You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What have they got?

It's a live cash game - No Limit Hold'em - £1/£2 blinds.

At the start of the hand, all the players involved in the action have about £200 in front of them.

We're in the big blind.

Action is folded round to the button (young, aggressive) who opens with a raise to £10.

Small blind (old timer, bit of a rock) thinks for 30 seconds and then calls.

We have QQ in the big blind - and pump it up to £50.

Button thinks...and calls.

Small blind goes into the tank for what seems like an eternity - and eventually calls.

Flop = AQJ rainbow.

Small blind immediately moves all-in for £150.

What hand do you put him on?  What's the button got?  Do you call?

Comments

• edited July 2009
    Cant see anyone being on K10 with those kinds of calls and I wouldn't put the SB on aces as I think he would slow play them on that flop hoping for someone else to bet into him - also I dont think the button has aces either as he would probably have jammed on your reraise preflop to either take it down there or at least get rid of the small blind.

I reckon they are on maybe big aces like A10 so have top pair with a draw or maybe something like QJ?

I would call everytime.
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to What have they got?:
    It's a live cash game - No Limit Hold'em - £1/£2 blinds. At the start of the hand, all the players involved in the action have about £200 in front of them. We're in the big blind. Action is folded round to the button (young, aggressive) who opens with a raise to £10. Small blind (old timer, bit of a rock) thinks for 30 seconds and then calls. We have QQ in the big blind - and pump it up to £50. Button thinks...and calls. Small blind goes into the tank for what seems like an eternity - and eventually calls. Flop = AQJ rainbow. Small blind immediately moves all-in for £150. What hand do you put him on?  What's the button got?  Do you call?
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    Hi James,
    the button could have a wide range, so he could have called with anything from J10 onwards, but the sb ,being a rock, i would put on a tighter range, AK(NOT SURE),1010,JJ KK AA. I think for a rock K10 would be out of character, but by the immediate push, i'd put him on either trip jacks, trip aces or the made straight.
    If this was you James then i think your good enough to fold that hand, but many would say call.
    Ok, time to get off the fence, I'll say that i would call as i am discounting aces(to much deliberating on the original call), so i'm putting him on JJ or KK.
    So now you'll tell me he did have AA or that you called and the button had K10. AND YOU LOST THE HAND.

What was the result then James?

col
  • edited July 2009

Well, it wasn't me, but a close friend - and his reading of the situation was exactly the same as mine.

First of all, we're not that worried about the button.  He's going to raise in that spot with any two and, once he's got chips in the pot, is the kind of player who'll call our re-raise to "protect his children out there..."  Yes, there's a VERY small chance he's got K10.

So, the small blind...

The chance of him having K10 is less than 0.01%

Would he have played AA like that?  Probably not.  We'd expect him to re-raise the button's pre-flop bet, or shove following our re-raise.

Col - I think you're onto something with JJ.  Especially, when you consider his reluctance to call pre-flop.  I don't think he's got KK, because of his pre-flop passivity.  And would you shove with KK on that board against two raisers?

So, having convinced ourselves we're up against JJ, we call...

• edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: What have they got?:
    Well, it wasn't me, but a close friend - and his reading of the situation was exactly the same as mine. First of all, we're not that worried about the button.  He's going to raise in that spot with any two and, once he's got chips in the pot, is the kind of player who'll call our re-raise to "protect his children out there..."  Yes, there's a VERY small chance he's got K10. So, the small blind... The chance of him having K10 is less than 0.01% Would he have played AA like that?  Probably not.  We'd expect him to re-raise the button's pre-flop bet, or shove following our re-raise. Col - I think you're onto something with JJ.  Especially, when you consider his reluctance to call pre-flop.  I don't think he's got KK, because of his pre-flop passivity.  And would you shove with KK on that board against two raisers? So, having convinced ourselves we're up against JJ, we call...
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    Hmmmmm but would you move the rest of your cash in when you are first to act and have hit your set? Basically he called reluctantly with JJ preflop and then it comes his dream flop so wouldnt he wait for someone to bet and then reraise or shove esp with an A high board and two other players meaning one is very likely to have an Ace?

I dont think he is on JJ as its too big a flop for him to shove first on - I still reckon he has hit a pair on the flop with a draw and is betting to represent something bigger than he has.......
  • edited July 2009
    Not sure he's a player who would "represent" in this situation, dowzer.

Remember - he's a rock.  In fact, from my friend's description, it sounds like he was mainly at the table for the free food and drink :-)

Assuming he's hit bottom set, I can see him moving all-in on that board to win the £150 in the middle.

Anyway, if you're right, and he is weaker than JJ - all the more reason for us to call...
  • edited July 2009

So...

The button folds - showing KK!

After the inconsequential turn and river cards are dealt, we display our trip queens.

And the small blind...

