You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What type/value of game should I be playing?

edited April 2010 in Poker Chat
Ok here is my problem... I am by no means the greatest poker player but I am trying to be by watching it on TV, taking on board all the advice from the presenters I also play quite alot on here and have played live on a few occasions.  I am pretty good at knowing what cards I should play on, what I should fold and what value of bets to place. 
I am normally found on cheaper tourneys like £2.30 BH, £2.20 deep stack (which doesn't seem very popular anymore) or £2.25/£3.30 SNG which I used to always do pretty well at.  Recently there seems to be a huge influx of players chasing hands and calling raises pre flop, before and after the turn when I have legitimate hands then they always seem to hit lucky on the river ending in me getting beat by cards which they realistically should have folded pre flop when I raise etc  I am not just being a sore loser and if someone chooses to play their game that way thats their choice. I don't think they should fish and chase hands and I don't, unless perhaps looking for the straight or the flush following a half decent flop and my opponent is not making it too expensive for me to do so (which if they were better players they would make it too expensive right?) Surely the players who do fish and call bets far higher than they should lose alot more than they win in the long run (unless up against me they win everytime lol)
I read somewhere on here its perfectly acceptable to raise with nothing but you can't call with nothing! makes perfect sense (to me at least)
So my actual question is if I play more expensive games do you think there is alot less of this happening?  Or indeed is it catch 22 by playing higher stakes there are not as many idiots but more experienced players who will beat me using their skill (which i wouldn't like but could handle).

I think sites like facebook are a bad thing, I started playing poker on there and although it taught me the hands etc it also taught me bad habits like chasing hands but since playing on sky poker I have totally changed and adjusted my game.
I am not moaning about poor players or anything I merely want advice on what level I should play at.

Comments

• edited April 2010
    i once thought variance would be lower the higher up in stakes you play, i was so wrong. 
    the higher stakes the larger the variance.
  • edited April 2010

Play whatever level you enjoy the most, but not more than you can afford to lose.

• edited April 2010
    I'm going to be honest, i didn't read all of your post...... it's very long lol (but probably shorter than my response :))

In fairness i'm at work and didn't have them time to take it all in but i thought i'd offer my thoughts in a very general way (so if i make points that are already made in your OP etc i apologise as i've only skimmed it)

What level should you play at? the answer to this question is another question i'm afraid.... What do you want out of the game?

if your just playing for fun and a win is a nice bonus then the answer is very different to if you have asperations of becoming the next high stakes cash grinder or are the new Ivey Wannabe on the block.

If your playing for fun then my answer would be play what you are comfortable losing and gives you the most fun. so if you have £100 in the account and you don't mind dropping £11 on the open then play it, why not? bankroll rules are for those with a need to stay in the game IMO I.E they play every night and they play for the money as profession or second income on which they depend.

I'm not suggesting entering A £100 tourney because you don't mind losing it (spread the wealth a little more evenly lol) Just don't restrain yourself with a strict 5% (or as low as 2 as some people use for MTT)

from what i gleaned in the original post you are mainly playing MTT, may i sugest sats into the bigger tournaments, you can enter for about £2.40 and win your way to tourneys with £6k prize pools and a higher level of player. The sats themselves also have a good level as a lot of regs will use them to gain entery on the cheap.

Play what gives you enjoyment and won't hurt to lose in short :)

Chris
  • edited April 2010
    Ok I see your point, I went through this phase myself playing 4nl cash tables on here they call with absolutely anything and hit the flop harder, or they call down a draw the entire way and then hit on the river.

Now this may sound daft but these are the players you want, you are going through some sick variance and believe me I know the feeling but eventually this will turn around and thats when it all pays off, you have to think very long term. I have been pulled up for this in the past.

As for what games to play you are best to play where your comfortable where you can afford these out draws and these situations where you can't get away and stick within your BR.

