You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Tonights Primo

edited May 2010 in Poker Chat
Hi guys

Dont normally have a moan but need to get the stress of my chest after what just happened! lol Down to the final 20 in tonights Primo, sitting 10th in chips. Get AA and re-raise it big. One one of the big stacks comes with me and we end up heads up. Over we go. He had 3 6 off suit!!!

....on to the flop and it hits 3 6 straight away. The rest is history!

I can take bad beats but putting 30k of chips in for that is beyond me....or is it just me :-)

swordsdyboy

Comments

• edited May 2010
    In Response to Tonights Primo:
    Hi guys Dont normally have a moan but need to get the stress of my chest after what just happened! lol Down to the final 20 in tonights Primo, sitting 10th in chips. Get AA and re-raise it big. One one of the big stacks comes with me and we end up heads up. Over we go. He had 3 6 off suit!!! ....on to the flop and it hits 3 6 straight away. The rest is history! I can take bad beats but putting 30k of chips in for that is beyond me....or is it just me :-) swordsdyboy
    Posted by swordsyboy
    Just to reiterate its no sour grapes! lol. All the best to the remaining players. I've just never took a hit like that pre-flop before and needed to air it somewhere! what better place than the forum :-)

Been with Skypoker now for a few months and done OK so far. Had 4 goes at the Primo and 2 cashes 21st tonight and 7th the other week. Won one of the Vegas 1/4's the other week too...but sadly not far enough to mix it tonight. Really enjoy the site and the forum (although I've previously been just a reader of it). Look forward to learning a few things to tweak my game and perhaps meet a few of you guys in Coventry soon. (my hometown).

Darren

AKA swordsyboy
  • edited May 2010
    Thats poker i'm afraid. Quite what he was thinking is beyond me but maybe he just felt lucky. 

Hard lines though. Did you pick up anything for coming 20th??
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Tonights Primo:
    Thats poker i'm afraid. Quite what he was thinking is beyond me but maybe he just felt lucky.  Hard lines though. Did you pick up anything for coming 20th??
    Posted by PKRPar
    84 quid so not too bad, but once that deep I was looking for more and felt I was playing well. Like you said though thats poker for you sometimes :-)
  • edited May 2010
    Always next time mate :)

• edited May 2010
    In Response to Tonights Primo:
    Hi guys Dont normally have a moan but need to get the stress of my chest after what just happened! lol Down to the final 20 in tonights Primo, sitting 10th in chips. Get AA and re-raise it big. One one of the big stacks comes with me and we end up heads up. Over we go. He had 3 6 off suit!!! ....on to the flop and it hits 3 6 straight away. The rest is history! I can take bad beats but putting 30k of chips in for that is beyond me....or is it just me :-) swordsdyboy
    Posted by swordsyboy
    happens to me sometimes makes me think of giving up poker i just woundnt think of doing that unless i am short stacked
  • edited May 2010

Hi Swordy, well done on a nice cash.

But let's look at this. When you have Aces & you get called by 3-6, surely that's a good thing?

Imagine the cards are face up, you have Aces, & he has 3-6. Someone says "do you want 3-6 man to Call?". What would be your answer?

I'm assuming, that as you are an 84% favourite, you would say "ooh, yes PLEASE!". And so, as you win that coup 84 times out of 100, you really have to stoically accept that he will hit his hand the other 16 times. We can't have our cake AND eat it, & if 3-6 man wants to call me, I'll take the 16% rough with the 84% smooth.

Bizarrely, nobody ever chirps when their Aces hold up against 3-6 man!

• edited May 2010
    Well done to all that cashed last night, Primo is definately a nice one to cash in and a tournament I wish too do  soon!

Tikay, I'm playing in the Freeroll at Luton today at 3pm, Top 3 get tickets to the £150 jobby in the evening...what would your advice be in the Freeroll because it's only a 2k starting stack...? I would PM you but I know your probably clogged up so you wouldn't see this in time.
  • edited May 2010
    Well done to all that cashed last night, Primo is definately a nice one to cash in and a tournament I wish too do  soon! Tikay, I'm playing in the Freeroll at Luton today at 3pm, Top 3 get tickets to the £150 jobby in the evening...what would your advice be in the Freeroll because it's only a 2k starting stack...? I would PM you but I know your probably clogged up so you wouldn't see this in time.
    Posted by Ads2kuk
    Sit tight early, sit out even, then start to "play" when it get to Level 4 or 5. It's VERY difficult to "play" in the early stages of Freerolls, but when it gets to the sharp end, "normal" play will do fine.

