You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

HELP!!!!!!!

edited April 2010 in Poker Chat
hi all,

i need help, ive been playing for about four years and just recently im losing all the time but not due to bad play most of the time its a bad beat.im sure many players moan about bad beats but trust me follow me in tourneys and you will see just how bad its getting

id like some one to tutor me to show me where im going wrong and letting bad beats happen.

for example the last three times ive had pocket aces ive lost to hands like q2, k7 when ive raised big pre flop.
im not stupid i know how to play poker but somethings going wrong so any help will be much appriciated or any one willing to tutor me

please no mickey taking as it takes alot for a player of any game to admit their game isnt all that
cheers guys

Comments

• edited April 2010

hi there. you have probley heard this before aswell but your doing nothing wrong and over time the %'s say you will come out on top. i know its hard to beleive at the moment but you will. i had the samething happen a few months ago i had my ace's busted 5 times and lost most of my bankrole and the week later doubled my original amount so it will swing back round. good luck m8

• edited April 2010
    Hi evonuts

Its varience, I have just come off of 6 weeks of varience, my bankroll dropped from £63 to £6.90, AA getting cracked, no hands trying moves only to run into a hand getting beat on the river, in fact I was ready to give it a rest for at least a couple of days at least, I then managed a second in a MTT and now im doubling up in DYM SNG,s again, so I would suggest either have a rest, or try to fight through it.
  • edited April 2010
    thanks for the reply but its been happening for about six months,i thought the same as you but it just keeps happening i just need some one to follow me or tutor me and tell me what i can do better

and i didnt mention in my origional post but i play every day and always play the 8 oclock so if any one is willing to help catch me at 8 in the featured tourney

and thanks again
  • edited April 2010
    Hi

I was talking to tikay the other day and he has had a very similar experience for about the same length of time if not longer, so if it can happen to tikay, it can happen to anyone :)
  • edited April 2010
    Im same as Barry been up and down and down and up and down then down and still down at the moment cards are being nasty today and for months really having to play really low stakes. Dont try and win it back by staking more just stay low and even though it seems like a huge battle you will get a biggish win eventualy and think finaly what was i worried about. The best thing to do is not play an amount where you lose and get really worked up about it. Always be prepared to lose cos its gonna happen no matter how good you are. But if you are a decent player it will come good at some point. Just stick in there and dont get frustrated. your not the only one. GL

Also what type of games are you playing if you just play stt or mtt move over to cash and vice versa. and you say you play everyday so your gonna notice losing more. Take a little break and try and play tighter if you keep being outdrawn or people calling you down all the time. Fold more hands than you would normaly see how that goes.
  • edited April 2010
    Yes, we all go through these spells where everything gets outdrawn. I had it for about eight months last year.
    And it obviously does affect your whole game. I found myself folding hand after hand and just getting blinded away in tournament after tournament. Then when I did get a hand I didnt have the stack to make it really pay. It is important you keep trying to get into pots with your suited connectors or pocket pairs, obviously cheaply most of the time, but do try a few raises with these types of hand to say 3 or 4 times the BB. Then when you do pick up your AA or KK, resist the temptation to shove preflop, make the same type of raise,and generally that will still leave you up against only one or maybe two opponents.
    Dont be scared to play the streets but look at the flop texture carefully. The time to get all your chips in is often after the turn,when you are confident your opponent cant have made  his hand yet. Then make his decision expensive if he wants to play his open ender or flush draw with only the river to come.

• edited April 2010
    hi guys thanks for all the advice, seems im not the only one then

also to penguin i play exactly how you advised me to play and i play cash and tourneys barry, i try to mix it up as much as possible but ill stick at it and let everyone know how i did tonight maybe just maybe ill turn it round

just a thought  if your on tonight would you fancy following me and pointing out weakness or bad play as id very much like to know what people think of my game

thanks again guys it really is appriciated :)
  • edited April 2010
    hi evo, i have played you quite alot in mtts in the last few mnths, and to be honest i have changed my notes on you in  that time. these are only my observations, but you have become very tight and are alot easier to read. when i first played you, you were very aggressive and mixed your game up a lot, personally i found you hard to play against then. going through a down swing as you are (believe me i know what your going through)  you are less likely to use your position on the table with lesser cards or c bettin after the flop with air. please dont think im having a go at you, its just something i have seen in your game. hope this helps, coz we all need it when things aint going right. phil
  • edited April 2010
    funny you should say that pod my mate has said exactly the same thing

