You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

A big thank you...

edited April 2010 in Poker Chat
To the presenters on 865, in particular Tikay- your analyses of hands are, almost always, spot on and I feel I've learnt and grown as a poker player massively over the last week or two just by watching you dissecting the hands, whether the play was good or bad, and how you'd have played the hands in that situation.

I used to play poker a few years back on other sites, and although I felt I was a good player, I never really got *that* deep into tourneys- in a 500 runner, I would often make the last 200, rarely make the last 50/100. Only once did I ever manage to win a tournament. What my game was lacking, quite badly, was the ability to a) make bad cards work for you and b) make good cards work better for you. For example, when dealt aces I would rub my hands with glee before flat calling and allowing 5 people into the pot, thinking I'm ahead. Individually of course I'm right, but against all the other players- aces 5 way are like a 30/40% shot, maybe? Something I didn't realise at the time, but understand pretty well having seen the guys explain it (I singled out Tikay since he's the one I've seen analysing the most hands- I'm sure the others are just as adept).

In my last 5/6 tourneys I've played here, at one point I've been chip leader in every one, and not through lucky breaks (apart from say, KQ coming good against A7/8/9 whatever). Obviously some hands have been lucky (say A7 busting AQ, or so) but mostly it's been through good play. Of course, I then make a stellar error which basically busts my whole tourney, but you live and learn from these errors. In the main, I think my game has tightened up dramatically, I'm making calls/raises/folds which are the correct decision in the long run and have no irritation about busting out of tourneys now I understand that if I make the right play and go out, there's nothing you can do. Before I would beat myself up thinking how I could have played it differently- ordinarily, I could- but now I get what's going on. My game is up a level. I think.

I'll continue to watch your shows with interest and hope to gain more knowledge- I really, really appreciate them a lot. Thanks Tikay and the guys! ^^

Comments