You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Snatching Defeat from the Jaws of Victory

edited April 2010 in The Shed

My fellow shedian tipsters, this is your chance to tell us about your betting bad beats. For anyone who reads the Footy betting/Worth a Big Blind threads, let us know about your tips that have failed spectacularly. Myself and emilyegg are gaining quite a reputation on these betting threads for being complete Jonahs(we are the new Jonahs Brothers). I was far and away the biggest Jonah until emilyegg decided to put a few bets on Tony McCoy at Cheltenham. I was in tears of laughter watching on tv as McCoy got thrown off several horses, poor bloke was limping all over the place.

I could probably fill 20 pages with my stories but for the time being i'll let you get your betting bad beats off your chests.

Think of this as a bit of therapy, you'll feel better for letting everyone know ;-)

Comments

• edited April 2010
    About 10 yrs ago when i had plenty of money and had more money than sense, lost an absolute fortune on a football match !!!

It was a spread bet Arsenal were playing Deportivo in the champions league at home, Arsenal very rarely lost at home and Deportivo were terrible travellers away from Spain.

Arsenal had to give 1 goal start, so i had £1000 a goal e.g if Arsenal won 2-0 i would win 1k

The match went like this 0-1, 0-2, 0-3, 1-3, 1-4, 1-5 final whistle, was totally speechless watching the match and was white as a ghost afterwards!!! (This was the team with the famous back five Dixon, Adams, Keown, Winterburn, Seaman probably the only time they had conceded so many goals in one match)

End result i had lost £5000 on one game of football !!  OUCH !!

Thank god i found poker, very rarely have a bet now unless its a major sporting event, Thank god lol .
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: Snatching Defeat from the Jaws of Victory:
    About 10 yrs ago when i had plenty of money and had more money than sense, lost an absolute fortune on a football match !!! It was a spread bet Arsenal were playing Deportivo in the champions league at home, Arsenal very rarely lost at home and Deportivo were terrible travellers away from Spain. Arsenal had to give 1 goal start, so i had £1000 a goal e.g if Arsenal won 2-0 i would win 1k The match went like this 0-1, 0-2, 0-3, 1-3, 1-4, 1-5 final whistle, was totally speechless watching the match and was white as a ghost afterwards!!! End result i had lost £5000 on one game of football !!  OUCH !! Thank god i found poker, very rarely have a bet now unless its a major sporting event, Thank god lol .
    Posted by goodylad21
    aha... spread betting, very dangerous, leave that to the city boys!!
    lost a fortune backing Scotland to come last in 5-nations bout 12 years ago......and they won it... haha...MINUS   bout -1.5K, AND THAT WAS A SPORTING LIFE TIP!!!!!!!!!!!
    P.S think that heading phrase just about sums up mi Vegas performance, but very happy for Penguin
  • edited April 2010
    The most memorable bad beat bet was when I put money on Hearts to win the Scotish League 85/86 season at 100/1. In the last game Hearts just needed a draw. Celtic needed to win by at least three and Hearts lose! Celtic won by 5 and Hearts lost on the river, they conceded two goals in the last 7mins to lose 2-0!
  • edited April 2010
    must been 7 years ago felt lucky about grand national,i was doing R/tricasts with some success for small sums myself and mate studied paper all morning and i came up with 3 for big race and of i went.......but changed it in bookies.i was sitting at home watching with horror at the divident something like 6 or 8 grand maybe 5,as my mate came bursting through front door thinking we where a couple of grand up  he has never forgiven me!!!!!!
  • edited April 2010
    The most memorable bad beat bet was when I put money on Hearts to win the Scotish League 85/86 season at 100/1. In the last game Hearts just needed a draw. Celtic needed to win by at least three and Hearts lose! Celtic won by 5 and Hearts lost on the river, they conceded two goals in the last 7mins to lose 2-0!
    Posted by Donut64
    Helped in No small part by St.Mirren.....you could have thrown a Hat on three of their goals that day. Was at Dens Park myself. Not nice, not nice at all.
  • edited April 2010
    Sorry Quagmire, went off on a bit of a Tangent there :0((

Will throw this one in from the first chapter of my betting disasters.....