thanks for the advice ill remember what you have told me tonight i have been alot tighter but as you said thats because im so used to the bad beats, i suppose what i have to do is say right ive got a big hand is yours bigger instead of i have a big hand i hope yours isnt bigger if you get my drift ill try the old evonuts today and let you all know thanks again
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to HELP!!!!!!!:
    hi all, i need help, ive been playing for about four years and just recently im losing all the time but not due to bad play most of the time its a bad beat.im sure many players moan about bad beats but trust me follow me in tourneys and you will see just how bad its getting id like some one to tutor me to show me where im going wrong and letting bad beats happen. for example the last three times ive had pocket aces ive lost to hands like q2, k7 when ive raised big pre flop. im not stupid i know how to play poker but somethings going wrong so any help will be much appriciated or any one willing to tutor me please no mickey taking as it takes alot for a player of any game to admit their game isnt all that cheers guys
    Posted by EVONUTS
    HELP IS HERE.Hi, weve just read your post ,Bryan and i get this cry for help all the time.Your bad hands are now in good hands.If, Evonuts you were a snooker player,Bryan and i would suggest if your form was on the downturn,that you get some more solid practice in ,or worse case scenario ,get a new stick.If ,Evonuts you were a darts player missing your doubles,the same advice would be given,except for the stick,indeed new arrows would be the advice.If ,Evonuts you were an athlete whos form was shot at,we again would recommend more training and advice would be given on your nutrition.But my friend your only playing a common garden game of cards.You dont choose your starting hands,flops,turns and rivers.Basically,Evonuts,these hands are out of your hands,and now your in our safe hands,well give you a hand on how to handle these hands,handy uh?.let us look at the game of chess,youve 8 prawns,your opponents 8 prawns,2 horses each,2 castles each,2 bishops each,1 king,1 queen.Yes ,thats an even start,but while playing poker youll find it a very rare occasion 2 players starting equally.My friend,poker is a game that is 80% LUCK,the sooner you realise this simple equation,immediately the burden of failure will leave your confused mind and make you happy once more.Once you realise your doing NOTHING wrong ,other than being unlucky,your life will blossom again.It hurts Bryan and i that so many poker players take this game of fun and pleasure to such complicated heights and end up on our couch.Variance is a word Bryan and i are at this very moment in the process of eliminating from the poker dictionary. Variance this Variance that,were not having any variance.Again,this word overcomplicates things.Simple,you can play poker as long as you want,on as many tables as you want,if the cards you wish for dont arrive,you either bluff or fold.If you play for months and you dont seem to hit a hand,so what,its nothing to do with you,bingo is the same if your numbers dont come out,only difference is you cant bluff at bingo,ie, say to the caller "house" indeed when you havnt even got a brick.Just because you go for weeks or months without luck,theres no time limit on luck to say that this variance will kick in,this is not the case.Of course over a period of unknown time youll hit ahand now and again,but it doesnt work like youve had bad luck for 6 months, now youve got 6 good months,this makes Bryan and i titter.Skill in poker of course does exist,and can be used to your advantage,but remember this,you cant make a silk purse out of a cows ear innit. Hope ure feeling much better in yourself now my friend,and r    e     l     a     x.kind regards Bryan Oryan and i.
  • edited April 2010
    well guys its time to say bye to sky poker for now !!!

ive played the 8 oclock bounty and as you can see i lasted 8 minutes.
    I had a 10 suited (spades) flop came Ac Kh 10c PUT A POT BET TO STOP THE STRAIGHT CATCHERS and flush draws which was about 540 got a call put him on flush, turn came 8h he went all in i had to call, river was 3h showed cards he had QH 10H HE HAD HIT THE BACK DOOR FLUSH HOWS THAT FOR LUCK

SO NOW ITS TIME TO GIVE IT A BREAK FOR A WHILE

HOPE ALL THAT GAVE ME ADVICE GET BETTER LUCK THAN ME SO GL GG

EONUTS
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: HELP!!!!!!!:
    well guys its time to say bye to sky poker for now !!! ive played the 8 oclock bounty and as you can see i lasted 8 minutes. I had a 10 suited (spades) flop came Ac Kh 10c PUT A POT BET TO STOP THE STRAIGHT CATCHERS and flush draws which was about 540 got a call put him on flush, turn came 8h he went all in i had to call, river was 3h showed cards he had QH 10H HE HAD HIT THE BACK DOOR FLUSH HOWS THAT FOR LUCK SO NOW ITS TIME TO GIVE IT A BREAK FOR A WHILE HOPE ALL THAT GAVE ME ADVICE GET BETTER LUCK THAN ME SO GL GG                                                EONUTS
    Posted by EVONUTS
    LUCK ,your learning Evonuts,thats all it was but the bad variety.Saying that,i think if Bryan and i got an allin bet against us so soon in comp,pot committed rubbish or not,id say we,d have folded,obv str8 on the flop,we would have thought perhaps.Who knows the next hand you could flop something nice and regain your temporary loss of chips.We dont buy that Tikay saying,"get them shoveled in" it doesnt work.The whole idea is to stay in a tourney until the very end,why risk allin and your tourney life if you aint got the nuts.Bryan and i will often lay down pocket kings n queens ak  etc pre flop when allin bet is made against us.I think its time m8 you took up a new hobby cos your not getting any enjoyment from poker.Bryan ,heapey and i often go for walks in the woods finding abundant amounts of nature before our very eyes.Included in our nature walks we see red squirrels,greater spotted woodpeckers,stoats,rabbits,sheep ,cows,blue txxs,great txxs,magpies,carrion crows,and we were blessed with getting within 3 feet of a robin redbreast,that was a fine day.We take our beloved dog Buddy with us everytime,hes quite well behaved except when we go through the gate where Buddy always gets hold of heapeys stick ,culminating in him having to release the stick.You my friend have released the poker,thats a good decision for the time being,see you in the woods.Kind regards Bryan Oryan and i