Good Luck!
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Tonights Primo : Sit tight early, sit out even, then start to "play" when it get to Level 4 or 5. It's VERY difficult to "play" in the early stages of Freerolls, but when it gets to the sharp end, "normal" play will do fine. Good Luck!
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thanks mate, I'll give it a shot and let you know how I do. Hopefully will grab a seat into tonights game.
  • edited May 2010
    Thanks Tikay. Like you said you have to just take it on the chin sometimes and kudos to him for having the guts to make a move with those cards. Im sure if he knew my starting hand he wouldnt of but wheres the fun in that! :-) 2 cashes out of 4 Primo's not a bad start for me so far. Fingers crossed I can keep it going. Playing county darts for Warwickshire in Kent this weekend so if I get back from Tonbridge Wells in time on Sunday I'll see you all on the tables!

Swordsyboy
  • edited May 2010
    Thanks Tikay. Like you said you have to just take it on the chin sometimes and kudos to him for having the guts to make a move with those cards. Im sure if he knew my starting hand he wouldnt of but wheres the fun in that! :-) 2 cashes out of 4 Primo's not a bad start for me so far. Fingers crossed I can keep it going. Playing county darts for Warwickshire in Kent this weekend so if I get back from Tonbridge Wells in time on Sunday I'll see you all on the tables! Swordsyboy
    Posted by swordsyboy
    Ahh - so THAT is where the "Sword" in your name comes from - you are a Darts man. Nice one, & good luck in your County Match on Sunday. "County Standard" so you must be pretty handy, yeah?

And 2 cashes from 4 in Primo is pretty tidy, too, well done you.

As to that "beat", it's as you say, a poker player has to learn to take these on the chin, move on. It is a luck-based game - thank goodness - so everybody, from a Grade 1 player to a Grade 10 player - has a chance of winning, & that's what keeps the poker economy ticking over. Nobody wins much, but the better players learn to dodge bullets, exploit little edges here & there, & most of all, don't get fixated & hung up when they get turned over by a 16% dog.

I'm self-confessed old-skool, but I learned early on that I want to play bad players. Sure, it's fun to play better players, but they, err, play better, & are tougher to beat. So I'll take my chance with the 84-16 shots, because over time, the maths never lie. And losing 16 times to win 84 times seems pretty good odds to me.

Anyway, I'm waffling here. Good Luck on Sunday, Sir.
  • edited May 2010

PS - Well done on busting me in 49th place in tonight's Main Event, too. I could have SWORN I had A-A, but it appeared upon closer inspection - & after you called with Tens - to be 4-4. I blame the software.

Get it won now fella.

• edited May 2010
    Thanks Tikay

Im not a bad darts player. Can mix it with the best of the them when on form...it just doesnt happen often enough for me!

Apologies for knocking you out the open tonight tonight too...especially so near the cash ;-)

Joking aside though a pleasure chatting and hope to pit my wits against you again soon!

Swordsyboy
  • edited May 2010
    Well Tikay I didnt win it for you but came 2nd if thats a consolation? If anyone can bring up the hand history for the last few hands of the final table they make interesting viewing. I went all in with a dominating Ace he caught runner runner cards at the end for a straight to double up through me. Final hand I go all in with A10 to his A9 and he catches a 9 on the turn and that was that. I hope he spends the extra £400 wisely! hah :-)

Swordsyboy
  • edited May 2010
    AA called and beaten by 36 ........... welcome to my world.
  • edited May 2010
    Just had a quick look at the hand history A9 to A6 he hit 5 4 on the flop then T8 R7...I would have won the tournament otherwise...ouch! I think it was destiny though as the guy was down to the bare bones with about 20 of us left. How he managed to hang in like he did I'll never know! Fair play!