You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Looking for advice on Cash Tables

edited May 2010 in Poker Chat

Only play mtt and stt.Would like to try something different for May for a change of pace.I intend to start on lowest level and i would like to know how the rake and points work.Also any and all advice on picking tables to play on and anything you think would be useful to know i would be most grateful.Thanks Jon.

Comments

• edited April 2010

Don't get too "carried away" with the transition. People thinK the gap and difference between the 2 games is huge. I believe this intimidates people, and effects their performance.

It's the "strong man" complex or something like that, don't beat yourself before u even sit down.

Theres still 6 people on a table, you still get dealt 2 cards each, and a flush still beats a straight. 

Dnt worry too much about table selection and avoiding players at the lower levels, just make sure theres decent money at the table, 5 players playing under 50xbig blinds - I wouldnt bother.

Have fun, n GL !

• edited April 2010
    have a look at average pots--play a bit more loose on a table with a low average pot, tighter on a table with a high average pot---but the most important thing to do is floppa whoppa!!--lol

• edited May 2010

Thanks for advice so far.Would you watch a table before playing?Still like to know how rake and points work.

• edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Looking for advice on Cash Tables:
    Thanks for advice so far.Would you watch a table before playing?Still like to know how rake and points work.
    Posted by belsibub
    See here for how the rake is calculated.

See here for details on "cash for points".

• edited May 2010
    Thanks for that MereNovice.
  • edited May 2010
    hi m8 just be sure if your going over to cash that once your all in thats your buy in gone and its really really easy to keep topping up. In stt and mtts you know when the game is over and exit your seat and have to re enter a new game with level playing field. With cash its so easy to just reload and carry on without realising what you wanted to stake and also you could be at a disadvantage because a player could have a huge stack advantage i.e more cash on the table!. So before you start i would suggest that you think about what you are willing to lose or how many rebuys you can afford. Also how much you want to make in profit if you are winning, its tempting to just carry on and think you will continue and the game never ends! think about how much time you will spend on the table and give your self a cut off point, otherwise it will be just one more hand 9 hours later and then you run into a monster and lose the lot. Try it in small doses at first see how you get on but mix it up by doing the stt and mtt games as you did before. Also if you feel uncomfortable with the players at the table! change tables :) hope this helps
  • edited May 2010
    At the low stakes, a 5x raise under the gun is likely to get called by two or three players cos its only 20p and what they call with can be utter trash. A serious c-bet is gonna cost you. That said, if you do this with strong hands and they don't hit miracle flops you're gonna get paid.
     Strong ABC poker should see you eke out a profit. Keep the fancy plays to a minimum, a check raise bluff on the river rarely works cos the amount is rarely more than a quid.The thought process being it's only a quid, not what hand could my opponent have.
    Good luck fella.
  • edited May 2010
    if your playing real micro stakes then

over raise

dont bluff at all even in obvious spots

call light on river to strange bets

dont play to many speculative hands just raise aj and up very hard pre flop

dont c bet (or very often)
  • edited May 2010
    Thanks for all the advice will try and take it onboard.
  • edited May 2010
    My adivice dnt play um ;)
    Ive lost a weeks shopping already
  • edited May 2010
    Ive felt alot more comfortable and more profitable since i have moved up to 10p/20p as i think the standard is alot different 2 the micro levels.dav