You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Put your poker questions to Matt on The Club.....

edited July 2009 in Poker Chat

Have you got a poker question you would like to get an expert answer to?   

Post them here and we will put them to Matt on The Club this week. 

It can be anything - big or small - cash, MTT, STT, live, online, poker terms, strategy......

Comments

• edited July 2009
    Isnt the club getting cancelled in a week or so?

If so, it seems a shame, only show i record off sky to have a laugh to.

My question though...

On a cash table 5/10p, I limped utg with 8c8d, i know i should of raised but if i get reraised i duno were i stand, so i thought if i limped n got raised it wouldnt be as big, and i could control the pot more....i couldnt of been more wrong!

The player on the button 4x raised, the sb and bb made the call so did i..

Flop... 8h js 2s, I thought i was in great shape, i check it, let players make a move then come over the top, the button then shoved for about 40x bb and the bb came over the top for about 90x bb and just had me covered. I was a bit puzzled but thought i had best hand and went all in only to see a spade turn and river.

Button shows Ks Qs and bb shows 8s 7s, both hitting flushes and busting me.

My main question is though? i know i played it pretty bad, but should i fold my set there to 2 all ins?

Cheers Norb.
  • edited July 2009
    does dan drive a porsche 4 wheel drive??? if so last sat he shot past me about 100 mph...lol
  • edited July 2009
    Hey Matt and Dan. Love the show (would it be sad to say The Club is in my top 5 fave tv shows ever?).

Quick question. I tend to stick to the small 6/12 handed Sit & Go's and have found that i tend to have more success with the faster paced Scary or Speed games than with the general No limit hold em tourneys. Apart from patience, what tips could you give me to improve my game when i enter a Deep Stack or a MTT such The Open or Five 00?

thanks and give my love to penguin, i have his brother here watching me type.

MRBALL aka Mr Ivor Smart
  • edited July 2009

Hi Penguin (and Matt and Dan),

This has probably been covered before and may be too involved in its answer, but If you're in late position and have a low pocket pair (say twos to fours), and get a raise – or even two – before you, what factors affect your decisions of whether to play or fold, bearing in mind that most cards on the flop are likely to be over cards.

Thanks, John

• edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: Put your poker questions to Matt on The Club.....:
    Isnt the club getting cancelled in a week or so? If so, it seems a shame, only show i record off sky to have a laugh to. My question though... On a cash table 5/10p, I limped utg with 8c8d, i know i should of raised but if i get reraised i duno were i stand, so i thought if i limped n got raised it wouldnt be as big, and i could control the pot more....i couldnt of been more wrong! The player on the button 4x raised, the sb and bb made the call so did i.. Flop... 8h js 2s, I thought i was in great shape, i check it, let players make a move then come over the top, the button then shoved for about 40x bb and the bb came over the top for about 90x bb and just had me covered. I was a bit puzzled but thought i had best hand and went all in only to see a spade turn and river. Button shows Ks Qs and bb shows 8s 7s, both hitting flushes and busting me. My main question is though? i know i played it pretty bad, but should i fold my set there to 2 all ins? Cheers Norb.
    Posted by Norbit
    Hi Norb

Just to say your question hs been addressed and will be on one of the next three The Club shows, so keep your eyes open!

Thanks for getting in touch.

Matt
  • edited July 2009
    Hey Matt and Dan. Love the show (would it be sad to say The Club is in my top 5 fave tv shows ever?). Quick question. I tend to stick to the small 6/12 handed Sit & Go's and have found that i tend to have more success with the faster paced Scary or Speed games than with the general No limit hold em tourneys. Apart from patience, what tips could you give me to improve my game when i enter a Deep Stack or a MTT such The Open or Five 00? thanks and give my love to penguin, i have his brother here watching me type. MRBALL aka Mr Ivor Smart
    Posted by mrball
    Well patience is probably the key thing - just realising that you have longer to play with before the blinds go bonkers - but really just be prepared to play more speculative hands that might develop over the streets (suited connectors, etc).

Other than that, just be on the look out for situations to taken down pots no one else seems very interested in,

Good luck!

Matt
  • edited July 2009
    You're posting on here AND commentating with Jesse on the show I'm watching right now (Poker Sports Stars Challenge - Darts players).
    Serious multi-tasking skills fella! ;-)

Ok, it's a recording from last night....    but don't spoil it for me, don't wanna know who wins :-)

• edited July 2009
    Hi Penguin (and Matt and Dan),   This has probably been covered before and may be too involved in its answer, but If you're in late position and have a low pocket pair (say twos to fours), and get a raise – or even two – before you, what factors affect your decisions of whether to play or fold, bearing in mind that most cards on the flop are likely to be over cards.   Thanks, John
    Posted by FlutNush
    Well, you really want to play these hands to hit a set and reap big rewards with your hidden trips, but a few things to consider...
    1) how big a % of your stack is it to chase the set? if too much you are better waiting for hands that you can take control of (or - if short stacked enough - maybe your 44 is good enough to shove with?)
    2) Is it just one raiser (could be anyhand - even AK or AQ that you already beat without improveing) so a good investment.
    3) Is it a raise and a call/re-raise (could be a bad spot to go fishing with but you do have good implied odds if you hit)
    4) be prepared to release the hand if there is no improvement
    5) if in late position, don't be afraid to bet out if the flop is messy (i.e. 2 8 J) and no one seems interested - you don't HAVE to improve to win the hand.

As always, you'll find loads of advice all over the web, so do some searching and see what various pros have to say in case something they say particularly clicks with you

happy hunting

Matt
  • edited July 2009
    does dan drive a porsche 4 wheel drive??? if so last sat he shot past me about 100 mph...lol
    Posted by razorkev
    In a word: no. If he rolled down a hill past you in a mobility scooter, you MIGHT have the right man.

Matt
  • edited July 2009
    Hi Matt
    Visited your website
    Loved the track in the background, is that you doing the vocals?
    Gary 
  • edited July 2009

Hi  
          my question is there is a Battle of the Blogs Poll going on the forum at the moment which one would he vote for and why

michael  alias  DTWBANDIT