You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bad beat in my eyes but did I go wrong somewhere?

edited July 2009 in Poker Chat
Hello all,

Quick background: I consider myself a half decent player and was highly profitable until February when nothing seemed to go right (my AA losing to KK etc. etc.) and as a result I bearly play anymore.

However, I decided to play earlier today for a bit of fun and lost my stack on the following scenario:

6 handed table.
My stack £18 approx
Blinds 15/30p

I'm first to act and hold KK.

I raise to 90p not wanting to scare the field away. This type of raise over the previous 30 mins generally got approx one caller.

I wasn't happy when 4 others called and we were 5 to the flop.

Flop: 8c Kd 4c

Not liking the amount of players involved I obviously loved this flop.

There's about £4.20 in the pot from memory and first to act I bet 1.80. There is one caller in second position.

Turn: 7h

I'm now thinking they may be on a flush draw so I bet the pot, approx 7 quid. They call.

River: 10d

I push all in, they call and uncover 9c 6c for a straight!

I'd like to learn a lesson from this one if possible and your thoughts would be appreciated on whether I could have played it differently, better, or if I couldn't have done anything about it and it's just one of those things.
Also, how do you think they played it?

Comments

• edited July 2009
    With that many callers you need to bet stronger on the flop - more like pot size than 1/3 pot size.
  • edited July 2009
    Oh and its a terrible, horrible, stupid call by the other guy regardless and with play like that a bigger bet may not even have got him off but, for future reference, I would definately bet more!
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: Bad beat in my eyes but did I go wrong somewhere?:
    With that many callers you need to bet stronger on the flop - more like pot size than 1/3 pot size.
    Posted by dowzer

I see what you're saying but having hit the flop so well would you really make a pot size bet and risk scaring everyone off? These opportunities don't come around that often... Is this a flaw in my game?

I did bet the pot on the turn so did they really have the odds to call? 15 outs for them with the river to come...
  • edited July 2009
    Oh and its a terrible, horrible, stupid call by the other guy regardless and with play like that a bigger bet may not even have got him off but, for future reference, I would definately bet more!
    Posted by dowzer

Yeah, I get the feeling they would have probably called a larger bet and chased the flush...
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Bad beat in my eyes but did I go wrong somewhere?:
    Hello all, Quick background: I consider myself a half decent player and was highly profitable until February when nothing seemed to go right (my AA losing to KK etc. etc.) and as a result I bearly play anymore. However, I decided to play earlier today for a bit of fun and lost my stack on the following scenario: 6 handed table. My stack £18 approx Blinds 15/30p I'm first to act and hold KK. I raise to 90p not wanting to scare the field away. This type of raise over the previous 30 mins generally got approx one caller. I wasn't happy when 4 others called and we were 5 to the flop. Flop: 8c Kd 4c Not liking the amount of players involved I obviously loved this flop. There's about £4.20 in the pot from memory and first to act I bet 1.80. There is one caller in second position. Turn: 7h I'm now thinking they may be on a flush draw so I bet the pot, approx 7 quid. They call. River: 10d I push all in, they call and uncover 9c 6c for a straight! I'd like to learn a lesson from this one if possible and your thoughts would be appreciated on whether I could have played it differently, better, or if I couldn't have done anything about it and it's just one of those things. Also, how do you think they played it?
    Posted by B5ECH

How about playing KK in first position?

3BB raise sufficient? Limp and hope for a raiser to reraise?
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: Bad beat in my eyes but did I go wrong somewhere? : I see what you're saying but having hit the flop so well would you really make a pot size bet and risk scaring everyone off? These opportunities don't come around that often... Is this a flaw in my game? I did bet the pot on the turn so did they really have the odds to call? 15 outs for them with the river to come...
    Posted by B5ECH
    Therein lies the quandry in poker - is it better to take lots of smallish pots or win a few big ones while losing the others. Which is more profitable and, just as importantly, more enjoyable in "poker" terms?

I cant answer it for you cos I dont know the answer in my own game :)
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Bad beat in my eyes but did I go wrong somewhere? : How about playing KK in first position? 3BB raise sufficient? Limp and hope for a raiser to reraise?
    Posted by B5ECH
    Depends if you can get off it if an Ace comes on the flop - if you make it a small raise the rag aces will come along and then if an Ace hits can you lay it down??
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: Bad beat in my eyes but did I go wrong somewhere? : Depends if you can get off it if an Ace comes on the flop - if you make it a small raise the rag aces will come along and then if an Ace hits can you lay it down??
    Posted by dowzer

With 4 callers yes, I can lay it down. Even with 2 callers I would. One caller maybe not...depends on the heat coming back.
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: Bad beat in my eyes but did I go wrong somewhere? : I see what you're saying but having hit the flop so well would you really make a pot size bet and risk scaring everyone off? These opportunities don't come around that often... Is this a flaw in my game? I did bet the pot on the turn so did they really have the odds to call? 15 outs for them with the river to come...
    Posted by B5ECH
    Hi
    You did price him in on the flop to chase the flush, but on the turn he might have thought, we'll ive got enough outs to have a go, i dont know.
    Sometimes we all get a little greedy and think "i want all his money".
    Short of making the preflop raise big enough to price them out, i dont think you did much wrong.
    col
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: Bad beat in my eyes but did I go wrong somewhere? : Hi You did price him in on the flop to chase the flush, but on the turn he might have thought, we'll ive got enough outs to have a go, i dont know. Sometimes we all get a little greedy and think "i want all his money". Short of making the preflop raise big enough to price them out, i dont think you did much wrong. col
    Posted by mr_mbro

Maybe a 3/4 pot bet on the flop would have been the happy medium?

I still think they would have chased their flush.

Appreciate your thoughts.
  • edited July 2009
    i feel your pain m8 i see it all the time and found that online its just not worth slow playing and you should always put in a large bet and if a bad player calls it there is nothing you can do. but on the other foot if you do get someone chasing you can make a lot from it. At the end of the day there is nothing you could of done that would put them off was a stupid call by the other player and just unlucky on your part. It happens to the best of it but just remember you got your money in when you were ahead. and that player probably dosnt make much money overall. dont give up just remember the hand and adjust your play when needed.
  • edited July 2009
    ok m8..personally on cash what ever levels you may get 0ne two three or more loose callers,, id of bet 1.80 pre tbh but that dosnt always get rid of the chancers other than that you played it well,,your time will come m8 b positve..read my blog on monday that will cheer u up
  • edited July 2009
    Bigger flop bet, then when you bet pot on turn the bet will be bigger and less likely for him to call.

However pretty much a cooler if you ask me. He has massive draw by turn and is unlikely to go anywhere,