• edited April 2010
    Thanks guys some decent advice.  Deep down I know i want players who play like that as more often than not I should win.  think I'm just having a few weeks of bad luck and hopefully it will turn around.  I shall also try out some sats thanks for that tip.
  • edited April 2010
    I haven't played much at skypoker lately due to a tech issue but find the br dictates what games I play ...to a certain limit.I also do not profess to be the greatest player ever ( or even a decent player) but I play for fun and any wins are a bonus. ( I do however let people know when I'm not happy with their play.....lol).

Generally I stick around the £5/£10 buy in tourneys and £10-£20 sit and go's. However, after a decent win, or a decent amount of overtime at work(!!<<<!!) I will play the higher priced tables.

IMHO.....the higher the buy in does not necessarily mean the better player. Maybe those playing £30-£50 tables have more to spend and the hands they play are  a bit more 'varied'.....watch the Primo as an example.

In summary, play what you can afford and don't go chasing losses. Have a br per month and stick to it. If you get a few wins at the lower tables...have a go a bit higher!!!! (after all , the other players you have won from are paying for it!!!!???.....if you lose....back to how the br is. Works for me.... 
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: What type/value of game should I be playing?:
    Thanks guys some decent advice.  Deep down I know i want players who play like that as more often than not I should win.  think I'm just having a few weeks of bad luck and hopefully it will turn around.  I shall also try out some sats thanks for that tip.
    Posted by GREGGYBOY
    Your very welcome, above all Greggy enjoy your game. The sats are a great way to get a lot of play for little money. remember to change your play for these though. Your not playing to win the tournament, just a seae. That means that if ten people qualify then tenth is as good as first so don't go crazy early on and remember that sats are about survival not chip leading

GL on the tables
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to What type/value of game should I be playing?:
    Ok here is my problem... I am by no means the greatest poker player but I am trying to be by watching it on TV, taking on board all the advice from the presenters I also play quite alot on here and have played live on a few occasions.  I am pretty good at knowing what cards I should play on, what I should fold and what value of bets to place.  I am normally found on cheaper tourneys like £2.30 BH, £2.20 deep stack (which doesn't seem very popular anymore) or £2.25/£3.30 SNG which I used to always do pretty well at.  Recently there seems to be a huge influx of players chasing hands and calling raises pre flop, before and after the turn when I have legitimate hands then they always seem to hit lucky on the river ending in me getting beat by cards which they realistically should have folded pre flop when I raise etc  I am not just being a sore loser and if someone chooses to play their game that way thats their choice. I don't think they should fish and chase hands and I don't, unless perhaps looking for the straight or the flush following a half decent flop and my opponent is not making it too expensive for me to do so (which if they were better players they would make it too expensive right?) Surely the players who do fish and call bets far higher than they should lose alot more than they win in the long run (unless up against me they win everytime lol) I read somewhere on here its perfectly acceptable to raise with nothing but you can't call with nothing! makes perfect sense (to me at least) So my actual question is if I play more expensive games do you think there is alot less of this happening?  Or indeed is it catch 22 by playing higher stakes there are not as many idiots but more experienced players who will beat me using their skill (which i wouldn't like but could handle). I think sites like facebook are a bad thing, I started playing poker on there and although it taught me the hands etc it also taught me bad habits like chasing hands but since playing on sky poker I have totally changed and adjusted my game. I am not moaning about poor players or anything I merely want advice on what level I should play at.
    Posted by GREGGYBOY
    Hiya Greggyboy,

Like you i play same level MTT's and usually the 2.20 deepies but also like you have got a bit fed up of the players who have recently (seems just recent anyway) started to play who are 4 x bb pre flop each time then chasing/bullying until they hit or bust.  As has been said, totally agree that normally these are the players of our dreams due the rate they should go bust but for me not really the point.  I play for pleasure and if it isn't pleasurable then what to do?  Well I decided to give myself a break from this particular tourny and spend some time learning Omaha.  Again, just some low level STT stuff but it has given me back my fun.

I shall return to the deepies as they are my first love but for now, a change is as good as a rest.