You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Should you lead out on drawing to a flush?

edited April 2010 in Poker Chat
I am a new player to Sky Poker and Would like to say Hi to all its members. I have reguarly bet out on a draw to a flush with two suited cards on the flop to my two suited cards in my hand and am reguarly called. The turn draws a blank and I am continuing my aggression, whilst the move is then put back on me by risking tournament life. Obviously all situations are different with maybe one of your cards being top pair etc, but it would be intereting to know whether it is better to call rather than be aggressive? Your comments would be appreciated and I look forward to playing with you all on the Bounty Hunter and Primo Watch Out!
 aka OCTUPUS

Comments

• edited April 2010

if i hit 4 to flush when the flop comes down. Depending on if any one bets befor me. i would normally bet out to try get maximum out of the players if you do hit it( and if you have the best flush)

Thats my view lol

• edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: Should you lead out on drawing to a flush?:
    This is when you need a read on ur players. Leading a draw is semi bluffing and the golden rule is don't semi bluff donks. In tournaments you shouldn't find yourself in to many of these spot to often.
  • edited April 2010
    for me generally it depends whether you have raised pre flop in which case you are showing strength from the start. If your draw comes people will not put you on just a draw if you bet into it, instead they will think you do not want the draw in which case they fold and you have taken the pot down or you can take a good chunk of there stack if you hit because they are then commited. Also when you dont hit the draw you can contiue with your aggresion and people dont like the board and that you have a strong hand, if you get a caller then you get a read that they are probably chasing a draw themselves and depending on how strong yours is can make better desisions. If you get a re-rasise post flop you can put them on top pair and then decide if you want to call it and chase which is also risky especialy if you dont hit and lose that aggresion. But there is the other depending if you want to see a flush cheap with out the risk of putting to much in the pot by not betting into it. In this case i would check or call all the way to the river let them do the action if they are the aggresor and betting, then re-raise on the river if you hit. End of the day i play both ways depending on what stack i have and whether i want to commit to it or not as its no good betting into a flush draw then missing and checking on the turn because it shows weakness and good players will see this. Lots of ways to play it just mix it up so players dont have you down as a chaser.
  • edited April 2010
    It does depend on the circumstances but generally i bet it so that it looks more like im afraid of it if it comes.dav
  • edited April 2010
    sometimes yes, sometimes no. If you only ever bet on made hands and always check draws, then an observant opponent will soon be able to play against you quite easily.

That said, I would only tend to lead out on a drawing hand out of position. If I am in position and have the chance to see the next card for free, I am going to take the free card with up and down and flush draws
  • edited April 2010
    thing is , if you check call, you are rarely getting your implied odds, as flushes, smack ppl in the face, they are not hidden, and unless someone has a lower flush, or are chasing the boat with 2pr or a set you just arent gonna get paid.
    Ithink a big factor is how many ppl are left in, if its hu i would bet this near 100% of the time, if 4 handed, i would check call or check fold depending on action
  • edited April 2010
    Thanks for all your comments it is appreciated. I have often come stuck on a two pair scenrio whilst a the board is draw heavey that contains both a straight and flush possibility hitting on the turn and river. Again I have used my position and agression both preflop and on the flop and are often called. The turn brings either the straight or the flush and I bet out in order to find my position. I then get raised, so I re-raise to find whther they have hot or bluffing. This then gets called, so |I am hoping the river gives me a full house in many scenrios it doesnt, so now I use my position to check and then call the bet, 70% it seems effective, but would you agree to this play or to be aggresive on the river that could risk my tournament life or indeed my chip stack?

aka Octupus
  • edited April 2010

Hi Octopus.

It's tough to answer definitively, as it is so situation dependent. The dynamics include, and this is key, "what stage of the Tourney?",  as I'd play this different in the early stages compared to the late stages.

Position is also key, I much prefer to be in position (late position, Button in effect) to make this easier & more effective to play.

Top pair AND 4 to the Flush is usually huge against almost any hand, & almost without exception, I'd play this very strong inded, I might even jam & if I find a customer, so be it, I want value for this, because I can stack someone here.

The other dream scenario is the top end of an up & down straight draw, AND the flush draw. Again, we are massive here, & we can play this one as hardball as we wish, as we have the maths batting for us.

We are, of course, talking Hold Em here. In Omaha, the situation has many more variables & nuances. 
  • edited April 2010
    Betting out is my preferred option here. If you bet out strong (usually pot size), it looks like you're afraid of the flush draw. If the flush comes on the turn, you can then go to Value Town for a good time. If you miss the flush, bet again (probably half pot or just over). If you miss on the river, jam it and pray ;o)