You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

MTT format on Sky

edited May 2010 in Poker Chat
Hi all,

I'm a new player to Sky but thought I'd come on and share my views on the MTT schedule and formats.

My initial thoughts are that generally the MTT events are poorly supported by the players on this site with many events kicking off with sub 30 players. This combined with exceptionally poor turn outs for the deep stack events has been a real surprise to me! The headhunter/bounty format seems to be better supported but the standard is very, (and I say this with the greatest respect) a bit bingo. Opening up in the UTG position with pockets jacks/tens with a 4x BB bet can lead to 3 or 4 callers with a variety of QJ, K10, A10 range hands etc!!

Also do Sky use an 'Ante' on their events? I've not seen any events yet where they have but very quickly it seems that the average stack in Sky tournamant only has 9 - 12 BB's as the blinds seem to jump rapidly, which doesnt create the greatest game ever as there tends to be no scope to peel off and still have good fold equity left should you miss or feel that you can't move your opponent off the pot. 

Whats everyone ones elses view?  

Comments

• edited May 2010
    thats why personally i dont play them u dont get value for your money the first hour just bingo play better playing the deepstacks m8
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to MTT format on Sky:
    Hi all, I'm a new player to Sky but thought I'd come on and share my views on the MTT schedule and formats. My initial thoughts are that generally the MTT events are poorly supported by the players on this site with many events kicking off with sub 30 players. This combined with exceptionally poor turn outs for the deep stack events has been a real surprise to me! The headhunter/bounty format seems to be better supported but the standard is very, (and I say this with the greatest respect) a bit bingo. Opening up in the UTG position with pockets jacks/tens with a 4x BB bet can lead to 3 or 4 callers with a variety of QJ, K10, A10 range hands etc!! Also do Sky use an 'Ante' on their events? I've not seen any events yet where they have but very quickly it seems that the average stack in Sky tournamant only has 9 - 12 BB's as the blinds seem to jump rapidly, which doesnt create the greatest game ever as there tends to be no scope to peel off and still have good fold equity left should you miss or feel that you can't move your opponent off the pot.  Whats everyone ones elses view?  
    Posted by ACE_RAGE
    I would suggest typing in the chat box that you have jacks.  You'll get more respect.
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to MTT format on Sky:
    Hi all, I'm a new player to Sky but thought I'd come on and share my views on the MTT schedule and formats. My initial thoughts are that generally the MTT events are poorly supported by the players on this site with many events kicking off with sub 30 players. This combined with exceptionally poor turn outs for the deep stack events has been a real surprise to me! The headhunter/bounty format seems to be better supported but the standard is very, (and I say this with the greatest respect) a bit bingo. Opening up in the UTG position with pockets jacks/tens with a 4x BB bet can lead to 3 or 4 callers with a variety of QJ, K10, A10 range hands etc!! Also do Sky use an 'Ante' on their events? I've not seen any events yet where they have but very quickly it seems that the average stack in Sky tournamant only has 9 - 12 BB's as the blinds seem to jump rapidly, which doesnt create the greatest game ever as there tends to be no scope to peel off and still have good fold equity left should you miss or feel that you can't move your opponent off the pot.  Whats everyone ones elses view?  
    Posted by ACE_RAGE
    Hi Mr Rage,

No, Sky Poker do not have any Tournies where Running Antes are used. Effectively, Antes just spice up the action, but Sky Poker offer a full range of Tournament Schedules, ranging from lighning fast, to tortoisely slow.

In fact, the very "fast" Tourneys here consistently attract more runners, FAR more runners, than the slower-paced stuff. It might not be your or my cup of tea to play super-fast stuff, but every single measurement indicator suggests it is what the majority of hardcore Sky Poker players much prefer.

• edited May 2010

Tikay,

What do you put this down to? The larger global sites have massive support for their MTT's, In some case to such an extent you can't even enter a $10 -$30, one unless you have a spare six hours to play as there can be thousands of entries.

Why do you think that Sky Poker attracts a style of player who isn't interested in grinding for long periods and instead like the instant action of that is offered by lightening blinds or head hunter/bounty style structure? Is it because they're relatively new and Sky appeals as its the security of playing on a household name they trust or is it something else?  

• edited May 2010

Great questio ACE, but I'm short of time, as I have PTP in 10 minutes, so I'll reply tomorrow if I may.

Have a good evening.