You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

one 2 ponder....or 3....

edited April 2010 in Poker Chat

Do u ever end a session, without losing a big pot?

If u plan to play for another hour, but lose a big pot after 30 mins, do u call it a night?

If u plan to play for 20 minutes, and u win 3 buy ins in 15 minutes, do u call it a night?

WHEN DO YOU CALL IT A NIGHT?

DOHH

EDIT - If you could calculate your profit/loss in the last 20 minutes of ur sessions over the last 3 years, what dya reckon the figure would be, not specific, but in relation to your overall profit/loss

Comments

• edited April 2010
    1.  No, or not usually anyway.  I seem to stack off somewhere or other in the first 15 mins.

2.  No, Depending on what time it is, I will usually try to chase it back, but pretty sure that is a bad idea.

3.  I wouldnt plan to play for 20 mins but if I did, I would quite happily leave after 15 with 3 x buyins.

4.  Not sure mate, could go either way
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: one 2 ponder....or 3....:
    1.  No, or not usually anyway.  I seem to stack off somewhere or other in the first 15 mins. 2.  No, Depending on what time it is, I will usually try to chase it back, but pretty sure that is a bad idea. 3.  I wouldnt plan to play for 20 mins but if I did, I would quite happily leave after 15 with 3 x buyins. 4.  Not sure mate, could go either way
    Posted by OMahonyO
    Are you me in disguise?????

x

• edited April 2010
    I used to have a problem with this and would do really well getting up to 5x or more but then eventualy if you stay in to long you lose to a monter or the usual runner runner and lose a big chunk you then get anoyed try and win it back and all the hard work over the past 4 hrs has gone to waste. Never stay too long if your up cos it wont last.

3 to 4 x buy in profit with the backup of 2 buy ins to either get me even or up if i lose to an all in. If it all goes badly and i lose the 2 buy ins then i call it a night. otherwise keep playing if im chip stack leader and easy min buy ins i can take down. When i hit my target i take a sharpe exit and play on another table or change to sitngo for a change of senery.
  • edited April 2010
    I never stay around to chase it and win it back - I always leave when I make the first ridiculous mistake which costs a buy in. 

But how do you learn to quid before this happens, I need to learn how to see it coming.

• edited April 2010
    if i lose a big pot on a table i stand and leave, i dunno its wierd but if i do lose a big pot nothing usually goes right for me on that table, whereas if i win a nice pot everything goes for me and i can usually turn 50 into 150+ then i hit a roof and cant win any more so leave. 
  • edited April 2010
    If I have a very bad first 5 mins to a session I will leave all my tables.

• edited April 2010
    In Response to one 2 ponder....or 3....:
    Do u ever end a session, without losing a big pot? If u plan to play for another hour, but lose a big pot after 30 mins, do u call it a night? If u plan to play for 20 minutes, and u win 3 buy ins in 15 minutes, do u call it a night? WHEN DO YOU CALL IT A NIGHT? DOHH EDIT - If you could calculate your profit/loss in the last 20 minutes of ur sessions over the last 3 years, what dya reckon the figure would be, not specific, but in relation to your overall profit/loss
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Depends on how it went.  If it was my fault I will have a think about if it could of been avoided.  If it could then I avoid it, if not then I stay knowing longterm I will win it back.

I call it a night when it just feels right, sometimes I take the laptop to bed and I let my partner fall asleep watching me, other nights I stop when I get tired. 

I usually do ok in the nightshift, others make more mistakes whick I can capitalise on.

I rarely leave a table when I bust becuase I know I can win it back by staying.

And just to add, I never take any notice of my winnings/losses over a day.  I always track them but know ultimetly it is a long term game.
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to one 2 ponder....or 3....:
    Do u ever end a session, without losing a big pot? If u plan to play for another hour, but lose a big pot after 30 mins, do u call it a night? If u plan to play for 20 minutes, and u win 3 buy ins in 15 minutes, do u call it a night? WHEN DO YOU CALL IT A NIGHT? DOHH EDIT - If you could calculate your profit/loss in the last 20 minutes of ur sessions over the last 3 years, what dya reckon the figure would be, not specific, but in relation to your overall profit/loss
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I usually lose my big pot at the beginning of a session and then claw it back

If I lose a big pot early I usually see if I can claw it back, however, if the table is playing a bit tight, I usually move on and find an easier table.

If I win 3 buy ins it usually makes it easier to play the table, but can sometimes make me play a little loose.

I usually play 2 cash tables at a time, so I don't mind calling it a night if i'm down on one table but up on another.

I dont play large stakes, so either way my losses in cash games are minimal, I will happily quit a table if I am down cause it usually means I am playing badly lol. Theres always another night or another table.

Last parts a bit difficult, but on cash tables I would probably say I am breaking even, nearly all of my losses have come from playing MTT games in which case I am about £1600 down over the last 18months.
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: one 2 ponder....or 3....:
    In Response to one 2 ponder....or 3.... : Depends on how it went.  If it was my fault I will have a think about if it could of been avoided.  If it could then I avoid it, if not then I stay knowing longterm I will win it back. I call it a night when it just feels right, sometimes I take the laptop to bed and I let my partner fall asleep watching me, other nights I stop when I get tired.  I usually do ok in the nightshift, others make more mistakes whick I can capitalise on. I rarely leave a table when I bust becuase I know I can win it back by staying. And just to add, I never take any notice of my winnings/losses over a day.  I always track them but know ultimetly it is a long term game.
    Posted by MrWh1te
    you stud you
  • edited April 2010