Gold Cup (early 1990`s?) Backed Garrison Savannah to win the race @ 22/1 Nice, But I remember having a cheeky £10 on the said horse to win the Gold Cup/Grand National Double too....at 3 figure odds.

After winning the Gold Cup, it was backed in to about 7/1 (i think) for the National. Jumped like a Stag round Aintree and was looking home and hosed.........then just as I was working out my 4-figure return after it jumped the last, it got caught on the elbow and finished 2nd. :0((
  • edited April 2010
    I had £210 on arsenal to beat wigan which was looking like easy money until the 80th minute, then it was like watching a car crash in slow motion.

Oh how i laughed when flapanski dropped the ball onto brambles head.
  • edited April 2010
    Can`t remember alot of them,(try not to)
    but I mainly bet on sure certs,(ha,what is 1 of those)
    Sevral stick in my de-ranged mind:-
    1.Rochdale losing at home to Darlington.
    2.York losing at home to Eastbourne.
    3.Rochdale at home again to someone.
    4.Millwall at home to Brentford.
    These are a selection of the 1`s I can remember and the
    total lost must be at least £500.
    Never mind it`s only money(I haven`t got anymore)...                                                                                                                                              
  • edited April 2010

I can see this thread going from strength to strength so i'll offer up my worst ever betting bad beat just so you can see how much of a Jonah i am. To be fair it wasn't my money, but as a 10 year old boy who had great sporting insight for someone so young, i told my dad to stick a big wedge on Mike Tyson in what should've been a simple title defence in 1990. What happens, he only gets sparked out by James "Buster" Douglas! My dad was far from amused and i received no pocket money during that summer :-(

I should've stopped then but i chose to carry on and over the years i've turned many champs into chumps.

Looking forward to hearing some more of your stories. Keep em coming. :-)

• edited April 2010
    I can see this thread going from strength to strength so i'll offer up my worst ever betting bad beat just so you can see how much of a Jonah i am. To be fair it wasn't my money, but as a 10 year old boy who had great sporting insight for someone so young, i told my dad to stick a big wedge on Mike Tyson in what should've been a simple title defence in 1990. What happens, he only gets sparked out by James "Buster" Douglas! My dad was far from amused and i received no pocket money during that summer :-( I should've stopped then but i chose to carry on and over the years i've turned many champs into chumps. Looking forward to hearing some more of your stories. Keep em coming. :-)
    Posted by Quagmire72
    Please DO NOT get me started on the boxing.
    Mike Tyson,AAAAHHHHHHHHHHH.
    The only one I can think of in recent years that I won on,
    AUDREY in the Prize Fighters...
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: Snatching Defeat from the Jaws of Victory : Please DO NOT get me started on the boxing. Mike Tyson,AAAAHHHHHHHHHHH. The only one I can think of in recent years that I won on, AUDREY in the Prize Fighters...
    Posted by STEVEMAX
    Not meaning to take anything away from your betting win(every win should be savoured), but i've got a feeling the only reason this came in is because i had money on Coleman Barrett to beat him in the final :-(

Stay lucky

Your friendly neighbourhood Jonah

Quagmire
  • edited April 2010
    my worst bad beat beat when it comes to betting is sick, well to me it is.

i was sitting on the bus back home from work when i picked out 4 horses running at the night meetings. i went to bookies when i got off bus and started to write out ma £15 lucky 15. i wrote the first horse down then the second but when it came to the 3rd that race was directly infront of me, here i changed my mind from original selection to the fav in the race and the wrote down ma 4th,

i got home and checked teletext late that night only to find that my 1st selction WON, 2nd selection  WON, 3rd selection fav lost but original selection won at 14s and 4th selection won,,,,, i got best part of £250 back for 3 winners whereas i was onto 4k if i had stuck wit original bet.

moral of story,,, never change ur mind