You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

An amazing HU match

edited April 2010 in Poker Chat
Wow that has to be the greatest heads up match ever between flashflush and mckean, did anyone else see it? I thought flashflush was a lil to aggresive tho ;)
haha wp charles and ul to mckean

Comments

• edited April 2010
    Throws up the age old question.
    Do you try and let them come back, or wade in and steal the blinds and the tournament?
    Personally, I try and give them every chance to return - at least 5 mins. I play slowly and hope for a decent game.
    In the end, you have to just steal to finish the game.
    Real shame, especially when it is the chip leader that disconnects.
  • edited April 2010
    HaHa

Definatly not the way I wanted to win that!! For those that didn't see it we got to the final 3 of the main event the guy started going all in every hand, then it hit 12pm and he suddenly disconnected.... I managed to take out the other player leaving us HU... for the 1st 6 or 7 blinds or so i let the timer run down b4 taking the blinds to give time to reconnect but no sign of it. So after abou 10 people on the rail telling me to stop messing around and just take the blinds I did....

Not the way I wanted to win like I said, but would you all of done the same? I'm sure he wasn't coming back and couldn't sit there for ever
  • edited April 2010
    yeh i no if it was me tho id probs just keep stealing the blinds and im skint so could do with the money. I would hate to lose connection at that time i think my laptop would be out the window if i did.
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: An amazing HU match:
    HaHa Definatly not the way I wanted to win that!! For those that didn't see it we got to the final 3 of the main event the guy started going all in every hand, then it hit 12pm and he suddenly disconnected.... I managed to take out the other player leaving us HU... for the 1st 6 or 7 blinds or so i let the timer run down b4 taking the blinds to give time to reconnect but no sign of it. So after abou 10 people on the rail telling me to stop messing around and just take the blinds I did.... Not the way I wanted to win like I said, but would you all of done the same? I'm sure he wasn't coming back and couldn't sit there for ever
    Posted by FlashFlush
    it was immense :)
  • edited April 2010
    You cant wait  for ever! Its not going to make great telly though! LOL but not for the other guy! Well done for winning.  In Response to Re: An amazing HU match:
    HaHa Definatly not the way I wanted to win that!! For those that didn't see it we got to the final 3 of the main event the guy started going all in every hand, then it hit 12pm and he suddenly disconnected.... I managed to take out the other player leaving us HU... for the 1st 6 or 7 blinds or so i let the timer run down b4 taking the blinds to give time to reconnect but no sign of it. So after abou 10 people on the rail telling me to stop messing around and just take the blinds I did.... Not the way I wanted to win like I said, but would you all of done the same? I'm sure he wasn't coming back and couldn't sit there for ever
    Posted by FlashFlush
  • edited April 2010
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Hi Charles,

Having been on the wrong end of this more than once, i know how bad it feels to lose an mtt having disconnected HU, I have also disconnected HU in this situation and the opponant waited for me, and this was a really gentlemanly thing to do!

So personally, i will ALWAYS wait at the very least for five minutes for them to try to reconnect like Eyeman said...

In this instance i agree that the rail (apart from me) encouraged you to steal the blinds and i find this  very dissapointing!

Well done on your win, and no hard feelings

hoggers
  • edited April 2010
    He had 2/3mins of you letting your timer run down plus it took another 2/3 mins for him to blind out.

And he was disconnecting when it was 3 handed too.

He had enough opportunity to at least say something in the chat box, as I think he disconnected/reconnected a couple of times.
  • edited April 2010
    Message for Tikay relating to this tourney.

Could you check a PM I just sent you please, I know you dont check them that often and this is quite important :-)

Cheers
  • edited April 2010

I dont care what the circumstances, I play poker to win money first, have fun 2nd, and if you earn a reputation for being a good sport and playing fair, thats fine too - I'd sacrifice the fun and the "respect" of others to win alot more money thats for sure. 

The difference between 1st and 2nd was alot, esp with the heads situation in a bounty hunter. I cant help feeling the dwell up letting the timer go down before stealing, was just to save face, with alot of people watching. Any other tournament you would be raising within .0001 of a second - and quite rightly so.

Shouldn't take anything away from a great performance and result, watched the final table and always had u as fave barring a bad beat. 

Pleased for ya m8 - dnt lose any sleep over the heads up.

