You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Deregistering from tournaments

edited July 2009 in Poker Chat
If i deregister from a tourney that i've qualified for through a satellite, if i find i can't take part, do i get the regsitration fee for the main tourney returned or the fee for the satellite, or do i just lose it completely?

Comments

• edited July 2009
    In Response to Deregistering from tournaments:
    If i deregister from a tourney that i've qualified for through a satellite, if i find i can't take part, do i get the regsitration fee for the main tourney returned or the fee for the satellite, or do i just lose it completely?
    Posted by Innerspace
    Hi

I have the answer for you as i qualified through two sats to last fridays 15K and was forced to go to Harry Potter instead.
    It wasn`t easy to find on the help pages but basically you ring customer support and they will remove you from the tourney and then put you into another simular one at a later date.

The ruling is "if you have won a ticket into a tournament" you cannot get the entry fee back, only like for like.
    Not sure i agree as you paid to get into the first/second qualifier as did the others who went out, so they have had the monitary value of your entry fee.
    Gary
  • edited July 2009
    OK, cheers. It does seem a bit harsh not to get the entry fee, as, if you finish just below the ticket places, you usually get a cash prize. 
  • edited July 2009
    Hi all,

The reason your buy-in and fee are not returned is because you are effectively taking money away from the prize pool.

One way to look at it is that you are taking away let's say £55 from the total prize pool after effectively only contributing for example £1.10. But then some would argue that although you only contributed a small amount, the prize pool is still covered by those entrants who did not make it through the satellites.

Another way to look at it is to qualify on the smallest buy in and then simply withdraw your entry because you are guaranteed a prize usually bigger than just playing a normal sit and go for the same cost.

However the main reason for this practise is just so that whoever is still in the tournament are guaranteed to get a decent sized prize pool to play for. Imagine playing through 5 satellites and getting to the final only to be playing for a £55 prize pool since everyone else could no longer make it and withdraw.

So there are various reasons for this but the last two being the more obvious ones.

We understand of course that people aren't always able to make a tournament they've qualified for so as IMALLIN2 said, we would be happy to put you into a new tournament at a later date if you give us fair notice. So if you realise you can't make it, then just give us a call and we'll be able to arrange something for you.