You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

QQ better than AK suit???

edited April 2010 in Poker Chat

Hi all, I'm quite new to Sky Poker, but not poker. Just want to know which hand u think is better as a startin hnd, cause for me it's QQ as AK usually is my bogey hnd, but lately 99 is too sick 4 words, loose with it or it breaks myAA if against it, unreal. Congrats to all goin to Vagas, I will hv a go nxt year as this year I'm busy. Have just won my first sky tourney tho, last night in £900gtd at 9PM. What a glorious feelin!! Luved it! My A2 beat AQ and KQ beat AJ, they were my 2 suckouts, otherwise it all went well. Luv this site, gonna b a regular now, but still on small stakes 4 a while!!

Cheers All

Mark K
(Babweboy)

Comments

• edited April 2010

depends which suit

• edited April 2010

If the Qs are both different suits to the AK these are the pre-flop equities of each hand;

QQ  53.786%
    AK   46.214%

If one of the Qs is the same suit as the AK there are the figures;

QQ  54.117%
    AK   45.883%

So you can see the QQ is slightly stronger in both cases, but it's essentially a coin flip.

• edited April 2010
    As a starting hand, QQ is far better. This is because it crushes so many other hands.
    AK doesn't have a significant edge against ANY hand, it is just ace high. It's value pre-flop comes from the fact that is only in a really bad spot against AA (and KK to a lesser extent). This means that you can bet aggressively with it pre-flop with a fair degree of confidence which gains you "fold equity".

• edited April 2010
    When my UTG 4xBB raise gets it's customary 4 callers, I would much rather have AK suited than QQ.  However when I'm on the button and I'm facing an early position raiser, I would much rather have QQ.  They are both premium hands but with all hands they play differently and work better in some situations than the other.

AK is a great club but at the end of the day starts just as ace high.

QQ is the third best pair, can really crush hands but opponents love playing Broadway cards and (off the top of my head) 40% of the time the flop will bring at least one over, so what do you do?
  • edited April 2010
    It is very dependant on the situation and the players I am against. QQ is good against one opponent and is a made hand that is very very strong to majority of hands, where AK is the hand which has massive potential if it hits the board, you reckon in most scenarios your ahead, if you hit it big then its hard for opponents to find them cards to out draw you, add it suited to the equation adds even more potential but only 3% to its chances of winning a hand. 

Realistically I would have to say QQ cause majority of the time its gonna hold up against one opponent, its a very scary hand to multiple opponents any K any A you gotta reckon your beat, however AK has strength in its drawing potential, whether it be to top pair or to a straight or flush, but it in most cases will always need to improve where as QQ doesn't necessarily have to.

Spike2120
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: QQ better than AK suit???:
    depends which suit
    Posted by Mr_Miyagi
    thnx for that, appreciated. gotta say QQ is better then if only slightly. Cheers to all responses
  • edited April 2010
    If the Qs are both different suits to the AK these are the pre-flop equities of each hand; QQ  53.786% AK   46.214% If one of the Qs is the same suit as the AK there are the figures; QQ  54.117% AK   45.883% So you can see the QQ is slightly stronger in both cases, but it's essentially a coin flip.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    Cheers G, makes sense, thnx for reply, appreciated. BB
  • edited April 2010
    As a starting hand, QQ is far better. This is because it crushes so many other hands. AK doesn't have a significant edge against ANY hand, it is just ace high. It's value pre-flop comes from the fact that is only in a really bad spot against AA (and KK to a lesser extent). This means that you can bet aggressively with it pre-flop with a fair degree of confidence which gains you "fold equity".
    Posted by MereNovice
    Thnx MN, great point, appreciated. C ya on the tables bud, BB.
  • edited April 2010
    When my UTG 4xBB raise gets it's customary 4 callers, I would much rather have AK suited than QQ.  However when I'm on the button and I'm facing an early position raiser, I would much rather have QQ.  They are both premium hands but with all hands they play differently and work better in some situations than the other. AK is a great club but at the end of the day starts just as ace high. QQ is the third best pair, can really crush hands but opponents love playing Broadway cards and (off the top of my head) 40% of the time the flop will bring at least one over, so what do you do?
    Posted by TommyD
    Thnx for that TD, sumarisin, I think QQ is more often the better hnd except in certain situations. makes sense, thnx for replyin, appreciated. BB
  • edited April 2010
    It is very dependant on the situation and the players I am against. QQ is good against one opponent and is a made hand that is very very strong to majority of hands, where AK is the hand which has massive potential if it hits the board, you reckon in most scenarios your ahead, if you hit it big then its hard for opponents to find them cards to out draw you, add it suited to the equation adds even more potential but only 3% to its chances of winning a hand.  Realistically I would have to say QQ cause majority of the time its gonna hold up against one opponent, its a very scary hand to multiple opponents any K any A you gotta reckon your beat, however AK has strength in its drawing potential, whether it be to top pair or to a straight or flush, but it in most cases will always need to improve where as QQ doesn't necessarily have to. Spike2120
    Posted by Spike2120
    Cheers Spike, appreciate ur response, Allinall sounds like QQ r better except in certain situations and plyrs. Thnx mate, c ya on tables. BB