You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ed's analysis vs my own proclivity vs forum members' thought?

edited May 2010 in Poker Chat
Need to know blinds? did u open raise? Also, when asking for advice you shouldn't include results so i would delete all info after BB's flop check and ask for thoughts from then onwards (basically what you should do on that flop faced with said check.)

Comments

• edited May 2010
    Hi All, (edited after COTTLAD's input - thanks)

I was running well in the 12k BH last night, sat in about 3rd with 87k chips (blinds 2k, 4k).  I'm on the button, , SB has 3 bigs left (worth about £40 as a head prize - but has been folding a lot to ladder), BB is with 80k chips.

Hand was featured and Ed had no problem with way I played it, but I've been going over it a few times and was wondering if I should have done anything different?  Once I was assured a top 20 finish, I was going for the win and not overly interested in laddering.

Not got the hand history. But I have Q9 suited. So, I 3xBB open raise.  SB, pretty expectedly goes all-in. BB flats.

Flop comes QJ10 rainbow.  Check from BB - what should I do?

Any thoughts?  Feedback much appreciated...? :) 

Dan (dtm75)
  • edited May 2010
    I would of led out with a strong bet, slightly below pot size. Presuming the BB is about 3k then there is 27k in the pot, I would bet out about 21k, if he then shoves you have plenty left back and more importantly you are guarenteed to see his hand because the other player is all in, this info an be priceless at latter stages of a tournament.
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Ed's analysis vs my own proclivity vs forum members' thought?:
    I would of led out with a strong bet, slightly below pot size. Presuming the BB is about 3k then there is 27k in the pot, I would bet out about 21k, if he then shoves you have plenty left back and more importantly you are guarenteed to see his hand because the other player is all in, this info an be priceless at latter stages of a tournament.
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Guaranteed showdown also gives more weight to our opponents hand if he raises.  He's bluffing close to 0% of the time.  That said we still have top pair and mugs end of an oesd which is still a strong hand.
    One thing to note is the strength of the call by bb pre-flop.  Quite often a big hand such as AA/KK looking to trap or AK looking to hit a flop and go with it.
    Anyways, we certainly don't want to give free cards on this flop so i bet probably 65% pot.
  • edited May 2010
    If opponent shoves we're really struggling to find the equity to call.  We're a big dog versus AA/KK, we're almost dead versus AK, we're a big dog versus KQ or any set.  The best we can really hope for is something like TJ where we have slightly less than 50% equity.  Am struggling to find many more hands in opponents range other than airballs which i consider unlikely.  That said i probably bet flop 25k (into approx 36?) and reluctantly fold if opponent shoves....... it's pretty close though.
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Ed's analysis vs my own proclivity vs forum members' thought?:
    If opponent shoves we're really struggling to find the equity to call.  We're a big dog versus AA/KK, we're almost dead versus AK, we're a big dog versus KQ or any set.  The best we can really hope for is something like TJ where we have slightly less than 50% equity.  Am struggling to find many more hands in opponents range other than airballs which i consider unlikely.  That said i probably bet flop 25k (into approx 36?) and reluctantly fold if opponent shoves....... it's pretty close though.
    Posted by cottlad
    Thanks for your time on this.  Retrospectively, a shove from me perhaps wasn't the wisest move.  I was leaning away from 3/4pot c.bet - it's probably what I'd do with air anyway and I guess villain would know this and could possibly shove on me with any K/Q/J or 9 with 2 cards to come...?

One of the hardest things (personally) to factor in, is the BH element. I was worth over £50, SB (£40) and I had seen some people playing extremely wide.  Kind of makes you forget that sometimes, people can have the stone cold nuts.

Less than a year into playing, so it's really good for me to get other player's view.  Second big MTT cash (won open last Tue) in 10 days (but I guess that's as much luck ) - but I don't think I'm a million miles away.
  • edited May 2010

What is 'proclivity'? Have you been eating a dictionary or something?

• edited May 2010
    What is 'proclivity' ? Have you been eating a dictionary or something?
    Posted by loonytoons
    ...am often told my vocabulary is OTT :)  It's a natural inclination. 
  • edited May 2010
    Obvs bet the flop... pretty standard.
  • edited May 2010
    Obvs bet the flop... pretty standard.
    Posted by BlackFish3
    Superb post mr fish well thought out and analysed the situation well......

Or just another nothing post to boost your post count?
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Ed's analysis vs my own proclivity vs forum members' thought? : ...am often told my vocabulary is OTT :)  It's a natural inclination. 
    Posted by dtm75
    ok so whats a natural inclination??? ;)
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Ed's analysis vs my own proclivity vs forum members' thought? : ok so whats a natural inclination??? ;)
    Posted by donkeyplop
    Dogging?
  • edited May 2010
    oh i thought it was a hill lol
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Ed's analysis vs my own proclivity vs forum members' thought? : Superb post mr fish well thought out and analysed the situation well...... Or just another nothing post to boost your post count?
    Posted by big_mick12
    LOL your post was very productive... dont be such a tool m8. I made a short reply because it's an easy decision, if the OP wanted more depth then he could easily ask me.
  • edited May 2010
    I check some here, if i'm betting it's to call a shove and I wouldn't be better very big.