.00
    dandare67 Fold     
    gingerlama Fold     
    ferry1nick Fold     
    Bza3swords Fold     
    magralad All-in  1745.00 2750.00 0.00
    sim75 Call  1145.00 3895.00 2755.00
    magralad Show
    • A

sim75 Show
    • A
    • A

Flop

• J
    • K
    • Q

Turn

River

magralad Win Straight to the Ace 3895.00  3895.00
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: variance?:
    i play to the 5% rule so i should be playing the correct levels
    Posted by sim75

what is the 5% rule? Why is it applicable to you in the games you play?
  • edited April 2010
    you would never go bust if you only put 5% of your roll on!!

even if you were down to £1.. 5% = 5p

so on and so on
  • edited April 2010
    Sky is fantasy poker for some. Any donk that calls me with junk draws the winning hand where I'm concerned. I've had weeks of it and it's not much fun, so either ride it out or go somewhere else or stop for a while. I lost with AKs vs A2os, QQ vs 94os and TT vs 22 twice, all in one mtt tonight. That's about the norm at the moment on here. There are a lot of poor players who think they are God's gift to poker on Sky. The problem is they keep hitting those one and two outers, game after game after game. Not too damaging in a cash game but in a tournament it's deadly.
    Posted by elsadog
    and also ran really deep in the freeroll tonight...
  • edited April 2010
    you would never go bust if you only put 5% of your roll on!! even if you were down to £1.. 5% = 5p so on and so on
    Posted by daz231023

So long as there were limits low enough to accommodate you.

I was merely getting at the fact that the initial 5% number was come to because the idea of losing all 20 of your 'buyins' if you are playing well is mathematically 'unlikely', however 1 outers are 'unlikely' and they do happen, so if that happens a few times you can easily do in a 20 buyin roll if you are not also continually moving down as the roll changes size.
  • edited April 2010
    Bankroll rules are different from cash to sit and gos/tournaments. Looks like your playing tournaments so 5% rule doesnt work. Variance is much bigger in tournaments/sngs so you should adjust your games accordingly. A 1% or 0.5% rule is better for them
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to variance?:
    hi hope you all can help me here im really struggling at the mo i cant win a scooby snack not alone a tourny so far have managed to lose my £100 br playing the 5% so u can see how bad this run has gone i put the cash on last night for the 8pm tourny i lasted 3 hands twice had full house only to be busted by 4 of a kind thought that was unreal to be busted twice like that when i thought i was so ahead ask boonicon he was the player that killed me big style so then i thought i would pay and enter the 8pm tourny tonight only to get busted on the nut flush with a killer full house on the river then when having 900 chips left getting k 10 i raise to 200 trying to steal the blinds get 2 callers flop comes k 10 9 i move all in get two instant calls one shows a set of 9s other guy shows j q how can i play against this people call it variance but how does it get worked out ??????? on shark scope im showing 71 on tornys but only 54 on sit and goes  such a massive differance is that normall? please help me get over this as ive invested so much in skys bank i wouldnt mind taking some back lol
    Posted by sim75
    ...Join the club....
  • edited April 2010
    lol dohh had boonicon been smashing you as well im still reeling from that hand i posted earlier as this hand is the prime example as to whats going on i know most of you will say well 99 times out of 100 i win well this hand has been my poker hell for about 2 weeks now im seriously discussing leaving and going to another site my bf played on here for a week he plays party poker mostly and does very well on there i talked him into playing on here after losing over 400 in 1 week he swears blinde this site is the worst for beats and losing streaks ive told him i will carry on here as the peeps on the forum are the best but gotta agree at the mo i just expect to lose every hand that i play
  • edited April 2010
    lol dohh had boonicon been smashing you as well im still reeling from that hand i posted earlier as this hand is the prime example as to whats going on i know most of you will say well 99 times out of 100 i win well this hand has been my poker hell for about 2 weeks now im seriously discussing leaving and going to another site my bf played on here for a week he plays party poker mostly and does very well on there i talked him into playing on here after losing over 400 in 1 week he swears blinde this site is the worst for beats and losing streaks ive told him i will carry on here as the peeps on the forum are the best but gotta agree at the mo i just expect to lose every hand that i play
    Posted by sim75

You're not meant to win every time your all in, Aces don't always hold and nor will your hand. Tis all part of the complex tapestry that is pokerz.
  • edited April 2010
    ok i understand about not winning all the time but would like to hold on when in front like this
    MADPATDOTC Small blind  10.00 10.00 1710.00
    sim75 Big blind  20.00 30.00 1850.00
      Your hole cards
    • A

goldie01 Call  20.00 50.00 2680.00
    GELDY Fold     
    1ufc4eva Fold     
    Fza Fold     
    MADPATDOTC Fold     
    sim75 Raise  60.00 110.00 1790.00
    goldie01 Call  60.00 170.00 2620.00
    Flop

• A

sim75 Bet  170.00 340.00 1620.00
    goldie01 Raise  340.00 680.00 2280.00
    sim75 All-in  1620.00 2300.00 0.00
    goldie01 All-in  2280.00 4580.00 0.00
    goldie01 Unmatched bet  830.00 3750.00 830.00
    sim75 Show
    • A

goldie01 Show
    • A

Turn

• Q

River

• Q

goldie01 Win Two Pairs, Aces and Queens 1875.00  2705.00
    sim75 Win Two Pairs, Aces and Queens 1875.00  1875.00
  • edited April 2010
    Hi sim

I have been like that for the last 4-5 weeks, Im getting close to taking a break again which is what is would suggest you do too :)
  • edited April 2010
    Hi sim I have been like that for the last 4-5 weeks, Im getting close to taking a break again which is what is would suggest you do too :)
    Posted by acebarry10

Meh 2pr vs 2pr, neither of you is folding, you didn't lose! 

Why did you raise pre flop though as you're going to be out of position with a small ace? 
  • edited April 2010
    Sky is fantasy poker for some. Any donk that calls me with junk draws the winning hand where I'm concerned. I've had weeks of it and it's not much fun, so either ride it out or go somewhere else or stop for a while. I lost with AKs vs A2os, QQ vs 94os and TT vs 22 twice, all in one mtt tonight. That's about the norm at the moment on here. There are a lot of poor players who think they are God's gift to poker on Sky. The problem is they keep hitting those one and two outers, game after game after game. Not too damaging in a cash game but in a tournament it's deadly.
    Posted by elsadog

Er, sure.
    So what would you consider calling a pf 4bb raise with 89 and cracking QQ with two pairs?
    "Variance" or "luck" as it is more accurately termed works both ways.
  • edited April 2010
    yeh elsadog!--you, you raise calling errmmm ermm ermmm caller of raises you!!!
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: variance? : and also ran really deep in the freeroll tonight...
    Posted by BlackFish3
    I expect to run deep in them all :o)
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: variance? : Er, sure. So what would you consider calling a pf 4bb raise with 89 and cracking QQ with two pairs? "Variance" or "luck" as it is more accurately termed works both ways.
    Posted by MereNovice
    If you can't beat 'em join 'em.
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: variance? : If you can't beat 'em join 'em.
    Posted by elsadog

:-)))