You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!
Options

Value Bet Or Raise Inducing Bet?

When you get to the river with a made hand. I.e Full house Flush. and say the pot is 1500, when out of position againts one player are you a fan of putting out a value bet of 1000 ish, or betting 300 and trying to induce a raise, ive been trying this in a few small MTT's, And alot of players have been repopping me or is it a -ev move due to players wanting to see a cheap show down?

Opinions?

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2010
    it's a situational game... so it depends what you think they have...

if you think they have nowt then you could check raise/ bet small and raise

if you think they will check behind but call a value bet then value bet
  • Options
    edited April 2010

for me it depends on 3 things

1. what i know about the oponent ie. how agressive they have been in touriment and previous meetings

2. the play in the hand up to the river ie. whos raising with a hand and whose fishing.

3. the possible hands the opponent could have made ie. a flush draw (especialy if its come on the river your fish loves this makes him think hes out smarted you) or even a worse house.

hope this helps also remember in this as everyother sittuation in poker the more you mix up your actions the more difficult it is for you opponent to decide what to do the more likely your getting the most value from your premuim hands

• Options
    edited April 2010
    Interesting thread this.  I used to think I was being clever when I would say  have a made strong hand on the flop, but say there were 2 suits on as well.  I would bet flop, bet turn , then if the riv didnt put 3rd suit on I would check, as it is reasonable to assume they were on the draw and the only way they can win the pot now is to bluff.  It did work a few times but then Id be kicking myself when they check behind, and when it comes to showdown their haand was definitely strong enough to call one last value bet.

I think it is just hand reading skills, but I reckon getting this right would make a huge difference on the bottom line
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yeah ive been messing around with it, and againts a aggressive player its so effective as they are in the pot miss there draw and then i bet 100 into 600 and the will try and buy the pot. It is a intresting debate as alot of times they will check behind and youve missed out on a solid value bet.

And yeah of course its a situational thing. I definitly think its worth messing around with on some small games and seeing what type of players take the bait.