You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

I don't know

edited April 2010 in Poker Chat
In Response to I don't know:
Because of the time it takes him to call the bet on the flop, I am about 68% sure that he has a 7.  I do feel like I need to bet the turn.  Is there a bet that doesn't look weak that I can get off the hand if he jams.  Or should I chec the turn, with a view to calling a small bet and folding to a larger one?  Ideas please... Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance   Small blind   50.00 50.00 2705.00 Wilhelm Big blind   100.00 150.00 5750.00   Your hole cards A A         Fold         VILAIN Call   100.00 250.00 2790.00   Fold         Fold           Fold         Wilhelm Raise   200.00 450.00 5550.00 VILAIN Call   200.00 650.00 2590.00 Flop     5 J K       Wilhelm Bet   400.00 1050.00 5150.00 VILAIN Call   400.00 1450.00 2190.00 Turn     J      
Posted by Wilhelm
am i missing something? whats a 7 got to do with anything?

Comments

• edited April 2010

Because of the time it takes him to call the bet on the flop, I am about 68% sure that he has a J.  I do feel like I need to bet the turn.  Is there a bet that doesn't look weak that I can get off the hand if he jams.  Or should I chec the turn, with a view to calling a small bet and folding to a larger one?  Ideas please...

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
     Small blind  50.00 50.00 2705.00
    Wilhelm Big blind  100.00 150.00 5750.00
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • A

Fold     
    VILAINCall  100.00 250.00 2790.00
     Fold     
     Fold     
     Fold     
    Wilhelm Raise  200.00 450.00 5550.00
    VILAINCall  200.00 650.00 2590.00
    Flop

• J
    • K

Wilhelm Bet  400.00 1050.00 5150.00
    VILAINCall  400.00 1450.00 2190.00
    Turn

• J

• edited April 2010

Perosnaly i cant get away from this hand at this point id be betting 3/4 pot then if he came overe top id have to call but thats why im a loosing player.

• edited April 2010
    do you mean a jack m8
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: I don't know:
    In Response to I don't know : am i missing something? whats a 7 got to do with anything?
    Posted by 35suited
    Duly edited.
  • edited April 2010
    do you mean a jack m8
    Posted by stokefc
    Yep.... typoo....
  • edited April 2010

You are out of position and this is the difficult thing.

I would probably bet the flop as you have... when he flat calls, he is most likely to have a K, a Jack, or a flushdraw, he might even have Q10.

When the turn comes down, it is hard because your opponant's stack size means  if you make a sizable bet you are both getting pot commited and you must call the reraise if he shoves.  A weak bet however may also induce a reshove with only a flush/str8 draw. As you have more chips than him im pretty sure the big bet is the best tatic to put pressure on, and if he has a jack, so be it.

However, in this spot i might check the turn if he is a tight player, i know it is weak and i am giving him a free card if he is drawing, but i will see what he does. If he doesnt have the J, he might think that you have it and check behind. He may also slowplay a Jack, so i would probably put a small stopper bet on the river, and fold to reshove. If he bets the turn big, im folding.

Interesting hand Wilhelm... What did you do by the way?

• edited April 2010
    You are out of position and this is the difficult thing. I would probably bet the flop as you have... when he flat calls, he is most likely to have a K, a Jack, or a flushdraw, he might even have Q10. When the turn comes down, it is hard because your opponant's stack size means  if you make a sizable bet you are both getting pot commited and you must call the reraise if he shoves.  A weak bet however may also induce a reshove with only a flush draw. As you have more chips than him im pretty sure the big bet is the best tatic to put pressure on, and if he has a jack, so be it. However, in this spot i might check the turn if he is a tight player, i know it is weak and i am giving him a free card if he is drawing, but i will see what he does. If he doesnt have the J, he might think that you have it and check behind. He may also slowplay a Jack, so i would probably put a small stopper bet on the river, and fold to reshove. If he bets the turn big, im folding. Interesting hand Wilhelm... What did you do by the way?
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    I'll tell you what I did, but first I want to say that I am not being results deterministic.  I honestly put him on a J after he took about 3/4 of his time to call.  Call it a sixth sense or whatever.  Anyway, what I actually did was probably the worst thing I could have done.  I bet 800, he jammed and I couldn't fold for 1300 into about 4500.  Then he showed me J4.  I can't make informed decisions in 15 seconds.
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: I don't know : I'll tell you what I did, but first I want to say that I am not being results deterministic.  I honestly put him on a J after he took about 3/4 of his time to call.  Call it a sixth sense or whatever.  Anyway, what I actually did was probably the worst thing I could have done.  I bet 800, he jammed and I couldn't fold for 1300 into about 4500.  Then he showed me J4.  I can't make informed decisions in 15 seconds.
    Posted by Wilhelm
    The old flat tyre eh! What on God's earth was he doing with that hand! J3 i could understand:)

i dont think you did anything wrong! the 1300 into 4500 its a no brainer call imo, just ul.

I dont think its possible to put him on the jack exactly when he calls the flop, he could have the whole range of hands that i stated! But, i know what you mean about a sixth sense! Sometimes you just know!

I also agree about 15 seconds not being long enough, but i know others prefer the quick time. I have always wanted a time bank on non turbo tournaments!
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: I don't know : The old flat tyre eh! What on God's earth was he doing with that hand! J3 i could understand:) i dont think you did anything wrong! the 1300 into 4500 its a no brainer call imo, just ul. I dont think its possible to put him on the jack exactly when he calls the flop, he could have the whole range of hands that i stated! But, i know what you mean about a sixth sense! Sometimes you just know! I also agree about 15 seconds not being long enough, but i know others prefer the quick time. I have always wanted a time bank on non turbo tournaments!
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Thanks for you thoughts Greg.  Perhaps the 800 bet isn't as terrible as I first thought.  As you touched upon, playing out of position makes it 10X harder.  I'm starting to think that my favourite option is to check and see what he does.