GL Next Thurs, DOHH

• edited April 2010
    I dont care what the circumstances, I play poker to win money first, have fun 2nd, and if you earn a reputation for being a good sport and playing fair, thats fine too - I'd sacrifice the fun and the "respect" of others to win alot more money thats for sure.  The difference between 1st and 2nd was alot, esp with the heads situation in a bounty hunter. I cant help feeling the dwell up letting the timer go down before stealing, was just to save face, with alot of people watching. Any other tournament you would be raising within .0001 of a second - and quite rightly so. Shouldn't take anything away from a great performance and result, watched the final table and always had u as fave barring a bad beat.  Pleased for ya m8 - dnt lose any sleep over the heads up. GL Next Thurs, DOHH
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    +1... it's money
  • edited April 2010
    I wasn't railing, but +1 for stealing.

A key part of online poker is maintaining a good connection, it's part of the game, if you can't stay connected you're going to lose, it's as simple as that. Your opponent would undoubtedly have taken your blinds if you were the unfortunate one to be disconnected.

I've won and lost due to connection issues, it's not how anybody likes to win a game, but poker is a dog-eat-dog situation, there's no room for charity or mercy, you are there to win.
  • edited April 2010
    Posted by FlashFlush
    This is the act of sportsmanship and doesnt need to be elaborated further. Whenever we enter a tourney we want to come 1st.  If flash has gone through so many runners to get to the HU stage and then is sporting enough to give the opponent ample time to reconnect, what is the problem? The cash difference is hefty between 1st and 2nd and flash deserved the win.
  • edited April 2010
    But it isnt about sport for some people.  I dont care about winning and I dont care about being good, or even seen as being good.

All I care about is maximising my winnings and if that means raising someone out of the game who hasnt got a good connection, I would do it every single time.
  • edited April 2010

100% i steal the blinds, you play poker to win money. Its unlucky for your oppenent to dissconnect but anyone with half a brain steals the blinds n1 flash

• edited April 2010
    Posted by FlashFlush
  • edited April 2010
    I was railing last night and i don't think u had triple flash's chip stack. Given the situation I can't see many people who play tourny's of this type would have been folding their sb to keep you in the game. The question is would there be so much fuss if this had been a £2 BH? Principle would be the same and I for one would take the extra £700 over the moral high ground every day and I think if people are totally honest about it they would do the same, whatever they may post. (One or two exceptions admittedly (Greg))
  • edited April 2010
    Message for Tikay relating to this tourney. Could you check a PM I just sent you please, I know you dont check them that often and this is quite important :-) Cheers
    Posted by FlashFlush
    I have replied, Charles.

I check them every day, several times, in case urgent stuff is in there. I'm just a bit behind this week, due to some outside pressures, but yours has jumped to the top of the queue.

Delighted for you last night, very well done, & unlucky to McKeano, who appeared to get disco'd right at the sharp end. A little unfortunate, but them's the breaks.
  • edited April 2010
    There were only a couple of blinds inbetween the stacks.

IIRC correctly when you disconnected you had 210k and Flash has 170k.
  • edited April 2010

I think Flashflush did nothing wrong as both your stacks were so small compared with the blinds, if you had 30bb left there could be a arguement to fold for 10 minutes.

Well done to sky though for introducing a good blind structure which should hopefully lead to more very good players winning the main events..well done Flash.
  • edited April 2010
    I used to think about waiting and giving players the oppertunity to re connect, but having had it done to me loadsa times, i now do it to them, sportsmanship? maybe not, but not cheating and its swings and roundabouts, and if it happens against me? yes i accept its part of the online game.
  • edited April 2010
    Well done Flash, wtg m8
  • edited April 2010
    If you are playing poker purely for the money, then you are probably playing the wrong game - IMHO, of course.
    I would say Flash got it about right - let the timer go down a few times. Give the other side a chance to reconnect. Once they fail to make it, you've got to end the game and forget about it.
  • edited April 2010
    Letting the timer go down, then stealing the blinds, was absolutely pointless.

You're either gonna wait for the guy, or not.

If you're gonna wait, sit out, if not, get on with the job.

I had a similar situation in the Total Player final 6 sit and go, where the other 5 guys were away for half an hour.

Absolutely no point in stealing in that case, as it doesn't prove anything, but if I got big money, in my account, for winning it, I wouldn't hesitate.

This nonsense about timing down, then stealing, is hypocritical, and contradictory, like mugging an old woman, getting her purse, then helping her back to her feet.

Theres no doubt in my mind that if there wasn't anyone watching the final table, there wud be no timing down at all!!! - RIGHTLY SO !! :)
  • edited April 2010
    You let the timer run down to give the opponant time tom reconnect. Whether you also steal the blinds anyway, or not, is a moot point. In general in this situation (and I have done this). I will fold if I have rubbish, and take when I have a hand (and show for what it's worth).
    After 5 mins, it's steal all the way.