You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

BRIAN DAVIS - True Sportsman or total plonker?

edited April 2010 in The Shed
As you may have seen over the weekend Brian Davis (a golfer) called a foul on himself during a play off with Jim Furyk in the Verizon Heritage Classic. The two shot penalty rendered it impossible for him to win, therefore losing out on a million dollar payday, but more importantly, his first ever USPGA Tour win.

For those that don't know, Davis caught a loose piece of bamboo lying on the ground during his backswing as he played from a rocky area towards the green. As this was a loose impediment, not fixed, it is deemed as improving your lie, and that is against the rules of golf. Now, nobody saw what happened, but Davis felt that he had moved it and asked for clarification from the tournament referee. After seeing tv close-ups of it he called the penalty on himself.

In these days of prima donna football players throwing themselves to the ground just to win a free kick, and cricketers not walking, unless the umpire raises his finger, even though they know they are out,  i just wondered what you all think of his actions.

Personally, as a keen golfer i can only applaud what he did. I feel he played to the true ethos of the game and maybe if just one other sportsman takes heed of his actions and decides to eradicate those little cheats from his/her own game, (whatever game that is) then sport could possibly start to become enjoyable to watch again.

So, i'd like to know, was he right in doing this.

Comments

• edited April 2010
    Applause.......He will be rewarded in time.

Probably one of the few "Straight" sports still out there.
  • edited April 2010

Yeh total plonker......like the heads up scenario the other week when one guy had disconnected, ur not gonna sit and wait for him are ya - every man for himself !!

Ive always thought the guy who came up with these rules in golf, must have been a plonker......There are some mega weird playing conditions, surely common sense should prevail. 
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: BRIAN DAVIS - True Sportsman or total plonker?:
    Yeh total plonker......like the heads up scenario the other week when one guy had disconnected, ur not gonna sit and wait for him are ya - every man for himself !! Ive always thought the guy who came up with these rules in golf, must have been a plonker......There are some mega weird playing conditions, surely common sense should prevail. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Actually they were true gentleman, who believed that the spirit of fair play, and good conduct were more important than winning. It is the same with snooker, invented in india by officers who standardised good etiquette (evening dress) Cheating is cheating, and if you cant win within the rules, i have no time for you, it is the same with the working mans game of darts, players will correct a referee even when he gives him a higher score by mistake, its about time that people were banned for cheating in whatever sport they play. One final point, remember when Colin Montgomery was accused of improving his lie, he was vilified within some sections of the sport, but people accepted his assertion that it was a genuine mistake in the end, and thats how it should be, whether its cheating by taking performance enhancing drugs, or hoping no one noticed a foul play, its all the same and its about time it became unacceptable to cheat in all sports, and people who do cheat in sport, often have no moral compass in life also, and shouldnt be trusted - ATB Grumpy old man AKA loony
  • edited April 2010
    I was watching Davis on Sky Sports News as it reported on this act of extremely good sportsmanship.

However he had a second really to decide whether to win the tourny by cheating for the whole watching world to see, or to be a hero and a sportsman. Fortunately for him he had the intelligence to admit what he had done whether he wanted to or not.

And he was right to do so because, as everyone saw, it was a duff stroke...and iit was caught on camera.

If he would have not admitted it he would be the golf equivalent of Maradonna or Thierry Henry.

What ever the reason for admitting it i respect him for either having the foresight or the sportsmanship.

Airwalker.

• edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: BRIAN DAVIS - True Sportsman or total plonker?:
    In Response to Re: BRIAN DAVIS - True Sportsman or total plonker? : Actually they were true gentleman, who believed that the spirit of fair play, and good conduct were more important than winning. It is the same with snooker, invented in india by officers who standardised good etiquette (evening dress) Cheating is cheating, and if you cant win within the rules, i have no time for you, it is the same with the working mans game of darts, players will correct a referee even when he gives him a higher score by mistake, its about time that people were banned for cheating in whatever sport they play. One final point, remember when Colin Montgomery was accused of improving his lie, he was vilified within some sections of the sport, but people accepted his assertion that it was a genuine mistake in the end, and thats how it should be, whether its cheating by taking performance enhancing drugs, or hoping no one noticed a foul play, its all the same and its about time it became unacceptable to cheat in all sports, and people who do cheat in sport, often have no moral compass in life also, and shouldnt be trusted - ATB Grumpy old man AKA loony
    Posted by loonytoons
    I couldn't agree more.
    Excellent post.

It is a sad sporting age that we live in when the euphemism "professional foul" is used to describe blatant and cynical cheating. It sets an incredibly bad example to youngsters who then believe that such behaviour is not only acceptable but necessary (in all walks of life, not just sport).
    Personally, living with a clear conscience would far outweigh any benefits gained from cheating.

I guess that it's a generation thing - but that's a sad indictment of the effect that top sportsmen and unprincipled media coverage have had on many top level sports.

Yours...

Another grumpy old man
    Tunbridge Wells
  • edited April 2010
    Some of the rules themselves are stupid, not the guy admitting to "breeching them".

• edited April 2010
    Makes you a proud Englishman when you actually see such good sportsmanship. From reading the news from america, they have really appreciated his honesty and integrity and he will now be cheered to the rafters by all american sports fans golfing or otherwise. Although it wouldn't have crossed his mind at the time he could now easily make up the 1/2 $million lost in prize money for 2nd place in more lucrative endorsements in sponsorship. True sportsman in my opinion. Dave