You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How To Work Out Pot Odds

edited July 2009 in Poker Chat
How do you work out pot odds...???
Or.....
Where can I find out how to work out pot odds???

I would really love to improve my game and I feel this is essential to turn my from a good player to a great player.

Thanks people

Trev

Comments

• edited July 2009

I'm sure someone will be able to describe it better than me but basically pot odds are

The ammount in the pot
    The ammount it would
    cost you to call

For instance if there is 2000 in the pot and your opponent bets 500 into it, to make it 2500, you are getting odds of 5 to 1 on the call

2500   = 5
    500        1

Hope this helps.

• edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: How To Work Out Pot Odds:
    I'm sure someone will be able to describe it better than me but basically pot odds are The ammount in the pot The ammount it would cost you to call For instance if there is 2000 in the pot and your opponent bets 500 into it, to make it 2500, you are getting odds of 5 to 1 on the call 2500    = 5 500        1 Hope this helps.
    Posted by kirstii
    Thats great thanks.

Anymore comments would be appreciated the more I can learn the better.
  • edited July 2009
    Here is a nice little tool, with good examples underneath.

http://www.pokerlistings.com/online-poker-odds-calculator
  • edited July 2009
    Here is a nice little tool, with good examples underneath . http://www.pokerlistings.com/online-poker-odds-calculator
    Posted by SolidStan1
    Wicked nice 1 stan, but come on people there must be more of you out there that can help??

• edited July 2009
    The bit I struggle on is trying to work out whether I actually have the odds to call or not. I can work out the basic pot odds but my maths ain't all that great so trying to work out my outs & then convert them to some sort of odds in the 10/15 seconds you get (not sure how long it is) just confuses me & I mostly end up going with instinct.
  • edited July 2009
    The bit I struggle on is trying to work out whether I actually have the odds to call or not. I can work out the basic pot odds but my maths ain't all that great so trying to work out my outs & then convert them to some sort of odds in the 10/15 seconds you get (not sure how long it is) just confuses me & I mostly end up going with instinct.
    Posted by silentbob
    Good plan, yes its difficult to work out 2 percentages in 10 seconds!!! Generally you know instantly in your spider senses whether you have a lot of outs and taking into account the amount being asked to call, you can work out a rough estimate, rather than an exact amount you could do playing live
  • edited July 2009
    It's good practice to commit certain common draws to memory - for example Pocket Pair improving to Set on the flop, or four to the flush (on the flop) improving to flush by the river, etc...etc. 

• edited July 2009
    Posted by silentbob
    Silentbob welcometo my world!!