You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Omaha Terminology - Wraps

edited April 2010 in The Poker Clinic
I was asked by a friend to explain the term wrap. Here is my attempt.

People who play No Limit Hold 'Em will be familiar with the terms "open ended straight draw" and "gut-shot straight draw".
Here are some examples:

An open-ended straight draw would be T9xx on a flop of K87, i.e. any J or 6 will make our straight (8 outs).

A gut-shot would be JTxx on a flop of K87, i.e. only the 9 will make out straight (4 outs).

A double gut-shot would be T9xx on a flop of Q86, i.e. our cards are not consecutive but any J or 7 makes our straight so this is effectively the same as an open-ended straight draw (8 outs).

In Omaha, it is possible to have even better straight draws than this. The generic term for these types of hands is "wraps". There are all types of wraps such as a "connected wrap", a "single-gap wrap", a "double-gap wrap" and an "inside wrap". However, we don't need to get bogged down in the terminology, we just need to be able to recognise the power of these hands when playing Omaha.

An example of a wrap is:

If we have T96x on a K87 flop, we don't have the straight yet (because we can only use two hole cards!).
However, any J, T, 9, 6 or 5 makes us a straight so we have 17 outs - far better than an open-ended straight draw.

A "super-wrap" would be even better.
If we have T965 on a K87 flop, any J, T, 9, 6, 5 or 4 makes us a straight which is 20 outs.

On a rainbow board (i.e. a board where no two cards are of the same suit), these hands are incredibly powerful since we have a large number of "nut" outs and a good number of other cards that make us a very strong hand and we can play these types of hands aggressively.

Note that, even in Omaha (!), a flush beats a straight so several of our outs may not be as strong as we would like (on a non-rainbow board) and our opponent would still have re-draws even if we made our hand on the turn. It is, of course, also possible for anyone with a set or even two pairs to beat our straight with a redraw to a full-house or quads (and our hand is extremely vulnerable on a paired board).

If we have a super-wrap after the turn on a rainbow non-paired board, we have 20 outs against a set which is pretty much half the pack so we are unlikely to ever be far behind.

Comments