• edited July 2009
    SLOWROLLS AA!!!

No-one at the table put him on that hand.

So, lesson of the day: never underestimate old rocks.

(And it's also worth noting that aggro players do occasionally get premium hands on the button.)
  • edited July 2009
    The Moral of this story is ----   "Not all trappers wear furry hats"  

You said,  " he was a rock " Well played sir, but i would have done my cahoot's in that pot with QQQ, already in for 52 quid, i cant pass that hand, if i was in to hit a Q and it came ....so it's a gamble you take,  if he has AAA well that's one of those hands you just have to wipe your mouth and  say, "nice hand   well played sir"

benny
  • edited July 2009
    The odds of getting pocket AA, KK and QQ on the same table? Anyone?

I would have blown all my money thats for sure - there are some hands you just cant fold and, to me, thats one of them.

As a side question, assuming you are the SB and you have hit as big as he has, do you move all in or would you slow play them and wait for someone else to make a move? In this specific instance its almost irrelevant as he got paid anyway but longer term I would have thought slow playing would be more profitable as really only QQ and JJ can call him on that board?
  • edited July 2009
    The odds of getting pocket AA, KK and QQ on the same table? Anyone?
    Posted by dowzer
    I don't know about the odds but some time ago I was playing a SnG and 4 of us ended up AI pre. I had AA, the others had KK, QQ & JJ! Crazy hand
  • edited July 2009
    The odds of getting pocket AA, KK and QQ on the same table? Anyone? I would have blown all my money thats for sure - there are some hands you just cant fold and, to me, thats one of them. As a side question, assuming you are the SB and you have hit as big as he has, do you move all in or would you slow play them and wait for someone else to make a move? In this specific instance its almost irrelevant as he got paid anyway but longer term I would have thought slow playing would be more profitable as really only QQ and JJ can call him on that board?
    Posted by dowzer
    The shove is perfect.

The strength of his hand is disguised, plus if it somehow checks round and a K or a T peel off on the turn then he is in no mans land.

Reading the original post I had put the SB on JJ.

I'm not sure I like his flat call pre-flop tbh although it paid off this time.

By the time the action had got back round to him there was £100 in the pot and it's plainly obvious that that his opponents have big hands and to take aces to the flop 3 ways is very risky. I'd have jammed pre-flop, it worked for him this time but I'm not sure it was the best play.
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: What have they got? : The shove is perfect. The strength of his hand is disguised, plus if it somehow checks round and a K or a T peel off on the turn then he is in no mans land. Reading the original post I had put the SB on JJ. I'm not sure I like his flat call pre-flop tbh although it paid off this time. By the time the action had got back round to him there was £100 in the pot and it's plainly obvious that that his opponents have big hands and to take aces to the flop 3 ways is very risky. I'd have jammed pre-flop, it worked for him this time but I'm not sure it was the best play.
    Posted by CLIOKID
    I don't doubt the validity nor the logic of the shove but, longer term, I'm wondering if a check would be more profitable?

I don't play cash and even if I did it wouldn't be at these levels so I'm fishing a little but, in my mind, very few hands can call that shove unless they are complete monsters in themselves meaning he won't have maximised the potential of a situation which doesn't occur all that often.
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: What have they got? : I don't doubt the validity nor the logic of the shove but, longer term, I'm wondering if a check would be more profitable? I don't play cash and even if I did it wouldn't be at these levels so I'm fishing a little but, in my mind, very few hands can call that shove unless they are complete monsters in themselves meaning he won't have maximised the potential of a situation which doesn't occur all that often.
    Posted by dowzer
    This is all entirely correct imo, the shove is incredibly fishy, screams of someone whos scared to play a big pot postflop so just shoves allin so he doesnt have to worry about any other decisions rather than thinking about the optimal way to play the hand.
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to What have they got?:
    It's a live cash game - No Limit Hold'em - £1/£2 blinds. At the start of the hand, all the players involved in the action have about £200 in front of them. We're in the big blind. Action is folded round to the button (young, aggressive) who opens with a raise to £10. Small blind (old timer, bit of a rock) thinks for 30 seconds and then calls. We have QQ in the big blind - and pump it up to £50. Button thinks...and calls. Small blind goes into the tank for what seems like an eternity - and eventually calls. Flop = AQJ rainbow. Small blind immediately moves all-in for £150. What hand do you put him on?  What's the button got?  Do you call?
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    I'd be putting the button on an ace rag,,  S.B on JJ.  reason for this is because if he's a rock he wouldnt of called the £50 with K,10 as he would know Q,K, A,K  is beating it..  AA is a possibility , tho the button raised indicating an ace rag and the odd of another player on a 6handed / 10handed would be too high for that to be possible..

I'm calling in this spot,  with what i think to be the best hand.. ..

Lee ,,
      ;)