You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Music..... Who are they?

edited May 2010 in The Shed
ooo i like this thread! very much! bloody great idea.

ok so, your suggestion....

(please don't hate me)

Unfortunately i'm not a massive fan of this type of music but i can see the appeal to others. reminded me of the lost prophets, they even quite look like them (although i'm sure it's the lost prophets who model themselves on these type of bands).

some catchy choruses but i'm going to give it a 5 out of 10 (only really because this type of music isn't my cup of tea)

my suggestion...

wild beasts - check out 'all the king's men' for one of their best songs (IMO)

Comments

• edited April 2010
    Okay inspired by the previous music and film threads I have an idea for all who can be bothered to take part in.

Everyone loves music (especially me). Music is like a chronological memory bank for me and I am always on the look for new talent. So this is how it works.

I list a Band and Album in which I think that very few people might have heard
    The 2nd poster then posts his nominee but listens to the album above him and gives his review, opinion on it, maybe a rating.

In return as I am a huge music buff with a very large range in genre I will listen to all bands listed and give my opinion.

If you don't have the means of checking out recommendations maybe check out the track list somewhere and then listen on youtube.

So to start it off I will go with... hmm let me see

Our Lady Peace - Gravity

• edited April 2010
    Ok Ms Chips i'm a music freak so i will take part in your challenge

i will have a listen and give you my review asap
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: Music..... Who are they?:
    ooo i like this thread! very much! bloody great idea. ok so, your suggestion.... (please don't hate me) Unfortunately i'm not a massive fan of this type of music but i can see the appeal to others. reminded me of the lost prophets, they even quite look like them (although i'm sure it's the lost prophets who model themselves on these type of bands). some catchy choruses but i'm going to give it a 5 out of 10 (only really because this type of music isn't my cup of tea) my suggestion... wild beasts - check out 'all the king's men' for one of their best songs (IMO)
    Posted by Sky_Rich
    I like the Lostprophets and I do agree with you. I'm listening to two dancers just now and report back with my findings sir
  • edited April 2010
    Ok Ms Chips i'm a music freak so i will take part in your challenge i will have a listen and give you my review asap
    Posted by HuFlungPu
    and you recommend who?
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: Music..... Who are they? : I like the Lostprophets and I do agree with you. I'm listening to two dancers just now and report back with my findings sir
    Posted by Ms_Chips

Bravo!

again, great thread!

• edited April 2010
    Sorry Ms Chips i just stuck it in youtube and had a listen to the 1st song

first off he is way to good looking for me to like him

reminds me of Nickleback resulting in me wanting to self harm

Bit too soppy for me but i will listen to another once i recover

here is one for you

Delphic - Acolyte 

• edited April 2010
    Wow Delphic are awesome its like the 80s have been brought back all brushed and polished I am listening to track after track on You Tube! Thank you HuFlungPu you have made an old fart very happy! :)
  • edited April 2010
    my suggestion... wild beasts - check out 'all the king's men' for one of their best songs (IMO)
    Posted by Sky_Rich
    Okay my friends just finished listening to Sky Rich's recommendation and this my friends is right out of the top drawer of obscurity. This is some crazy stuff your listening to Rich. There is a variety of influences going on here combining to result in something quite original. There is a post punk sombreness about it all mixed with some Pop theatrics. As Rich mentioned the winner on Two Dancers is 'All the King's Men'.

All in all This doesn't quite blow my skirt up however I can see why people will like this and because Wild Beasts sound like they are not in it for the commercial fan base it's about the music I'm gonna give it 6.5/10
  • edited April 2010
    Not really into Music in a big way and under qualified to review any but i'm going to check out some of the recommendations...

Have to say Ms Chips what a spot on idea of a thread - Not my subject matter but i love the concept - to use corporate buzz word of the century this is "Interactive" lol
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: Music..... Who are they? : Okay my friends just finished listening to Sky Rich's recommendation and this my friends is right out of the top drawer of obscurity. This is some crazy stuff your listening to Rich. There is a variety of influences going on here combining to result in something quite original. There is a post punk sombreness about it all mixed with some Pop theatrics. As Rich mentioned the winner on Two Dancers is 'All the King's Men'. All in all This doesn't quite blow my skirt up however I can see why people will like this and because Wild Beasts sound like they are not in it for the commercial fan base it's about the music I'm gonna give it 6.5/10
    Posted by Ms_Chips
    ha fantastic! i love your review! great work. i can see that (your reviews and) this thread is going to be right up there with my favourites.
  • edited April 2010
    i can see the thread of the week nominations as we speak (errr type)

;)
  • edited April 2010
    i can see the thread of the week nominations as we speak (errr type) ;)
    Posted by Sky_Rich

He he, I'm glad youe like
  • edited April 2010
    Delphic - Acolyte 
    Posted by HuFlungPu
    Okay just listened to Delphic - Acolyte. I had previously heard 3 tracks off this album all of which were a pleasure and defo merited an album listen. This album in a nutshell is a hidden gem for me. Delphic are a Hybrid of Rock and Electronic that reminds me of a modern new order. Their Bleeps and beats don't feel bolted on and instead become integral. The high point for me on this is Counterpoint a fab song. Not a million miles away from one of my fav bands pendulum without going crazy on the drum and bass.

7.5/10

• edited April 2010
    Glad you and Donut liked it , i think its a cracker too

Band i was heavily into a few years back is.....

The Cooper Temple Clause - See This Through And Leave
  • edited April 2010
    Glad you and Donut liked it , i think its a cracker too Band i was heavily into a few years back is..... The Cooper Temple Clause - See This Through And Leave
    Posted by HuFlungPu

I often hear the band's name but I've never actually delved into their music. I'll give it a listen and report back.

here's another one for you all -

Broken social scene - and their self titled album 'broken social scene'.... 'You forgot it people' is quite good too.

really looking forward to their next album out - May the 10th, i believe
  • edited April 2010
    Broken social scene - and their self titled album 'broken social scene'....
    Posted by Sky_Rich

Had this album on repeat since yesterday and I love it. An unusal band, where you don't fully appreciate the songs at first listen but then they grow on you like a crazy fungus. It opens rather bizarrly with half submerged vocals in a racket of noise and again I'm thinking, Rich what are you doing to my ears. The I hear the familiar voice of Feist and I begin to appreciate the album. My favourite song comes at the end with 'It's all gonna break'.

I recommend you do what I did and plug in your earphones and and listen to these songs build into a big messy atmospheric dreamscape.

8/10
    Warning not for the overly half baked.
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Music..... Who are they? : Had this album on repeat since yesterday and I love it. An unusal band, where you don't fully appreciate the songs at first listen but then they grow on you like a crazy fungus. It opens rather bizarrly with half submerged vocals in a racket of noise and again I'm thinking, Rich what are you doing to my ears. The I hear the familiar voice of Feist and I begin to appreciate the album. My favourite song comes at the end with 'It's all gonna break'. I recommend you do what I did and plug in your earphones and and listen to these songs build into a big messy atmospheric dreamscape. 8/10 Warning not for the overly half baked.
    Posted by Ms_Chips

ah glad you liked it. try their second album i suggested - that's as good, if not better